Willy, Bellefeuille, this one is on you guys!

USABomberfan

I agree, Wily was freaking terrible and should be ashamed with himself.

11 sacks 80% of which were his own fault.

Quite frankly, anybody who disagreed and was standing in front of me tonight, I may be drunk but i know what I know and I'd punch him in the face for outright stupidity. Seriously, some plays Willy had all bloody day but he'd then pull down the ball and run right into a BC defender for no bloody reason. Soo freaking aggravating it's ridiculous.

Yup.. Threats of violence always make your point more valid..

Smh.

No - thats more frustration I get what he's saying. It can be infuriating when a 'fan' only see's what they want to see. Willy had all kinds of time to throw, he had receivers open. It was hilarious, on the telecast, Suitor tried to make a point that all the receivers were covered. The 'short' receiver was about 6 yards underneath the coverage, but of course Suits was on a roll so he said he was 'covered'. 

About 10 minutes of game time after that, Beck got the snap, turned, and fired a dart to Gore I believe it was, who was 'wide open' just like the bomber receiver was above, only the bomber defender was about 3 yards off him. It's amazing all the apologists there are for Drew 'freakin' Willy. 

At least more fans are finally starting to see what I've been seeing since mid-August. He hasn't nearly been good enough, and tonight was his worst start yet (but low an behold he finally threw another TD pass). 

But yeah, I get his frustration. 

Unless you know what the read progression is on the play that is called, it is impossible to say "he had receivers open."  Probably the biggest fallacy in football from a fans point of view, when everyone goes "hey, that guy is open!"  Ya, but it's the QB's 6th read, and the by the time the ball gets to him the DB or LB is going to completely fill in the "opening" most of the time.  About as dumb as the people who yell "shoot" all the time on the powerplay at a hockey game.

Are you a pro Qb? Juran, I'll ask you then you seem to 'know your stuff'. Explain to me how our second stringer, Brian Brohm, and our third stringers, Robert Marve, can, with the same receivers, same oline, and same OC, and same play calling, make plays, and Willy can't? This is a legit question 'cause I definitely don't have a clue. 

Thanks in advance :)

Willy had a bad game.  Doesn't change the point of my other^ post, we can't know if he had receivers "open" or not because we don't know what he was looking at before or during the play.  Unless you have access to the coaches film it's a complete assumption to make watching on TV or from the stands. 

BC has a great secondary, that's part of it.  Our scheme with Willy doesn't move him around a lot.  Hard for us to say if that is Bellefeuille's fault, Willy's fault (in terms of him preferring to take a straight drop) or a combination.  Our scheme for Brohm vs Calgary moved him around a lot, even though he isn't a "mobile" QB.  Did he "make plays?"  I wouldn't say he did anything special.  He was steady, but it was pretty obvious that the game was simplified for him with the rollouts which essentially shorten the field, make throws and reads a little quicker.  Marve was just blind luck IMO, and even at that he completed 50% of his passes while continually putting the ball in harms way.

It doesn't matter what he's freaking told to look at, the best QBS in the league will find an open receiver if they are open. Especially if they are wide open! You CAN"T find an open receiver though, if you don't even look. The majority of the time Willy wasn't looking, he was panicking!#!#1 Even when he didn't have to panick!!!!!

iso_55, on 25 Oct 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

I don't get this "holding onto the football too long because he's getting beat up" routine. It makes absolutely no sense. If that was me or anybody else, They'd be throwing the football on the first step of a 3 step drop. Or 3rd on a 5 to get rid of the ball faster just so as not to get hit anymore. They wouldn't be holding onto the football. Why would Willy hold onto the football so long? To get beat up even more?? Hardly. If qbs are under duress they don't hold onto the football even longer to get hit even more. Truth was  his receivers weren't getting open or weren't getting to where they should be. This isn't on Willy, it was the BC Lions linebackers & defensive backfield taking away our passing game. We never adjusted underneath to get rid of the football faster as the game went on. Where were the quick passes??? It was all intermediate 15-25 yard routes that MB was calling. He did little to help his qb.That's on Bellefeuille not Willy. 

