Mike Richards on waivers

Jpan85

I would absolutely not make a claim with full salary.  Im not even sure I'd do it at half the salary although someone probably will.  he's got three or four more years on his deal I think.  At half the salary....?  Hmmmm, Im just not sure he's useful three years from now.  But yeah probably at half the salary I'd take him because he's instantly make our bottom six a lot better and he's a proven playoff guy who will bring a lot of emotion and "lead by example" in the playoffs.

But I assume LA didnt want to retain half his salary or whatever it might have taken to get him.  Im sure the Jets would love to have him under the right terms and since the Kings wanted to trade him, we can assume Kings and Jets spoke about a deal.  It didnt work out so I would suspect strongly the Jets wont be in on a claim for him.

L.A. tried to deal him and we were approached. Don't know if we were that interested in a trade but picking him up on waivers might be an option for us, IF we're that interested. He  might/could be an asset in a playoff run.

Trade makes more sense because we could trade a limited asset and get Kings to retain salary.  Jets wont go near him at that salary for 5 years.  The last two years, however, are not too bad at $3 million (even though its a higher cap hit).  Kings would have to retain some salary though.  What were they thinking not buying him out?

L.A. tried to deal him and we were approached. Don't know if we were that interested in a trade but picking him up on waivers might be an option for us, IF we're that interested. He  might/could be an asset in a playoff run.

Trade makes more sense because we could trade a limited asset and get Kings to retain salary.  Jets wont go near him at that salary for 5 years.  The last two years, however, are not too bad at $3 million (even though its a higher cap hit).  Kings would have to retain some salary though.  What were they thinking not buying him out?

Not every team can afford to pay a guy a lump sum of ~$20 millon to not play for them.

Would you make a claim.

No.  Wasn't a good idea during the summer and hasn't gotten any better now.  His salary would have to get a haircut, followed by a buzzcut, and we already have players on our lineup who have many of his intangibles.

K, well I'd answer Jpan85's question with the same answer you gave as well, but...

- Bringing in Richards makes far more sense now than it did in the offseason. We were largely considered a playoff longshot then, now - legit playoff team who *may* be aspiring to reach round 2. Clearly the weakest link on the roster is the bottom 6 FW group, which Richards fits perfectly.

- We don't have anyone who matches his intangibles. I have no idea how he's fallen as far as he has the last couple of years, but what he has accomplished is signifcant and shouldn't be ignored (nor should his play this and last year for the record) A champion at every level - Jrs, Pros, International. Tough, physical 2 way forward with goal scoring ability.

No, I wouldn't want him for anything near $5M. And no, certainly not for another 5 years.....but let's not pretend this is the worst idea ever. Richards would certainly help the Jets.

L.A. tried to deal him and we were approached. Don't know if we were that interested in a trade but picking him up on waivers might be an option for us, IF we're that interested. He might/could be an asset in a playoff run.

Trade makes more sense because we could trade a limited asset and get Kings to retain salary. Jets wont go near him at that salary for 5 years. The last two years, however, are not too bad at $3 million (even though its a higher cap hit). Kings would have to retain some salary though. What were they thinking not buying him out?

Not every team can afford to pay a guy a lump sum of ~$20 millon to not play for them.

The Kings can.

L.A. tried to deal him and we were approached. Don't know if we were that interested in a trade but picking him up on waivers might be an option for us, IF we're that interested. He might/could be an asset in a playoff run.

Trade makes more sense because we could trade a limited asset and get Kings to retain salary. Jets wont go near him at that salary for 5 years. The last two years, however, are not too bad at $3 million (even though its a higher cap hit). Kings would have to retain some salary though. What were they thinking not buying him out?

The Kings can.

You don't know the first thing about their finances.

The Kings can.

Please inform us all of the intimate nature of their finances then.

Or are you really going to be so anal as to pretend it wasnt widely believed by almost all hockey insiders that the Kings were going to buy Richards out last year and were certainly financially capable of doing so?

im not really sure what the Kings' end game here is.  Perhaps this is a desperate move hoping someone blinks and snatches him but if he clears to the AHL I believe the Kings are still on the hook for $4.8 million of his cap.  So why not trade him and retain $10million - $15million of his total contract and see if a team would take him.

The Kings can.

