NFL is boring.

Mark F

I follow the NFL, and I enjoy it, cause of the skill of the players, but watching some of these games just makes it more obvious why I would rather watch the CFL.

No matter how many rules changes they make to help the offence, it's still low scoring, and kind of dull.

Bengals have 60 odd yards of offence since the first quarter of their game. Yawn

The space that a quarterback has to fit a ball into to complete as pass is tiny, in the NFL.

The one thing they really need to do, is make the field, bigger, including the end zone.  I'm sure lots of people have seen an NFL field. I saw one for the first time last summer…. I was amazed at how small it is.

Course they will not do that.

Same goes for NHL, the rink should be made bigger, too hard to complete a pass, or make a nice move around someone, players are bigger, and there's not enough

space.

I don't think anything is wrong with the field size... look at Arena football and how gawdy the point totals are.    

I enjoy the NFL more so because the level of talent is amazing and it isn't expected that receivers are to drop balls every 2nd play....   

I agree.  IMO their are two primary factors:

1. An extra down allows them to play more smash-mouth football. Draws, dump-offs, screens, et. al.

2. The insane amount of time that teams can just burn off with the extra down and the 40 second clock.

Definitely agree with number 2. I'm not sure where i saw it but someone did a "chart" or "graph" of how much "action" actually happens in a  15 minute quarter in the NFL, and it was something silly like only 5 (not exactly) or so minutes of actual game time. 

Cfl needs less stoppages. Canceling PI challenges will help

And then we get a call in the CFL like last week in Dallas & a team loses a championship & we donèt have replay anymore. No, the PI review needs to be tweaked not eliminated because of calls like we saw in the NFL that are unreviewable. The CFL needs no Rod Black & a way to get the refs out of taking over games by being flag happy. 

For entertainment purposes you may be right... but so many of those over turned calls were big on the final score of the game.

What the league needs is to push the season up,  more holding calls being called,   and more talent....

One thing I don't get about NFL is how a team can look so good, and then do nothing…

New England couldn't run the ball the other day, after having a good run game all season. 

The Broncos looked like they just wanted the season to be over.

anyway, Muamba gets to play in the championship game, which is great.

One thing I don't get about NFL is how a team can look so good, and then do nothing…

New England couldn't run the ball the other day, after having a good run game all season. 

New England was just outside the bottom third in the league when it came to running the ball this season.   Team average of 3.9 yards per carry isn't considered a "good run game" in any sense of term ..

This.

I agree.  IMO their are two primary factors:

1. An extra down allows them to play more smash-mouth football. Draws, dump-offs, screens, et. al.

2. The insane amount of time that teams can just burn off with the extra down and the 40 second clock.

I love both flavours of football (I grew up playing American ball) but I truly believe the one thing the NFL would benefit from is a 25 second clock (similar to what the NCAA used up to 2008).   It would definitely help the tempo of some games.

New England was just outside the bottom third in the league when it came to running the ball this season.   Team average of 3.9 yards per carry isn't considered a "good run game" in any sense of term ..

It is when you have four downs. 

It is when you have four downs. 

No .. it really isn't .. 3.9 yards per carry is terrible in any circumstance.

8.3 %

what is it for hockey? higher than that.  They can go for several minutes without a stop.

Another thing about the NFL that really befuddles me… coaches being interviewed for jobs with other teams, while their team is in the playoffs. 

what if Tom Brady decided to go for an interview with the Texans, middle of the week before the semi final. Impossible. but the coordinator can. 

It would be interesting to match up playoff team losses with assistant coach interviews with other teams.

"ATLANTA (AP) -- Seattle's NFC championship game win won't stop the Atlanta Falcons from talking with Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.

Quinn's agent, Rick Smith, confirmed to The Associated Press on Sunday night the Falcons will have their second interview with Quinn on Monday."

Yahoo sports, yesterday.

there are others, I think.

makes no sense.

• 2 weeks later...