Let's remember, the thread title says both Bellefeuille and Willy, it's 50/50 on the both of them for this one.  As to why Willy holds onto the ball longer, QBs, and I've seen them do this plenty, usually like to hit the deeper bigger plays over the shorter and intermediary ones.  I really think Willy was trying to find deep options there instead of going with shorter options or safety valves when their should've been a clock in his head telling him that that was his best option.  Sure the line was getting pushed around a bit, but the protection was there long enough to have something to check down to.  As to no players being open, Suitor was trying to show no WRs open on that one play as Crunch said, when I coulda swore I saw the BC defenders backed at least 5 yards off of those receivers.  And like I said, Willy all the sudden started getting that ball out quick once we went down 11, I don't think the playcalling was all that much different for him to all the sudden realize, oops, wait, maybe I should get the ball out quicker.

But again, nobody is holding Bellefeuille blameless for this either.  You don't take Cotton out of the equation when he plays as good as he did, and you certainly don't take away his pass blocking either.  Thought the playcalling to open the game was pretty good, but going away from it was doodoo on his part, so yes, he does blame.  But our QB is not without fault in this either.

I'm not going to try and suggest any radical solutions or anything crazy to fix this stuff, but our personnel and situational management is definitely lacking right now.

Quite frankly, anybody who disagreed and was standing in front of me tonight, I may be drunk but i know what I know and I'd punch him in the face for outright stupidity. Seriously, some plays Willy had all bloody day but he'd then pull down the ball and run right into a BC defender for no bloody reason. Soo freaking aggravating it's ridiculous.

Smh.

No - thats more frustration I get what he's saying. It can be infuriating when a 'fan' only see's what they want to see. Willy had all kinds of time to throw, he had receivers open. It was hilarious, on the telecast, Suitor tried to make a point that all the receivers were covered. The 'short' receiver was about 6 yards underneath the coverage, but of course Suits was on a roll so he said he was 'covered'. 

About 10 minutes of game time after that, Beck got the snap, turned, and fired a dart to Gore I believe it was, who was 'wide open' just like the bomber receiver was above, only the bomber defender was about 3 yards off him. It's amazing all the apologists there are for Drew 'freakin' Willy. 

At least more fans are finally starting to see what I've been seeing since mid-August. He hasn't nearly been good enough, and tonight was his worst start yet (but low an behold he finally threw another TD pass). 

Unless you know what the read progression is on the play that is called, it is impossible to say "he had receivers open."  Probably the biggest fallacy in football from a fans point of view, when everyone goes "hey, that guy is open!"  Ya, but it's the QB's 6th read, and the by the time the ball gets to him the DB or LB is going to completely fill in the "opening" most of the time.  About as dumb as the people who yell "shoot" all the time on the powerplay at a hockey game.

Are you a pro Qb? Juran, I'll ask you then you seem to 'know your stuff'. Explain to me how our second stringer, Brian Brohm, and our third stringers, Robert Marve, can, with the same receivers, same oline, and same OC, and same play calling, make plays, and Willy can't? This is a legit question 'cause I definitely don't have a clue. 

Willy had a bad game.  Doesn't change the point of my other^ post, we can't know if he had receivers "open" or not because we don't know what he was looking at before or during the play.  Unless you have access to the coaches film it's a complete assumption to make watching on TV or from the stands. 

BC has a great secondary, that's part of it.  Our scheme with Willy doesn't move him around a lot.  Hard for us to say if that is Bellefeuille's fault, Willy's fault (in terms of him preferring to take a straight drop) or a combination.  Our scheme for Brohm vs Calgary moved him around a lot, even though he isn't a "mobile" QB.  Did he "make plays?"  I wouldn't say he did anything special.  He was steady, but it was pretty obvious that the game was simplified for him with the rollouts which essentially shorten the field, make throws and reads a little quicker.  Marve was just blind luck IMO, and even at that he completed 50% of his passes while continually putting the ball in harms way.

It doesn't matter what he's freaking told to look at, the best QBS in the league will find an open receiver if they are open. Especially if they are wide open! You CAN"T find an open receiver though, if you don't even look. The majority of the time Willy wasn't looking, he was panicking!#!#1 Even when he didn't have to panick!!!!!

