Rod Pedersen on the Bombers

Atomic

As noted before, Rod is basically on the Riders' payroll so you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt (even in media circles, he's a joke), but here's his take on the Bombers' current situation:

* The Blue Bombers appear to be nowhere near ready to hire a General Manager.  They're still firing people, including Sunday's dismissal of offensive coordinator Gary Crowton.  If you're paying attention, Crowton was a holdover from the Joe Mack regime as Mack hired Crowton to be Paul Lapolice's offensive coordinator after Jamie Baressi was let go days after the 2011 Grey Cup.

A buddy in Winnipeg emailed me a list of people who aren't working for the Bombers, but are still being paid by them.  These are rough estimates of what they're earning: Paul Lapolice ($200,000), Joe Mack ($300,000), Garth Buchko ($300,000), Gary Crowton ($100,000).

* A disaster.  An absolute trainwreck.  As one source in Winnipeg put it, "As bad as it looks on the outside, it's 10 times worse inside".  And, the source said "Gene Dunn and David Asper are running this team."  If that's the case, take a bow.

* Had a chance to chat briefly with TSN colour commentator Duane Forde about the vacant Bomber GM job.  I asked him what his stock line is when asked about the opening.  "I don't have one," Forde said.  "No one there has approached me."

* Regarding Jeremy O'Day, a source close to him told me the Rider Assistant GM could be here for a long time yet because he's smart enough to realize it's better to be where he is with a stable organization than to be in charge of the Titanic.

Because Pedersen is from Regina people want to simply dismiss what he has said? I am not sure that is a good reason. Like Madani and Lawless these guys all have sources in and around the CFL. It is a small league and the interconnections between teams are significant. Perhaps there is more fact than fiction in what he says.

Once all the housecleaning is completed and the smoke has cleared, any smart aspiring GM would take a serious look at the GM position with the BB.

You would walk into a brand new high quality facility to attract players to, a very passionate fan base, a solid core to build a team around, an extremely passionate CEO with both football knowledge and business savvy, and a very hard working asst GM (acting GM) who has a very good handle on the CIS.

All you have to do is convince your HC to step down to DC, elevate MB to HC, and convince Khari to come be the OC. Then trade for or find a starting QB and you already have done better than the previous 2 or 3 GM's.

Seems easy enough ;)

Do we hate David Asper because he's from a wealthy family or because he couldn't get the Stadium deal done?  I'm not sure yet.

Personally, my feelings on Asper are, here is a guy that bleeds blue & gold, is a very successful businessman, comes from a very successful business family, has a ton of contacts and good will in the business community (always a good thing when hiring and asking for corporate support) and did everything he could do build a new stadium and own this team, including being willing to pay a heck of a lot more than the team was worth.  So if firing Buchko, Mack & Crowton are examples of his influence, I'm all for it.

He screwed up when he was caught physically confronting the coach a few years back but honestly, how many of us wanted to do the same thing?  He was emotional because he wanted success.  He paid his price.

My issue with Asper goes back to when he was head of our BOG and ran on to the field that one time, screaming at the coach. (Was that during Daley's time?) Asper is way too much of a fanboi, and anybody that's spent enough time around here knows that you don't want ANY of us in a position of power with the team, because we're all lunatics. Asper is a lunatic fanboi in a position of power. That's terrifying. Now, having said that, I don't believe (necessarily) that he's "Running the team" with Gene Dunn. That seems like a lot of speculation and conjecture from people who don't have access to the inside, so they're just making **** up.

I remember being ****-scared during that time. I have no doubts that Mr. Asper (as with most of you here) is a very nice person, but as with all overly-passionate lunatic fanbois (and fangirls...) you don't want them in a position of power like this, where rash, knee-jerk decisions can get you in a LOT of trouble.

So if your brother has a business go sour we can assume you're inept?

He runs Creswin.  Is that not a successful business?

Lots of reasons for the downfall of CanWest and many people will point to Izzy's rapid expansion, not the leadership of Leonard.  But CanWest has little to do with this issue.

He and his siblings are living on Dad's name and have been unssuccesful on their own. Throw in the poor job on the stadium and as others have said his fanboyness and I don't want him running the team.

If I was running our team, I'm sure I'd have drunk dialed Jim Barker and tried to trade Tim Burke, Henoc Muamba and our next three draft picks for Ricky Ray by now.

I do have his phone number...

Closing time at the Pal?

Why would the WBB's have contacted either Forde or O'Day yet.  The search for a new GM has formally not started yet.  Rod knows that but just wanted to stir the pot. 

The comment about Dunn and Asper is odd and quite frankly confusing.   Quite honestly it's a form of Internet trolling and a useless piece of information unless he backs it up with some detail. 

I would think ODay is pretty far down the wishlist...

'Hey there, I know that you've only been an assistant GM in the league for two years but you've helped the guy we fired in 2009 build a great team but he's not coming back.  And I know you bleed green and all that but, hey, do you want to run the Bombers?  We love taking chances on rookies... its fun!'

My vote is almost anyone other than ODay.