I don't know anymore than you do.  Which is to say neither of us know anything.  You read some speculation, good for you.  It didn't happen did it?  So maybe you shouldn't always believe what you read.

Kings did try to trade him several times but that contract is so bad the only thing it sounds like other teams were willing to give up was their bad contracts. Think Clarkson for Richards type things. Why would LA do that. Why not buy him out? It's a valid question. Kings have a very rich owner for sure

Would you make a claim.

No.  Wasn't a good idea during the summer and hasn't gotten any better now.  His salary would have to get a haircut, followed by a buzzcut, and we already have players on our lineup who have many of his intangibles.

K, well I'd answer Jpan85's question with the same answer you gave as well, but...

- Bringing in Richards makes far more sense now than it did in the offseason. We were largely considered a playoff longshot then, now - legit playoff team who *may* be aspiring to reach round 2. Clearly the weakest link on the roster is the bottom 6 FW group, which Richards fits perfectly.

- We don't have anyone who matches his intangibles. I have no idea how he's fallen as far as he has the last couple of years, but what he has accomplished is signifcant and shouldn't be ignored (nor should his play this and last year for the record) A champion at every level - Jrs, Pros, International. Tough, physical 2 way forward with goal scoring ability.

No, I wouldn't want him for anything near $5M. And no, certainly not for another 5 years.....but let's not pretend this is the worst idea ever. Richards would certainly help the Jets.

I agree, but disagree.  Nothing wrong with Richards the person or Richards the player, but Richards the player at 6M/5yr on the 3rd or 4th line is a problem for the Kings and it's a problem for the Jets.  His resume is fantastic, no doubt about it.

"Tough, physical 2 way forward with goal scoring ability."  Absolutely.  But, we already have that guy in Andrew Ladd, and his goal-scoring ability over the last 3 seasons is trending up, not down, and he costs less than Richards.  Would I like to have another guy like that on the roster?  Sure, probably every team would.

The Jets have the youth coming up and Ladd and Buff to extend over the next season or two.  6M/5yr just doesn't fit that plan unless you do something like dump Ladd, and considering Ladd is significantly more productive than Richards, it isn't a strategy that makes sense.

I like Richards, but he's screwed by his great contract.  If the Jets go shopping in the next while a forward in the 2M/2yr range suits them a lot better, and some of those guys will come with great intangibles too.

The Kings can.

I don't know anymore than you do.  Which is to say neither of us know anything.  You read some speculation, good for you.  It didn't happen did it?  So maybe you shouldn't always believe what you read.

You're right.  Applying common sense and logic to this, the Kings are willing to send Richards to the minors and still eat most of his salary but were not financially able to buy him out after winning the Cup. 

I'm sure they gave a buy-out a lot of thought but in the end chose not to.  Paying someone 20 million to do nothing is not a choice most people make if there are alternatives.  He's won 2 cups with them.  They hoped his game would come back to the level that warranted his salary.  It has not.

The Kings can.

You're right.  Applying common sense and logic to this, the Kings are willing to send Richards to the minors and still eat most of his salary but were not financially able to buy him out after winning the Cup. 

Yeah because Mike Richards is really going to be in the minors for the next five years.  Come on.

Atomic - you sure are grumpy today and do a lot of nitpicking without contributing much.

So whats your prediction?  They send him to minors, bring him back and pretend it never happened?  Whats the end game?  (I think I know but since you're an expert, you tell us).

The reason the Kings didnt buy him out was because during exit interviews they asked him to do X amount of things over the summer (I believe that entailed fitness related things) and he apparently did more than was asked and they thought he'd contribute more.  It was a stupid decision not to buy him out then.

Will someone take him?  Probably.  If Im a team struggling to get to the floor, he's the perfect guy.  He has 5 years left and the real dollars are less than the cap dollars.  Not a great situation for Richards, but pretty good situation for a broke team.

Total value might be less then the cap hit but he still has some high priced years in there.

14/15 - 7 M  (would have to eat just under half of it)

15/16 - 6 M

16/17 - 5.5 M

17/18 - 4.5M

18/19 - 3M

You only really see savings in the last 3 years and even then, it isn't a lot of savings as compared to the cap hit of 5.75M

You can make that argument in the last 2 years, but there is this season and 2 more before you get there.