I noticed this as well, Willy does not swivel his head, he's focused on one side of the field and pays no attention to the other half.

Smh.

I noticed this as well, Willy does not swivel his head, he's focused on one side of the field and pays no attention to the other half.

DING DING DING, you got it but keep in mind that is Marcel B's offensive scheme ! At first I was thinking he might be onto something until I have seen it in action.

Its a stupid system when you use it all of the time...once in a while it works but defenses are smart and will trick you into looking to the wrong side.

And an top level QB will look one way and then turn to the side they want to throw to ( at least some of the time to keep the defense honest )

Drew is LOCKED into one side and NEVER looks to the other side, given plenty of time he is very accurate but D's have figured out how to beat him many

games ago and Marcel B. is either to stubborn or stupid to adjust... And why didn't we run the ball in the 3Q ? Even with the sacks and poor QB play we had a

chance if we kept runing the ball.

There's absolutely no excuses for such a terrible game from Willy. His performance was an abomination, and there's no reason for ANYONE to defend him. I can't fathom how anyone could watch that game and think that he was anything else but horrendous.

Okay, other than saying the same thing over & over & over about how bad Willy is/was/ always will be, you tell us why a qb who suffered thru 11 sacks tonight would hold onto the football too long instead of getting rid of it quicker. I'd be interested to read what you have to say. Go ahead... Oh & don't give me that shell shocked answer as it is more complex than that. Shell shocked means he'd be panicking & throwing the football too early. I want a real insightful answer. 

How am I supposed to know what's going on in his head?? Maybe it's just a lack of pocket awareness (as has been on display all year), or a case of Willy trying to protect his stats, as SmokinBlue suggested? I surely hope it's not the latter...

Not surprised with your answer because it's as I expected. Protect his stats? Yeah, that's what he's thinking alright as he's running for his life. Just spouting continual garbage.

Smh.

BC has a great secondary, that's part of it.  Our scheme with Willy doesn't move him around a lot.  Hard for us to say if that is Bellefeuille's fault, Willy's fault (in terms of him preferring to take a straight drop) or a combination.  Our scheme for Brohm vs Calgary moved him and the pocket around a lot, even though he isn't a "mobile" QB.  Did he "make plays?"  I wouldn't say he did anything special.  He was steady, but it was pretty obvious that the game was simplified for him with the rollouts which essentially shorten the field, make throws and reads a little quicker.  Marve was just blind luck IMO, and even at that he completed 50% of his passes while continually putting the ball in harms way.

Why they don't do for Willy what they did for Brohm (it sure worked) is my question.

One major thing Brohm did differently from Willy, is Brohm brought some urgency to the huddle, to his reads, and thereby created some offensive tempo. Same with Marve, he was quicker with everything though it was clear Marve was set to run the ball himself 50% of the time. Even if they simplified things for Brohm, he didn't let 10-12 seconds tick off the playclock prior to the snap. Willy has been doing that consistently, on almost every play - all season long. Apart from the fact he takes too long post-snap to go through his reads, his delay in getting the offence going kills any tempo the O might develop. Also, his handoffs to the RB seem to be in slow motion and when he scrambles he seems to kind of, well ... its as if he's out for a casual afternoon jog.

There's absolutely no excuses for such a terrible game from Willy. His performance was an abomination, and there's no reason for ANYONE to defend him. I can't fathom how anyone could watch that game and think that he was anything else but horrendous.

Okay, other than saying the same thing over & over & over about how bad Willy is/was/ always will be, you tell us why a qb who suffered thru 11 sacks tonight would hold onto the football too long instead of getting rid of it quicker. I'd be interested to read what you have to say. Go ahead... Oh & don't give me that shell shocked answer as it is more complex than that. Shell shocked means he'd be panicking & throwing the football too early. I want a real insightful answer. 

How am I supposed to know what's going on in his head?? Maybe it's just a lack of pocket awareness (as has been on display all year), or a case of Willy trying to protect his stats, as SmokinBlue suggested? I surely hope it's not the latter...

