Bob Irving: Max Hall To Start

Bishop is a moron and one of the most overrated QBs to ever play our game. The only season where he "was in a good situation" is the season where the defense carried him the entire way. He just barely did enough to not completely **** up and cost them everything. Good lord, I don't care how little you think of Buck Pierce, you've gotta think this was a far better situation...

I think if we kept Bishop over Pierce, we'd have been in a much better situation currently.

Simply because Bishop's sucking is much more obvious than Pierce's. In a perfect world, we never would have signed Pierce and we would've recruited a different starting QB by now.

BISHOP, M TOR
185/355

52.1%

22 TD
11 INT

87.5 QBR

only played like 12 games - Projecting these numbers over 18

4400 yards
33 TD's
17 INT's

Compared to Pierce in 2011
261 411 63.5 3,348 92 14 3.4 18 4.4

I can't remember how many games Pierce missed in 2011... I think he played like 16 games or something amazing like that

I'd rather have Bishop from 2007 than Pierce in 2011

Here's Glenn's stat line the year he was "run out of town":

GLENN, K 2008 WPG 293 454 64.5 3,637 92 20 4.4 20 4.4 85.6

Not the best TD to INT ratio, for sure, but okay yards considering he missed some time with an injury, and an average QB rating.

Glenn was benched for 3 games.  His huge September brought his numbers way up, but he had some truly awful games in 2008.

Not the best TD to INT ratio, for sure, but okay yards considering he missed some time with an injury, and an average QB rating.

Glenn was benched for 3 games.  His huge September brought his numbers way up, but he had some truly awful games in 2008.

but not nearly as awful as Pierce has been lately, that's the main point to take. 

but not nearly as awful as Pierce has been lately, that's the main point to take. 

I don't know about that.  Glenn stunk in 2008 pretty bad.  I think a lot of it had to do with having Kit "I'm the mirror-image of Crowton" Cartwright as the OC.  He was about as knowledgable about the Canadian game as Bart Andrus and Gary Busey.

No that's not the case at all. Glenn being bad was still better than Pierce this season and last as well.  

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.  I remember Glenn was pitiful in 2008.  I just looked back at the stats from the first five games and I was right.  Glenn threw 7 interceptions and 2 TD's in the first 5 games of the season that year, before Dinwiddie took over.  Glenn was playing scared that year because of his broken arm, and of course he had a terrible OC.  I went to a practice that year after Dinwiddie took over number one spot and I could tell Glenn just didn't care.  He didn't want to be here anymore.

Also looking at the stats, it's amazing that I forget what an impact Charles Roberts had on our offence.  I think for a lot of years, Charles Robert carried this team's offence all on his own.  I look at 2008 and I see bad stats for passing, yet we were still in games and getting points all because of one guy, CR.  Now that we have no running game, we can't hide the fact that we also have no passing game.  So everything is exposed.

I still scratch my head when I think we let CR go when we did during the 2008 season.  All because Berry and CR didn't get along.  So dumb.  So many bad decisions between 2008 and now.  Unbelievable.

No that's not the case at all. Glenn being bad was still better than Pierce this season and last as well.  

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.  I remember Glenn was pitiful in 2008.  I just looked back at the stats from the first five games and I was right.  Glenn threw 7 interceptions and 2 TD's in the first 5 games of the season that year, before Dinwiddie took over.  Glenn was playing scared that year because of his broken arm, and of course he had a terrible OC.  I went to a practice that year after Dinwiddie took over number one spot and I could tell Glenn just didn't care.  He didn't want to be here anymore.

but I don't recall Glenn every getting bogged down in the sheer number of consecutive 2 and outs that PIerce finds himself doing.

You see, you can't bring up Glenns 0 - 4 start in 2008 or the fact that he threw 2 TDs to 8 Ints before Dinwiddie started game 5.

well how about some context at least? Bad start in 08 for Glenn and he did improve his play later in the year, he was also coming off a MOP nomination in 2007. 

Pierce meanwhile was **** last year and **** this year which is pretty convincing that he's done. 

You see, you can't bring up Glenns 0 - 4 start in 2008 or the fact that he threw 2 TDs to 8 Ints before Dinwiddie started game 5.

well how about some context at least? Bad start in 08 for Glenn and he did improve his play later in the year, he was also coming off a MOP nomination in 2007. 

Pierce meanwhile was **** last year and **** this year which is pretty convincing that he's done. 

All that does is bring us back to Crowton at the controls. I could throw up that was Buck was 'good enough' to get us to the GC game in 2011 with Barresi/Lapo.

This argument will never resolve because there is no 'bad guy'.

All that does is bring us back to Crowton at the controls. I could throw up that was Buck was 'good enough' to get us to the GC game in 2011 with Barresi/Lapo.

well except that PIerce wasn't good enough... They won the east final on the strength of the defense and running game. What did Pierce do in the Grey Cup game other than suck balls until garbage time? The thing that no one backing Pierce seems to want to address is that his struggles are not a new thing, he's been going downhill every since 2010 at the earliest and partway through 2011 at the latest. 

well except that PIerce wasn't good enough... They won the east final on the strength of the defense and running game. What did Pierce do in the Grey Cup game other than suck balls until garbage time? The thing that no one backing Pierce seems to want to address is that his struggles are not a new thing, he's been going downhill every since 2010 at the earliest and partway through 2011 at the latest. 

I'm not backing Pierce.  I'm just saying that Glenn was brutal in 2008.  Was that all his fault?  I don't think so.  Our schemes were terrible.  Glenn proved that by turning it all around in Hamilton under MB in 2009-11.  I think Glenn is a good QB and I would rather have him here in Winnipeg now than what we've got. 

We also benefited greatly in 2008 from Hamilton and Toronto sucking so hard.  Especially later in the year. Five of our eight wins that year were against pitiful excuses for a team in Hamilton and Toronto.  Kind of like we are now.

Good lord, he was good enough to beat Glenn that day 19 - 3, now you're just looking foolish.

Good lord, he was good enough to beat Glenn that day 19 - 3, now you're just looking foolish.

Who exactly looks foolish?

Glenn was 13-18 in that game, much better than Buck's 16-28 with 1 INT.

Or I suppose we should blame Glenn for having his ankle rolled on the first play of the second half.

Who exactly looks foolish?

Glenn was 13-18 in that game, much better than Buck's 16-28 with 1 INT.

Or I suppose we should blame Glenn for having his ankle rolled on the first play of the second half.

Or maybe the fact that it was just too cold for his little hands.......

I'm going to go with Glenn had a bad year in 2008 and was owed about $250,000 up front in 2009 before he took a snap. Good decision at the time, not so much in retrospect. Would be nice to have him here now but that's more a function of the poor quaterbacking we have had in the last 5 years. We're all at the point that we would take an average QB who threw for 3500-4000 yards with 20 tds.