New Impact Players This Year: Our Scouting System

BigBlue

Maybe we sign Curran or Peters at linebacker; perhaps Walters does a little more magic in free agency… He seems to be very good at unearthing quality Canadians that no one has really noticed or cared about.

We have three top picks in the upcoming CIS draft. We might get one of those three to start but the rest of the draft picks will be doing well just to fit in and add some depth. This year’s draft picks are two or perhaps three seasons away from having an impact on our team.

So in terms of bringing in new talent, what we really have left is “mini camps”. Barring a major trade, the only place we are going to find impact players beyond what we already have is through our scouting system.

Will we find a Milt Steagall, Charles Roberts or Chris Williams that can make all the difference in the world to our franchise? Will we find a terrorist to patrol our defensive line? Our line-backing looks thin. What import rookie had a real impact on our team last year?

I guess what I’m asking is what is our American scouting personnel going to do for us this year?

I'm not really sure what you're asking, to be honest.

Our American scouting is hopefully going to find us players to fill the holes we have in our roster?

What I am asking, I guess, is "will our US-based scouting system going to be doing a better job than merely filling holes?"

It has been a while since we’ve seen new prospects capable of becoming superstars for our ball club.

I am asking what can we expect from our US scouting system, realistically, this year, that can make us a significantly better team than last year.

Are our scouts any better or worse than what we find in the rest of the league?

Is coming up with all-star calibre players more than serendipity?

I think one of the biggest things that scouting staff will have had this year is TIME. I mean last year they were pretty much brought in pretty late, not sure how much legit time they had to check out players and all that stuff, heard walters talking about consistency in the staff and that includes the scouting staff. Time, they have had a year now together, Time is a big one i think. 

Now that we have a system in place and it's been in force for a year or so now, I would expect better results than just waiting for the phone to ring.

There must be network of contacts and good old fashioned scouting to reach players that we haven't looked at before. If you're not out there scouring the land, other teams will beat you to "the guy".

Hopefully we don't get beat for "the guy" any more.

On that note - tryouts:

BEDFORD, TEXAS (DALLAS AREA)

When: Saturday, February 28, 2015

HOUSTON, TEXAS

When: Sunday, March 1, 2015

BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA

When: Saturday, March 7, 2015

TUSCON, ARIZONA

When: Sunday, March 8, 2015

KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI

When: Saturday, March 21, 2015

FARGO, NORTH DAKOTA

When: Sunday, March 22, 2015

Maybe we sign Curran or Peters at linebacker; perhaps Walters does a little more magic in free agency… He seems to be very good at unearthing quality Canadians that no one has really noticed or cared about.

We have three top picks in the upcoming CIS draft. We might get one of those three to start but the rest of the draft picks will be doing well just to fit in and add some depth. This year’s draft picks are two or perhaps three seasons away from having an impact on our team.

So in terms of bringing in new talent, what we really have left is “mini camps”. Barring a major trade, the only place we are going to find impact players beyond what we already have is through our scouting system.

Will we find a Milt Steagall, Charles Roberts or Chris Williams that can make all the difference in the world to our franchise? Will we find a terrorist to patrol our defensive line? Our line-backing looks thin. What import rookie had a real impact on our team last year?

I guess what I’m asking is what is our American scouting personnel going to do for us this year?

Milt Steagall? Steagall? Seriously?

Our American scouting is hopefully going to find us players to fill the holes we have in our roster?

What I am asking, I guess, is "will our US-based scouting system going to be doing a better job than merely filling holes?"

It has been a while since we’ve seen new prospects capable of becoming superstars for our ball club.

I am asking what can we expect from our US scouting system, realistically, this year, that can make us a significantly better team than last year.

Has it? Not really.

We've been coming up with studs for years. It's the depth that's been the issue.

Has it? Not really.

We've been coming up with studs for years. It's the depth that's been the issue.

Yeah that's a ridiculous sentiment. One thing Joe Mack did was bring in prospects who can be stars. The list stacks up with any other team in the league I would suspect. 

Fargo tryout?

Surely I can fill Dan West's role!

But can you fill Stoudemire's jockey shorts? :)

Alright, there have been several "Stoudemire references" on the forum. What did I miss?  And I hope I won't regret asking...

Click on my avi and take a close look. The picture is small but what you'll see isn't.  B)  Or you can see the picture on his twitter account: https://twitter.com/_Stoudermire11

Fargo tryout?

Surely I can fill Dan West's role!

But can you fill Stoudemire's jockey shorts? :)

Alright, there have been several "Stoudemire references" on the forum. What did I miss? And I hope I won't regret asking...

Click on my avi and take a close look. The picture is small but what you'll see isn't. B)
Stoudermire has a few rolls of toonies and a couple tennis balls in his shorts

I'm guessing they'll invite a bunch of guys from the whole midwest to the Fargo tryout camp, but an odd location.  You'd think they'd just have it in the Minneapolis area.

It's simple, they want to end the day with some rides down the waterslides at Canadinns.