Rod Pedersen on the Bombers

Atomic

This may sound great & no doubt Walters worked hard but I want an experienced GM in place who has won in the past. A guy who has successfully done it before. We've gone this route bringing in personnel guys who've never run a team (Mack) & it got us nowhere. Let's do it right this time. Let Watters learn the biz under someone other than Joe Mack.

This may sound great & no doubt Walters worked hard but I want an experienced GM in place who has won in the past. A guy who has successfully done it before. We've gone this route bringing in personnel guys who've never run a team (Mack) & it got us nowhere. Let's do it right this time. Let Watters learn the biz under someone other than Joe Mack.

from the sound of this article Mack spent the entire time he was GM sitting in a lawn chair sipping mai-tais.  I don't get the aversion to signing other team's cast-offs.  If you look at some of the schlubs on the Riders that are having great seasons this year it only makes sense that some players may be difference makers for you that couldn't fit in with another team.

that's not at all what I got from the piece about Mack. I got that he was convinced he could recruit better players down south than he'd find up north, cast off from other teams. I don't think I realized just how little he thought of Canadian football, and maybe he thought he could just take an American approach to this game because somehow US football is better than Canadian football, period. Damn shame.

from the sound of this article Mack spent the entire time he was GM sitting in a lawn chair sipping mai-tais.  I don't get the aversion to signing other team's cast-offs.  If you look at some of the schlubs on the Riders that are having great seasons this year it only makes sense that some players may be difference makers for you that couldn't fit in with another team.

Why do you think I'm so frigging anti Mack here & why I hated the guy (still do) as a GM & slam him every chance I get? His philosophy sucked & we were stuck with him a year too long when it became apparent he was never going to build a winner here.

Why do you think I'm so frigging anti Mack here & why I hated the guy (still do) as a GM & slam him every chance I get? His philosophy sucked & we were stuck with him a year too long when it became apparent he was never going to build a winner here.

The whole not talking to other teams is just plain weird.  I know that Mack seemed to be kind of distant but on the other hand what's the point of just never talking to anybody else in the league and walling yourself off?  Was Mack scared he was going to get fleeced?  I don't get it.

SOme people are not cut out for roles where they need to network and work with people they don't always like personally.

These types are not suited for GM or coaching type positions, but can do just fine as scouts, analysts, advisors, etc.

Mack had no business being in the big chair. Thank you WBB BOard!

I was saying a year ago that Mack's rumoured standoffish approach with other CFL GM's was going to bite him in the ass.

When the guy took a flyer on attending the Grey Cup, the biggest event of the CFL year, to me that was a huge red flag (though not to some others around here).

I guess some, myself included, didn't see it as a big deal especially since he wasn't the only GM not there and the Bombers were well represented. Still don't.

Mack was very good at recruiting import players in every position with unfortunately the exception of QB and O-line......

I don't think mack was sipping drinks and sitting on his ass doing nothing..... I do however think his method of getting his own players and completely ignoring quality free agents definitely bit him in the ass in the end.  

As noted before, Rod is basically on the Riders' payroll so you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt (even in media circles, he's a joke), but here's his take on the Bombers' current situation:

* The Blue Bombers appear to be nowhere near ready to hire a General Manager.  They're still firing people, including Sunday's dismissal of offensive coordinator Gary Crowton.  If you're paying attention, Crowton was a holdover from the Joe Mack regime as Mack hired Crowton to be Paul Lapolice's offensive coordinator after Jamie Baressi was let go days after the 2011 Grey Cup.

A buddy in Winnipeg emailed me a list of people who aren't working for the Bombers, but are still being paid by them.  These are rough estimates of what they're earning: Paul Lapolice ($200,000), Joe Mack ($300,000), Garth Buchko ($300,000), Gary Crowton ($100,000).

* A disaster.  An absolute trainwreck.  As one source in Winnipeg put it, "As bad as it looks on the outside, it's 10 times worse inside".  And, the source said "Gene Dunn and David Asper are running this team."  If that's the case, take a bow.

* Had a chance to chat briefly with TSN colour commentator Duane Forde about the vacant Bomber GM job.  I asked him what his stock line is when asked about the opening.  "I don't have one," Forde said.  "No one there has approached me."

* Regarding Jeremy O'Day, a source close to him told me the Rider Assistant GM could be here for a long time yet because he's smart enough to realize it's better to be where he is with a stable organization than to be in charge of the Titanic.

Do the Bombers need anymore motivation than this going into the LDC.

Is there even any pride left in that locker room.

Mack was very good at recruiting import players in every position with unfortunately the exception of QB and O-line......

I don't think mack was sipping drinks and sitting on his ass doing nothing..... I do however think his method of getting his own players and completely ignoring quality free agents definitely bit him in the ass in the end.  

Your first sentence... What team have you been watching this season? You forgot to mention linebacker, secondary & receiver.

I have less and less faith in the media with each passing day. Penton runs his "The Insiders" column each week which today featured a tidbit which highlighted the questionable knowledge of one of his sources. What kind of credibility can a source have when he refers to Hugh O'Neill as being an o-lineman. And also says something about Penton for running it.

I have less and less faith in the media with each passing day. Penton runs his "The Insiders" column each week which today featured a tidbit which highlighted the questionable knowledge of one of his sources. What kind of credibility can a source have when he refers to Hugh O'Neill as being an o-lineman. And also says something about Penton for running it.

And of course, his response:

@jacquiewinnipeg You are right Jackie! My sources are fine, though. That was a mixup between me and my editor.

Mixup between he and his editor? Did the editor change the name?

Perhaps it was Hugh's beard that threw him off.  I hope that Edmonton has a good homeless shelter so that Hugh feels at home.  And he doesn't have to worry about Ralph Klein coming in and throwing money at him while telling him to get a job.

Perhaps it was Hugh's beard that threw him off.  I hope that Edmonton has a good homeless shelter so that Hugh feels at home.  And he doesn't have to worry about Ralph Klein coming in and throwing money at him while telling him to get a job.

Ralph died earlier this year.

Ralph died earlier this year.

Yeah I know.  Which is why I said that Hugh didn't have to worry about him coming in to the shelter.  Maybe Danielle Smith can try that stunt.  Ralph's popularity went up when he did it, so it might work for Danielle. 

And of course, his response:

@jacquiewinnipeg You are right Jackie! My sources are fine, though. That was a mixup between me and my editor.

I told him later I question his attention to detail since he spelled my name wrong when it's right in front of him.