Riders release; Bombers sign Dominic Picard

gbill2004

That's reasonable though.

It's very likely that one of him or Neufeld will have to go. Do you want 120k+ tied up in your 7th OL? Or do you want it to be free for more useful purposes?

GBill's convinced Neufeld starts at tackle.

I am NOT convinced Neufeld starts at tackle. I proposed that as a very early option of what the OL could look like if the season started tomorrow. Wow.

That's reasonable though.

It's very likely that one of him or Neufeld will have to go. Do you want 120k+ tied up in your 7th OL? Or do you want it to be free for more useful purposes?

GBill's convinced Neufeld starts at tackle.

I am NOT convinced Neufeld starts at tackle. I proposed that as a very early option of what the OL could look like if the season started tomorrow. Wow.

Keep the knickers unknotted, just explaining how one of you gets 6th man and another gets 7th.  And it's not like that was the first time you've used 4 NI's on the Oline as your default for the roster makeup.  Personally I don't see it with the guys we have now, not even with the addition of Picard, but all sorts of roster changes can and will happen between now and Canada long, so who knows?

Who cares... Huge upgrade anywhere

I asked the question so I care. Does anyone know?

He started every game last season for the Argos at LG. The previous season he started one game at RT.

I'd actually like to see Greaves slide out to tackle. i think he's got the arm length and finesse to make that move.

Who cares... Huge upgrade anywhere

I asked the question so I care. Does anyone know?

He started every game last season for the Argos at LG. The previous season he started one game at RT.

I'd actually like to see Greaves slide out to tackle. i think he's got the arm length and finesse to make that move.

Hmmm.  I'll admit there is a lot of logic in this idea.  An athletic Olineman with decent footwork who seems able to think his way around the field.  There would be a significant learning curve, but it might be worth exploring.

@garylawless: would expect #bombers gm Kyle Walters to now go hard after #riders pending UFA Ben Heenan. Let the bidding begin at 250 K #cfl

Could you tweet back that Heenan won't be a free agent for 6 more weeks?  If he even reaches free agency.  Lawless has been banging the Walters needs to sign Heenan drum for 3 months now.  Save it till early February when it means something.

@garylawless: would expect #bombers gm Kyle Walters to now go hard after #riders pending UFA Ben Heenan. Let the bidding begin at 250 K #cfl

Could you tweet back that Heenan won't be a free agent for 6 more weeks? If he even reaches free agency. Lawless has been banging the Walters needs to sign Heenan drum for 3 months now. Save it till early February when it means something.
I normally would but he's already blocked me once. Gotta be careful now that I'm on probation with Lawless.

Other than the fact that he can't block anybody 1 on 1, he can't block well enough to play anywhere but centre and his snaps have been unreliable the last 2 seasons, I have no issue with Picard.

I doubt that he plays any significant role on our team unless Morley retires or is injured, and I really hope we didn't tie up more than a few thousand in bonus money on him.

Other than the fact that he can't block anybody 1 on 1, he can't block well enough to play anywhere but centre and his snaps have been unreliable the last 2 seasons, I have no issue with Picard.

I doubt that he plays any significant role on our team unless Morley retires or is injured, and I really hope we didn't tie up more than a few thousand in bonus money on him.

Walters basically committed to Picard as our starting centre this season at today's presser.

Walters basically committed to Picard as our starting centre this season at today's presser.

Banks was our SAM too.

And I don't understand why some are suggesting the Bombers should not cut Steve Morley.  He's still a very valuable asset.  You don't just go and cut a starting Canadian OL  At worst, Morley is our 6th OL this season.  Competition is always a good thing.  I see the OL shaping up like this:

LT - January/Daniels

LG - Greaves

C - Picard

RG - Goossen/Morley

RT - Neufeld

6th - Morley/Goossen 

That's some nice Canadian OL depth.  A stud import tackle would be the icing on the cake. 

If Neufeld starts at guard instead of tackle it'll be very interesting to see what they do with Morley.

Banks was our SAM too.

All of this is how I feel. I tweeted this morning that the whole thing reminds me of Banks last year, and I got shouted down by a few people. I'll believe the Picard hype when I see it in the summer.

Banks was our SAM too.

All of this is how I feel. I tweeted this morning that the whole thing reminds me of Banks last year, and I got shouted down by a few people. I'll believe the Picard hype when I see it in the summer.
Situations aren't similar at all. Banks was released because his GM thought he was washed up. His GM was right. Picard was released for cap reasons, the season after winning his teams top OL award. And Riders tried to bring him back on a restructured contract.