Free Press (Fan Vote) Picking All-Time Blue Bomber Greats

comedygeek

A lot of the younger guys on here wouldn't have got to see Kenny Ploen play. Watching old time tapes doesn't do him justice. He was the consummate quarterback. Intelligent, wily, and talented. Leo Lewis and Kenny were a dynamic and dangerous pair any time on the field. The Cups attest to that fact. Ploen was the best qb. this club has ever seen and it's too bad that everyone judging this couldn't have seen him play. Was a real treat and the Bombers were a force in the CFL when he was the guy behind centre. Kenny hands down.

I was a kid in the 70's. When I think of the Bombers its Dieter Brock IMO. He was absolutely dominating. Very few before him or since ever threw the ball as hard as him.

His arm strength was insane.

As much as I like Dieter & I have his jersey, he never won a championship anywhere as a pro. Would anyone say Fran Tarkenton was better than Joe Montana? They both played in four Super Bowls. One won 4 & the other lost 4. Or in the CFL, Sam Etcheverry lost 3 Grey Cups in a row to Jackie Parker & the Eskimos in 54, 55 & 56. Etch had a great arm too but who cares? It's championships a qb should be judged upon. Ploen was the best.

BTW, a great percentage of fans back in the 70's & early 80's thought Brock was a "dumb quarterback". Brock left here very disillusioned & unhappy. I never thought that he'd ever want to come back or be associated with the Bombers, Winnipeg & especially the fans as they rode the poor guy very, very hard when he was a starter. For a lot, he could do no right.

I was a kid in the 70's. When I think of the Bombers its Dieter Brock IMO. He was absolutely dominating. Very few before him or since ever threw the ball as hard as him.

As much as I like Dieter & I have his jersey, he never won a championship anywhere as a pro. Would anyone say Fran Tarkenton was better than Joe Montana? They both played in four Super Bowls. One won 4 & the other lost 4. Or in the CFL, Sam Etcheverry lost 3 Grey Cups in a row to Jackie Parker & the Eskimos in 54, 55 & 56. Etch had a great arm too but who cares? It's championships a qb should be judged upon. Ploen was the best.

BTW, a great percentage of fans back in the 70's & early 80's thought Brock was a "dumb quarterback". Brock left here very disillusioned & unhappy. I never thought that he'd ever want to come back or be associated with the Bombers, Winnipeg & especially the fans as they rode the poor guy very, very hard when he was a starter. For a lot, he could do no right.

What you are saying is very true. Brock never delivered the cup to the bombers, however likely he wasn't totally to blame for that. For the period 1980-82 he threw 88 td passes and had 13342 yards passing, by anyone's standards that is simply awesome especially considering they only played 16 games in those years.

Khari Jones from 2000-2002 had similar numbers maybe would of started 2 or 3 more games. Threw for something like 14000 yards and 105 TDs.

Here are some numbers to pounder (CFLapedia is my source)  This would be the 3 best consecutive years numbers of each qb.   

Jones 2000-2002    54 games, 14021 yards passing, 107 tds, 75 ints, PA 1676, PC 954,  999 yards rushing.

Brock  80-82           48 games,  13342 yards passing, 88 tds,   42 ints, PA 1623, PC 972,  326 yards rushing.

What you are saying is very true. Brock never delivered the cup to the bombers, however likely he wasn't totally to blame for that. For the period 1980-82 he threw 88 td passes and had 13342 yards passing, by anyone's standards that is simply awesome especially considering they only played 16 games in those years.

Fran Tarkenton threw for 49,000 yards & got the Vikings to 4 Super Bowls. He was an outstanding scrambler with a great arm & at one time led the NFL in passing for nearly 15 years but he is never mentioned as one of the all time greats. He is considered a second tier qb because he lost 4 Super Bowls.

Same with Jim Kelly in Buffalo. Lost all 4 Super Bowls he played. So, he's another very good second tier NFL qb which for both players is unfair & undeserving but that's the way it is, unfortunately. John Elway was considered a failure at qb because he lost the first 2 Super Bowls he played in  but is now considered one of the greats as he won back to back Super Bowls before retiring. Winning championships is where it's at. Ken Ploen did that for the Bombers. He delivered the goods.

When it comes to rating all time greats, just having great stats really isn't enough. Great qbs have to have won not one but multiple championships.

My first remembrance of Bomber QB was Dieter and his 2 MVP's(against Warren Moon). But I voted for KP. As others have said you just can't overlook the GC wins and you just can not overlook Dieters method of leaving this city. That bridge still burns. All-time teams are generational but I think Ploen will take this. Same reason why Bradford will always be voted best QB in Pittsburgh..

Ooops mean Bradshaw. Thanks ISO_55

My first remembrance of Bomber QB was Dieter and his 2 MVP's(against Warren Moon). But I voted for KP. As others have said you just can't overlook the GC wins and you just can not overlook Dieters method of leaving this city. That bridge still burns. All-time teams are generational but I think Ploen will take this. Same reason why Bradford will always be voted best QB in Pittsburgh.

I'm sure you meant Terry Bradshaw.

My first remembrance of Bomber QB was Dieter and his 2 MVP's(against Warren Moon). But I voted for KP. As others have said you just can't overlook the GC wins and you just can not overlook Dieters method of leaving this city. That bridge still burns. All-time teams are generational but I think Ploen will take this. Same reason why Bradford will always be voted best QB in Pittsburgh.

I understand what you mean. Don't take this the wrong way, but Bradshaw was a bad example. The guy was a friggin war machine, 4 superbowls, 2 time superbowl mvp.

Khari Jones from 2000-2002 had similar numbers maybe would of started 2 or 3 more games. Threw for something like 14000 yards and 105 TDs.

Here are some numbers to pounder (CFLapedia is my source)  This would be the 3 best consecutive years numbers of each qb.   

Jones 2000-2002    54 games, 14021 yards passing, 107 tds, 75 ints, PA 1676, PC 954,  999 yards rushing.

Brock  80-82           48 games,  13342 yards passing, 88 tds,   42 ints, PA 1623, PC 972,  326 yards rushing.

who was Dieter throwing to? I don't remember.

Kenny Ploen, is easily the best QB in Bomber history.  

Bradshaw was absolutely amazing.

QB's were more fun then, as was football in general.