Grey Cup 2014

Zontar

On the Banks return TD that was called back... their was a blatant hold where a Ti-Cat was yanking on a Calgary player and pulled him down just right before Banks turned the corner to go upfield.   I was amazed that this penalty wasn't called and the fringe one was instead.   

Regardless it was a fun game and the right team won and everything is right.

Now can we have endless threads about signing Cortez for the next 7 months!!

On the Banks return TD that was called back... their was a blatant hold where a Ti-Cat was yanking on a Calgary player and pulled him down just right before Banks turned the corner to go upfield.   I was amazed that this penalty wasn't called and the fringe one was instead.   

Regardless it was a fun game and the right team won and everything is right.

Now can we have endless threads about signing Cortez for the next 7 months!!

The penalty that was called wasn't a fringe call. It was a textbook example of what blocking from behind is.

Saw this on Darrin Bauming's twitter feed:

Shawn Lemon: “We kind of just let him run, so he wouldn't be in there on the last series. He was tired as hell running all that." #CFL

Yeah, right. 

Heard on TSN1290 that one of the Stamps said that they could have caught him, but wanted them to run down the clock. No way any of the Stamps catch him.

Hamilton gonna join this game soon? I don't think special teams is going to win this one for them, Collaros has to make some plays.

Calgary is picking on Stewart mercilessly. Pretty much every passing play.

Almost tho.. Cannot believe it almost came down to that return..

I was impressed by both quarterbacks.  Both Callaros and Mitchell did well to evade pressure to turn potential negative yardage into positive yardage on several occasions....although Mitchell struggled with accuracy a little in the second half with some throws that were slightly off that could have resulted in positive yardage/first downs.  On that interception, it's tough to say for sure, but it appeared the intended receiver slowed down on his route at the point the ball was released by Mitchell - he could have contested that ball, but instead it was an easy interception.

Ticats did a great job on defense in the second half.  Continued to limit Cornish on the ground when he did carry the ball, constant pressure on Mitchell, appeared to be good coverage in the secondary although it's tough to tell for sure on TV.

LOL at the fans on Ticats forum whining about the penalty - Half the Distance (biggest whiner and homer I've seen on any CFL forum when it comes to calls by the ref) and AnotherDork posting tweets by Doug Brown and Arash Madani saying the officials determined the game...another claiming it was a borderline penalty..yeah right, it only allowed Hamilton to score a touchdown!  There was two penalties that were legit on that kick return touchdown.  Funny thing is some of those same posters will complain about Arash and Doug calling them arrogant and idiotic when it doesn't fit their homer viewpoint.  Bigger whiners than what we have on our forum.

Arash Madani saying in front of the largest Canadian TV audience of the year the officials determined the game.  You can tell he works for CFL-Hating Rogers.  No Arash, the CFL officials did their job.  If that wasn't called, I'm sure you would have pointed out the incompetence of the officials for NOT calling the hold and blocking from behind on the replay and said the same thing!

Sounds like Hufnagel will be headed upstairs so to speak to concentrate on GM duties.  Should hear an announcement tomorrow by the looks of things and we will probably get an announcement for Dickenson as the new head coach.  Congrats to Hufnagel as one of the greatest coaches the CFL has ever seen..albeit only for 7 years, but what a record!  And congrats to the Stamps.

Ticats impressed me with Collaros and their defense.  I was expecting another boring non-competitive Grey Cup for the 4th year in a row, but they didn't roll over and quit in the second half.  Assuming they can keep all the key players around for next year and there are no serious injuries to Collaros I can see 12 wins in 2012. 

After that display at the end of the game I wouldn't be surprised if Austin adds Banks' name to the CFL free agent list. Unbelievable.

What did he do? Missed it.

Laid on the sideline crying rather than getting out there with the offense to try to win the game.

Yup.. Just embarrassing.. He was their only legit deep ball threat and how does he face adversity? Crying and punching the ground.. What a dumbass.. Great talent but not much upstairs apparently..

After that display at the end of the game I wouldn't be surprised if Austin adds Banks' name to the CFL free agent list. Unbelievable.

Laid on the sideline crying rather than getting out there with the offense to try to win the game.