Not surprised with your answer because it's as I expected. Protect his stats? Yeah, that's what he's thinking alright as he's running for his life. Just spouting continual garbage.

I know it might seem a little far-fetched but honestly I can't see any other explanation for him to continually hold onto the ball like it's his child during the entire game. It seemed like the only time he threw the ball was when he had someone wide open, but even then he was making bad throws.

I know it might seem a little far-fetched but honestly I can't see any other explanation for him to continually hold onto the ball like it's his child during the entire game. It seemed like the only time he threw the ball was when he had someone wide open, but even then he was making bad throws.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as we are all Bomber fans & tired of the continual losing & we all want them to start winning. I'm just going to say that there are a lot of reasons why things went sour last night. Since we aren't privy to the talk on the bench & won't be in offensive meetings reviewing this game let's just agree on the fact that things need to majorly improve greatly in all areas if the Bombers are ever going to become a winning team. Surprised no one touched on the interception & lateral called back last night. To me, that was the turning point of the game. We made a great play & scored but the DB was down when he lateralled. We never recovered from that setback & folded like a cheap tent in a light breeze after that. Seems we don't have the character or leadership in the locker room to bounce back from adversity. Everything has to go the Bombers way in order to win. It shouldn't be that way but it is. 

Yourface, on 26 Oct 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

I don't think it was just that he was doing it only when someone was open, but it really seemed like he had this mentality going that he needed to do way more to win this game than what he should've.

What bothers me about that is it seemed like tonight I was having flashbacks to the old Lapolice days.of our getting stuck in that constant mojo of getting away from stuff that worked and then doing stuff that was just silly and going too conservative and soft in our play calling, almost as if Lapo was getting in that drunk state of thinking he was all the sudden going to see about 50 million tackles broken by his receiver catching that little dink dunk pass.  This would be going on too for almost entire first halfs and even into 2nd halfs, it was like he didn't wake up until we were down by 3 scores, and then it was ..... wooops my bad boys, let's get aggressive now.  Drove me ****ing nuts, and seemed like that's what Willy did tonight with his QBing.

I think what the main point that gets driven home should be not that you should throw one set of plays out the window completely, or that you should go all aggressive or all conservative, but you just cannot continue doing stuff, whether you're the QB or OC that's just stagnating your team to the point of just being grass smoking.  If you're getting in a rhythm with stuff that's working, don't go away from it, stick with it and keep riding it.

One bad similarity to this stuff and the Lapolice era was that Chris Garret when he came on the scene was a beast, and dare I say he was heavily underutilized, except for that game against Hamilton.  Cotton's been a gem on the scene and I say it's the same thing, heavily underused.

Smh.

Perfectly explained. It's really not that difficult of a concept for people to grasp.

I was at the game and there were a few instances where Willy could have thrown the ball away but for whatever reason he held on to the ball and tried to run or turn away from the d-lineman only to be sacked instead.  Those are on him.  On some plays he simply didn't have enough time to get rid of the ball - the O-line was incredibly porous on those plays, moreso than normal even for them.  

On that last second hail mary, I'm pretty sure Willy didn't have 4 seconds to get rid of the ball.  More like 2 - 2.5 secs as the 4-man rush somehow beat our 5 linemen.  Willy had to turn away and didn't have time to square himself for the throw downfield before he was sacked yet again.

Line was bad, but Willy has to take his share of the blame.  On that first interception, the receiver was already covered and the safety was already heading towards that side of the field (probably 10 yards from the receiver when Willy was just starting to make the throw) and yet Willy still makes the throw deep downfield anyways!  Pretty much impossible odds for the receiver to come down cleanly with the catch when the second defensive back can clearly see what the Qb is going to do (Willy was running out of the pocket at this point and his eyes were clearly locked downfield on that one receiver) and moving in that direction, and on top of that, the receiver is already closely guarded by the assigned defensive back.  Just a real dumb decision by Willy.  Would have been fine if it was a last second hail mary, but it wasn't.  It was a poorly thrown ball that the receiver had no chance on.

