Do the Bombers REALLY sit on announcements?

BigBlue

Yes we know the Blue (and all other teams) will often bundle up the signings of two or three prospect signings...

but do they ever sit on a fairly major announcement?

Would there be a reason to do that?

Could it even be kept secret with the sophisticated rumor mill out there run through social media, undisciplined players and competitive reporters?

They don't cater to fans on message boards, the 1 or 2 percent if that of the fans.. they space it out so the average fan, my parents, my girlfriend, people like that... so they go oh the bombers are in the news now. Cool.

It's not about catering to impatient fans on message boards that's for sure. 

The DC announcement is for the 2% of the fans who are on the message boards.  The average fans girlfriend, parents and people like that don't care.  Even the casual fans themselves don't even think about the Bombers in the off season unless there's a major free agent signing.  Some may read about the draft.  Most will wait until it's close to training camp.  

Honestly, if i asked my friends who are casual bomber fans, they watch the games and even go to games but don't follow the team that closely in the off-season, I mean the Jets are the team right now to be watching, but if i asked them now, who are the coaches of the bombers, they would just say Mike O'shea or that guy from the argos even, not sure some even know his name, If i asked them who the DC is, they would say what is the DC... Casual fans don't care especially in January, there is snow on the ground, we got a hockey team to watch, they just don't care at the moment. Once the season gets closer, people will start to care. When the bombers do name the DC, there will be a topic and it will have about 100 or so people commenting on it, when you really think about it, 100 people is nothing. That stadium gets anywhere between 26 and 33000 people at games. 100 people on these boards? It's not about impatient people, it's about keeping the bomber name in the news. YOu think the average fan cares who the DC is? or who they sign in January? Not at all. Once the snow melts tho and the hockey season is over, that's when people will start to care more. 

Heres my best guess, since Darren Cameron is in Arizona it appears, and will be back Monday,I'd honestly expect an announcement on the DC to come shortly, perhaps during the NHL all star break when their is no Jets news, right now, Jets are the talk of the town, 4-0-1 in their last 5, those last 5 games being played in 7 days. 

Next week, i'd expect maybe after the Columbus game on Wednesday, you will hear a bomber announcement. And that's the right way to do it because for the next several days, because of the all star break, there will be no Jets news really. 

You agree that it doesn't matter to the casual fan and yet you call it impatience by those who want to know what's going on.  Wait for the snow to melt to make an announcement?  That doesn't help the people who care about the Bombers in the off season and it doesn't help those who simply don't care until training camp.  The Bombers being in the news tomorrow is no different than being in the news in February. 

Make the decision, sign the candidate, and make the announcement.  We've heard what the decision is and that the top candidate is Hall.  If we've already signed him, I expect there would be something in the Twitterverse or those with inside knowledge would let something slip.  That leads me to believe that there's some snag.  

Maybe Hall figured out that he's worth more than he was when Benevides was still in the picture and the offer we thought was a slam dunk isn't.  Maybe another team is thinking of changing out their DC and Hall has other options.  

Or maybe hall is already hired and they are waiting cuz they enjoy ppl on this board getting their panties in a knot.

See this is what happens where there are no facts to go by.  Folks make up their own version of reality which may or may not be anywhere close to the truth.  

For the record, I seriously doubt that this forum comes up in any of the Bombers decisions.

You agree that it doesn't matter to the casual fan and yet you call it impatience by those who want to know what's going on.  Wait for the snow to melt to make an announcement?  That doesn't help the people who care about the Bombers in the off season and it doesn't help those who simply don't care until training camp.  The Bombers being in the news tomorrow is no different than being in the news in February. 

Make the decision, sign the candidate, and make the announcement.  We've heard what the decision is and that the top candidate is Hall.  If we've already signed him, I expect there would be something in the Twitterverse or those with inside knowledge would let something slip.  That leads me to believe that there's some snag.  

Maybe Hall figured out that he's worth more than he was when Benevides was still in the picture and the offer we thought was a slam dunk isn't.  Maybe another team is thinking of changing out their DC and Hall has other options.  

You must have missed the part where this DID happen. Gary Lawless has been saying it's a done deal for a week. 

Or maybe hall is already hired and they are waiting cuz they enjoy ppl on this board getting their panties in a knot.

Then announce it so guys like you can get your panties untied  lecturing everyone else not to get theirs in a knot. I'd be grateful just for that.  ;)

Just the other day I was sent a calendar that outlined the best days to release news. It'd be interesting to see that matched up with how CFL teams do their media releases. Generally putting things out there Thursday and Friday from 1pm to 3pm Central time things will get better responses than at any other time during the week (until people get onto this and flood those days with info and then it'll switch again). 

Very interesting stuff:

http://www.tubefilter.com/2015/01/12/best-days-times-to-post-youtube-videos-yearly-calendar/

gary lawless@garylawless Jan 11 Richie Hall has a contract in hand and #bombers are just waiting for it to be returned before announcing him as new DC #cfl

gary lawless@garylawless Dec 31 Bombers in contract negotiations with Richie Hall

Contract in hand and signed contract are two different things.

Different tweet.

Post it.  I didn't find anything else in Lawless' twitter feed that was any better than those two.

gary lawless@garylawless Jan 11 Richie Hall has a contract in hand and #bombers are just waiting for it to be returned before announcing him as new DC #cfl

gary lawless@garylawless Dec 31 Bombers in contract negotiations with Richie Hall

Contract in hand and signed contract are two different things.

Different tweet.

Post it. I didn't find anything else in Lawless' twitter feed that was any better than those two.
There's a lot of tweets from Lawless that I can't find, but I can vouch for Mike that he did tweet "Hall as bombers DC a done deal."

Can only find this information:

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

Bob Irving ‏@BobIrvingCJOB 3m3 minutes ago

Expect Richie hall to be named bombers defensive co-ordinator within days.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:56 PM

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Hall are in contract negotiations and if things continue to positively move forward, Hall could be named defensive coordinator as early as next week. - Gary Lawless - Winnipeg Free Press - Dec 31 - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Bombers-in-contract-negotiations-with-Richie-Hall-287232741.html

Hall as #bombers DC a done deal

Where is Jacquie? She's the resident pro for stuff like this.

I recall a tweet like that as well but I've come up empty though. He may have deleted it. Gbill had a post on Jan 14 where he said that Lawless had tweeted it that day but I couldn't find it.

From Jan 14:

@garylawless: morning. heading to Dallas for #nhlJets game on Thursday. OK, 10 questions before my coffee is ready. Go.

@Miyagithepug: @garylawless When do Bombers announce Hall signing?

@garylawless: @Miyagithepug any day. done deal

I recall a tweet like that as well but I've come up empty though. He may have deleted it. Gbill had a post on Jan 14 where he said that Lawless had tweeted it that day but I couldn't find it.

From Jan 14:

@garylawless: morning. heading to Dallas for #nhlJets game on Thursday. OK, 10 questions before my coffee is ready. Go.

@Miyagithepug: @garylawless When do Bombers announce Hall signing?

@garylawless: @Miyagithepug any day. done deal

Excellent work young lad! The daily bugle might have a home for you yet :)