Brohm re-signs with Bombers

gbill2004

Because of Brohm's quick reads/release, at times I wondered last season whether he was a better fit for the offense than Willy. While he should have more time this year with the improved OL, Willy needs to work on speeding up his reads and release.

I'd hoped we might have seen more of Brohm that we did.

As 2014 went by Drew Willy got banged around and it had a negative impact on his progress. After he injured his shoulder he appeared to have lost all measure of poise and confidence.

But he continued to take way too long to make decisions behind an Oline that was a work in progress. That's when we shouldve seen more of Brohm.

If Brohm re-signs we'll have 2 classic pocket passers in Willy and Brohm and a pair of scramblers in Marve and Portis. Throw to score. Run to win.

I really really don't understand why anyone would prefer Brohm over Marve. The offence performed incredibly well with Marve at the helm, considering the circumstances. They scored 29 points (should've been 36) in the 53 minutes that he played. He was only sacked once during that time, did not throw an interception nor fumble the ball... He basically did everything necessary to win games.

He was our best QB in training camp/preseason, and by all accounts, was extremely impressive in practice all year. The only thing that scares me about him is his knees.

I don't really care where Brohm sits on the DC behind Willy. I just want more than Marve's wonky knee behind Willy. If that is Brohm/Marve or Glenn/Marve I am happy. I do not want to see a circumstance in which we have Marve/Portis for an extended period of time.

Good point. It's certainly a good idea to have some insurance at the backup position, but I just hope that Brohm is not being anointed the #2 QB by default like last year.

I don't really care where Brohm sits on the DC behind Willy. I just want more than Marve's wonky knee behind Willy. If that is Brohm/Marve or Glenn/Marve I am happy. I do not want to see a circumstance in which we have Marve/Portis for an extended period of time.

Good point. It's certainly a good idea to have some insurance at the backup position, but I just hope that Brohm is not being anointed the #2 QB by default like last year.

Brohm wasn't just handed the the #2 spot..he obviously showed enough to earn it.

Like i said before, Marve was an exciting alternative but until he gets more reps, he will remain just that, an alternative. It will be a lot harder for him when teams are better prepared for his style of play, just like Jpan has mentioned.

But it really doesn't matter because if we are arguing for more than one guy as our backup QB…that's a good sign, and if Marve can beat out Brohm in TC, then all is good.

Marve is the exciting QB. He made plays using his feet. He is a totally different QB than what we're used to seeing.

That doesn't make him a better QB than Brohm.

Doublezero is correct in his assessment of Brohm's quick reads and accurate throws. He seems the more accomplished QB.

Personally, I feel better having him backing up Willy more so than Marve…at least for now.

I hope he signs soon.

Watching that last game of the season again, Willy was just taking too long to make his reads. He was given the ball on the 5 yard line with 30 seconds left in the first half, dropped back in the pocket and just stood there, until a Stampeder jumped on him and he fumbled. In the third quarter Marve was given the same opportunity with the ball on the 5 and he dropped back and fired a bullet in to Denmark for the TD. Willy has to get rid of the ball faster.

Brohm wasn't just handed the the #2 spot..he obviously showed enough to earn it.

Like i said before, Marve was an exciting alternative but until he gets more reps, he will remain just that, an alternative. It will be a lot harder for him when teams are better prepared for his style of play.

But it really doesn't matter because if we are arguing for more than one guy as our backup QB…that's a good sign, and if Marve can beat out Brohm in TC, then all is good.

I'm not sure he did... He was only slightly better than Max Hall in preseason, and that's why he got a roster spot. The only reason he was anointed the primary backup is because we used an asset to acquire him and because he had more professional experience.

Why do so many people want to rush young QBs and then when the QBs don't pan out they complain that we aren't developing any.

You can't develop a QB without giving him playing time. If it wasn't for Brohm getting injured last year, Marve probably wouldn't have seen the field at all.

Watching that last game of the season again, Willy was just taking too long to make his reads. He was given the ball on the 5 yard line with 30 seconds left in the first half, dropped back in the pocket and just stood there, until a Stampeder jumped on him and he fumbled. In the third quarter Marve was given the same opportunity with the ball on the 5 and he dropped back and fired a bullet in to Denmark for the TD. Willy has to get rid of the ball faster.

There is no doubt Willy has to get rid of the ball faster. That will have to be the biggest area of improvement in his game.

As to Marve - great, hope he can do it many times over.

I'm not sure he did... He was only slightly better than Max Hall in preseason, and that's why he got a roster spot. The only reason he was anointed the primary backup is because we used an asset to acquire him and because he had more professional experience.

Well, that's an assumption on your part and it may have a degree of accuracy, but on the other hand, it may be just because Brohm had a better grasp of all aspects of the offence, and it showed when he had his playing time.

Why do so many people want to rush young QBs and then when the QBs don't pan out they complain that we aren't developing any.

You can't develop a QB without giving him playing time. If it wasn't for Brohm getting injured last year, Marve probably wouldn't have seen the field at all.

I was not overly impressed with O'Shea's management of resources last year, especially during the 7 game skid.  Backup QB's should have gained more playing time during this period.  Cotton/Grigsby took too long to resolve and Romby should have remained parked on the PR roster throughout IMO.  Hopefully O'Shea acquires more flexibility in his thinking than he exhibited in his rookie year.

Nothing wrong with letting a QB hold a clipboard and learn the nuances of the CFL game for a season or two. How much playing time do you think Mitchell and Reilly had in their first CFL seasons.

yeah you can. Especially when they've only had one year in the CFL. What you want isn't developing a player, you want to rush a player and hope he's an instant hit. Experience matters and Brohm has more than Marve at this point. 

Marve is the exciting QB. He made plays using his feet. He is a totally different QB than what we're used to seeing.

That doesn't make him a better QB than Brohm.

Doublezero is correct in his assessment of Brohm's quick reads and accurate throws. He seems the more accomplished QB.

Personally, I feel better having him backing up Willy more so than Marve…at least for now.

I hope he signs soon.

Right on. At the end of the season, apart from the physical beating he had taken, Willy looked like a deer in the headlights and that concerns me. I hope he can shake all that off before the start of training camp.

We're going to see how he is very early in the season, and i think our next best hope is Marve, wonky knee and all.

I was not overly impressed with O'Shea's management of resources last year, especially during the 7 game skid.  Backup QB's should have gained more playing time during this period.  Cotton/Grigsby took too long to resolve and Romby should have remained parked on the PR roster throughout IMO.  Hopefully O'Shea acquires more flexibility in his thinking than he exhibited in his rookie year.

100% with you on this. Don't know if it was stubbornness or factors beyond our knowledge that led O'Shea astray here. My hunch is these were Bellefueille's decisions and O'Shea basically deferred all offence-related stuff to his OC.

Meantime, c'mon let's get Brian Brohm signed. I'd hate for him to end up in BC and us with KG5. No upside there.