Second interception was simply an inaccurate poorly  thrown ball right at the defensive back.  Neither of Willy's are what I would call a good interception like the ball thrown by Glenn right to Arcenaux where the defender stepped in front to make a last split-second INT. Rather they were poorly thrown balls the receivers with no chance for a reception.

And those corner route calls in the endzone?  GRRRR.  Has Willy completed one of those in the second half of the season?  Bellefool deserves some (or most?) of the blame for continually going back to this play when it clearly does not work, and Willy deserves some of the blame for displaying such poor accuracy on these particular throws.  Seriously, you would think at this level he would place the passes at least within arms reach of the receiver, not 5 yards over their head..or even further as seems to be the case on some of  these plays.

From where I was sitting, it looked like Willy was running in cement. Very slow making his reads as well. Is he that banged up or is he just that type of plodding qb. If so, in either case, we'll need a super human o line so that our qb. can get the proper protection and Willy can get a passing play in. This rag tag outfit posing as an o line doesn't cut it. Also the holes Cotton was getting were due mostly to his diminutive size. He made lots happen on his own. In any case the first priority is to get an o line that works and is competent.  I thought we'd at least see 'some' improvement in that area by now. Appears not to be the case.

It's really not hard to understand, the guy is terrified of getting hit while throwing the ball so he tries to buy himself time but the OL isn't good enough to sustain their blocks for long enough and when he does that he gets caught. It's painfully obvious to see. Being shell shocked and afraid doesn't mean you throw quicker, it means you hesitate. It's clear that right now Willy doesn't trust his blocking or his receivers or himself. Too many hits this year and it's ****** with his head. 

Smh.

Perfectly explained. It's really not that difficult of a concept for people to grasp.

So why do Brohm and Marve seem capable of moving the SAME offense with the SAME receivers and the SAME oline and the SAME coaching? I've asked this a few times now .... no answers. You can't see for looking can you?

Oh, and boys - just to add. Willy HIMSELF said he wasn't going to his second and third reads (which Suitor showed a couple of times on TV where there - were WIDE open). So now you two are in a real dilemma aren't you? Your boy "Willy" actually agrees with ME, not YOU two, so now if you want to agree with Willy, then you have to agree with me, but if you agree with me, then you have to admit I'm right and of course I'm stupid (right Mr.P) so I can't be right, therefore Mr. Drew Willy can't be right, but in your eyes he can't be wrong, and if you two were computers you would melt your micro processors by now trying to figure out your way out of this problem LMAO

KptKrunch, on 26 Oct 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

So why do Brohm and Marve seem capable of moving the SAME offense with the SAME receivers and the SAME oline and the SAME coaching? I've asked this a few times now .... no answers. You can't see for looking can you?

Oh, and boys - just to add. Willy HIMSELF said he wasn't going to his second and third reads (which Suitor showed a couple of times on TV where there - were WIDE open). So now you two are in a real dilemma aren't you? Your boy "Willy" actually agrees with ME, not YOU two, so now if you want to agree with Willy, then you have to agree with me, but if you agree with me, then you have to admit I'm right and of course I'm stupid (right Mr.P) so I can't be right, therefore Mr. Drew Willy can't be right, but in your eyes he can't be wrong, and if you two were computers you would melt your micro processors by now trying to figure out your way out of this problem LMAO

Gotta be careful about what we read into other people's posts.  So far I haven't seen anyone disagreeing that Willy did the wrong thing, everyone's posts I've seen at least for the most part are acknowledging Willy did not get the ball to available reads.  But that being said, I think you gotta give Willy props here for acknowledging he didn't.  He knows he should've been smarter and I expect if the coaching staff gives him another shot to get it right he will.

1.  He didn't throw his teammates under the bus in this one, he took responsibility which is something you like to see out of a guy who does that.

2.  Things can change from game to game.  10 sacks is unacceptable, but Willy knows he can avoid those next time, so before we get too Marve crazy, let's not boot him out the door just yet.