Yup.. Just embarrassing.. He was their only legit deep ball threat and how does he face adversity? Crying and punching the ground.. What a dumbass.. Great talent but not much upstairs apparently..

I dunno - tell you what - how about you run full out for about 130 yards, then go back in the game immediately - the man was out of gas, that's why he wasn't in there. And worse, that block was unnecessary, Banks would have beat him at the point of attack easy - so I don't blame him for being upset. 

Saw this on Darrin Bauming's twitter feed:

Shawn Lemon: “We kind of just let him run, so he wouldn't be in there on the last series. He was tired as hell running all that." #CFL

Yeah, right. 

Heard on TSN1290 that one of the Stamps said that they could have caught him, but wanted them to run down the clock. No way any of the Stamps catch him.

They would have caught Banks but for those blocking from behind and the hold.  Those players had a line on banks and at the very least would have slowed him down enough to allow other players catch him and tackle him for a limited gain.

I dunno - tell you what - how about you run full out for about 130 yards, then go back in the game immediately - the man was out of gas, that's why he wasn't in there. And worse, that block was unnecessary, Banks would have beat him at the point of attack easy - so I don't blame him for being upset.

Your an ex-player, are you not? Wouldn't the coaches have had to keep you from fighting to go back in? I know if it was me, I would have hit the oxygen and got back in there for 2nd or 3rd down..

Also, he's a receiver/returnman. it wouldn't be the first time he has sprinted the length of the field only to.have to do it again..

Lineman? Sure. Quarterback? Yup. Receiver/return man who is so jacked from adrenaline and angry from being denied that TD? Come on now..

Hmmmm.  Not so sure about that.  Would he have tackled him?  Maybe not.  But he would have at the very least got an arm on him to slow him down and allow other players to come in and take him down.  Also the player that was held could have certainly made a play on Banks as well.

Diva... Throws his teammate under the bus with his tantrum. Get out on the field & quit feeling sorry for yourself. 

Their was a blatant hold also on the return where the Ti Cat player pulled the Calgary guy down... most definitely he would of been caught for a limited gain had that guy not been pulled down. 

The thing that is getting a lot of Stamps fans here up in arms is the fact that TSN pulled the wool right out of the rug of the 2 radio stations who are the rightsholders for their teams. CHML in Hamilton & CHQR in Calgary. Local fans of the 2 teams who have listened for years to their broadcast teams on their radio stations had to instead listen to Rod Black do the pbp. In Hamilton it was worse than here as there's a TSN station in that city so they broadcast the game & CHML was left out in the cold. To put it in perspective, if the Bombers make it to the Grey Cup at IGF next year, Bob Irving & CJOB will not be allowed to broadcast the game. Just a stupid decision to allow TSN to do that. These radio stations paid big bucks for the broadcast rights & the CFL just didn't care. Rod ******* Black. What an insult.

Riders trying to compare this to the 13th Man fiasco are out to lunch. 

This year, Cat player takes a very common penalty at a really bad time. Had to be called. Sucks that it cost them the return. 

You can not compare that to sending out 13 men onto the field for the last second field goal. 

Rider Fans. They really are that special. 

This year, Cat player takes a very common penalty at a really bad time. Had to be called. Sucks that it cost them the return. 

So true.

The official saw the offence, right in front of him……he doesn't know how the play will turn out, one way or another, nor should that matter.

If the glove fits, situation warrants a penalty, it's simple….call it.

So true.

The official saw the offence, right in front of him……he doesn't know how the play will turn out, one way or another, nor should that matter.

If the glove fits, situation warrants a penalty, it's simple….call it.

I absolutely *HATE* the hockey mentality of "let players play".    If you don't want a penalty called, don't do something stupid to begin with.   In this case, if you can see the numbers on the back of a players jersey .. keep your hands off of him. 

Manure Watch (on Reed's lawn) Day 1.

wouldn't it be a "slag" watch? 

letting the players play is moronic. "he put the whistle in his pocket"

and just implement the "No Injury No Penalty" rule

I heard that the hockey in the days of the Flin Flon bombers/Bobby Clark was usually a bloodbath. Never went to a game, so I don't know.