KptKrunch, on 26 Oct 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

Gotta be careful about what we read into other people's posts.  So far I haven't seen anyone disagreeing that Willy did the wrong thing, everyone's posts I've seen at least for the most part are acknowledging Willy did not get the ball to available reads.  But that being said, I think you gotta give Willy props here for acknowledging he didn't.  He knows he should've been smarter and I expect if the coaching staff gives him another shot to get it right he will.

1.  He didn't throw his teammates under the bus in this one, he took responsibility which is something you like to see out of a guy who does that.

2.  Things can change from game to game.  10 sacks is unacceptable, but Willy knows he can avoid those next time, so before we get too Marve crazy, let's not boot him out the door just yet.

I'm not booting him out the door, just to the sidelines. I want to win our last game of the year (and last nights game for that matter too) and Willy does not give us a chance to win

Willy had a pretty bad game last night. Did score the first TD against BC's D tho in a month i think they said. On TV, the replays Suitor actually showed, guys were totally covered. They did only show 2 tho. When even Suitor is saying this, you know it's true cuz at times they go out of there way to not make excuses for the bombers. 

No doubt Drew struggled but he's just one guy really...Some of the sacks are on him for sure, some aren't, continually had no time, there always seemed to be pressure in his face or near him, Oline was awful, Just based on 2 TSN replays and Suitor, sounds like receivers were covered. Sacks or not, if he throws them away instead, we are punting.

Is the Offense built to best fit the skills of the guys on the field? Why didn't we use Cotton more in the 2nd half, dude was ripping it up vs BC, #1 pass D in the league, #4 Run D.. should have kept running cuz it was working, set up play action, 4 sacks in the first half, 6 in the second. Part of that 6 is on the play calling and Bellefeuille. 

Yup Willy had a bad game but i think just blaming Willy and going after Willy, doesn't really tell you the whole story to the pathetic offensive performance in the 2nd half last night. Willy was ok at half... Adjustments were made at half to go away from the run for some reason, resulted in 6 sacks and the offense struggling. Maybe what this should show is that if you have a good running game, like we did in the first half, we can compete.. If we get away from it,like in the 2nd half, we can't. 

Playcalling has been pretty awful and suspect for a while now too. That corner route? why? going away from the run when its working.

Bellefeuille first because i believe the lack of run game attributed to the terrible 2nd half.. Willy cuz he just flat out had a bad game, his worst game by far so far, the receivers for not getting open or so it appeared, and just pure execution all around on the Offensive side of the ball. BRUTAL 

MOS should probably get rid of MB in the off-season, Just being too bland and predictable and just really really WTF are you thinking type of plays being call, or not called, BC couldn't stop the RUN so let's get away from it in the 2nd half when it was working? WTF. D played well until the end, Probably pretty deflated  group watching that terrible overall Offensive Performance.

Game Balls to Cotton,2 back to back 100 yard rushing games and  Denmark for going over 1000 yards and Thats about it on the O side of things.

I don't know why everyone should be so surprised. Willy is a work in progess, and with a better QB coach should improve. This is one of the scouting reports on him

"Willy's strengths are his calmness and intelligence. He understands the position very well and does a great job of reading the defense. Willy has outstanding mechanics and footwork which allows him to be very accurate with most throws he makes.

Willy can be a little stiff at times. He can sometimes stand and hold the ball too long which will cause him to be sacked or give the defense time to react to his eyes. Willy can be indecisive as well and in the NFL that can lead to big turnovers.

Summary

Willy comes from a humble conference and team that is always trying to prove itself and I think that bodes well for his development and coachability. His ability to stand tall and poise in the pocket helps him to deliver strikes to his receivers. Willy is a relaxed QB and I have not seen him get too rattled he stays calm under duress and uses his feet to buy him time. His consistency at recognize the rush needs to be improved on, he is very good at seeing it but at times he holds the ball too long and gets lead feet in the pocket. I believe Willy has tremendous potential and could be a legitimate QB in the NFL."

He needs better protection, and needs to learn how to look off receivers when he gets more time. He also needs to have less of a gun slinger mentality.

No one will argue that Willy played a good game last night, the problem people are having with the negative folks around here is how they are so keen to throw the guy under the bus. There are some very real explanations for why he's at the point he is, going full Tim Burke on the guy doesn't help anything.