Winnipeg @ BC - final thoughts.

Mr Dee

Glenn, naturally, gets the start.

The Vancouver Province calls Glenn's work - inconsistent and careless.

But, now that Lulay has been erased from the scene, for who knows how long, does that translate into Glenn finally getting that big contract as a starter? Buono's got some thinking to do.

Ironic that Lulay was the answer to an injury-familiar QB named Buck Pierce….

It's been reported the BC has the #1 defence in Yards per game against.

Bombers, in their only meeting so far - 250 yards passing and (close your eyes) 50 yards rushing (Grigsby 19 yds. on 15 carries)

We did hold the Lions to 100 yards rushing (Harris 8 carries for 38 yds. - Logan 8 carries for 32 yds.)

And, we did get 6 sacks that game. (from 6 different players)

And speaking of the Bombers, didn't they look fabulous in those uniforms last week?

Now the reason we did well against BC reflects directly on their offensive line and according to the Province they still have grave concerns as to the actual lineup.

Mike Benevides confirmed the club will pull Jermarcus Hardrick off the six-game injured list to play left tackle, which is a fairly strong indictment against Cory Brandon, who was available for practice Wednesday. It also appears as if Kirby Fabien will be replaced by Cam Thorn, a second-year non-import who may well get a chance to be worked in at centre, another indictment of some degree of Matt Norman.

Against Ottawa, the Lions effectively started two left-side rookies in Cory Brandon and Kirby Fabien, with sophomore centre Matt Norman and Cory Husband, who had not started a game in two seasons, at right guard. Nobody excelled. Even right tackle Jovan Olafioye was responsible for a safety.

Manny Arceneaux had suffered a finger injury serious enough to get x-rays but they revealed nothing and unless it swells badly, he'll play.

Mike Benevides is trying to act somewhat stoic what with these events including Lulay, and simply says,"we're gonna go win".

To that I say…..That's absolulay ridiculous.

Coach O'Shea, in his presser, was talking about injuries being tough on the players who get injured…Durant, Lulay and Anderson. It's pretty tough on Zach because he loves playing football, and now he can't. "It's always about the player"

I know we all feel bad about injuries of this sort, but I can't imagine what the players feel. Real tough.

Mosely and Booker will alternate in Anderson's place.

O'Shea also addressed the penalty issues we had last game and told us they now have a flogging room. I think he was kidding.

We were the least penalized team..we may be #2 now.

Actually, day zero as they call it, is a non practice day but the players do come in and the first thing they do, as a group is review the penalties..in front of their teammates. That's the flogging.

Renaud was punting…not in game shape…won't be in on Sat.

O'Shea was asked how he draws up the practice schedules and how many etc. and he gave a nice explanation stating that when they 1st got their schedule, he basically drew it up then, based on days between games, prior opponent, future opponent, where we're at in the season.

On the question of they only have two practices sometimes, he answered…that he maintains "fresh is best" - keeping guys physically ready to go that "allows the guys to do their jobs."

Works under the adage that "when you're tired, the 1st thing to go is your head"

"Physical exhaustion leads to more mental mistakes"

More classroom work because the type of practice they run is high tempo, they want them to practice at an extremely high level - by design. So they give them more classroom time for more focus and a little more rest.

Day zero is set aside for this…penalty review, as a team, then they do special teams, then they go their own way, or under the coaches…walkthroughs, film review, game planning..pretty interesting stuff.

Somebody asked Kuale if he has to dial it down to avoid penalties and he replied he has to dial it up.

Coach O'Shea replied it's good as long as it's between the whistles. He doesn't want to bridle a guy or hold him back because the has to play a certain way to be effective….

So much for benching him.

By this conversation and yesterday's, I found that MOS stands firmly behind Kuale and most fully and completely, behind Etcheverry.

"They are still going for it all, and the best is yet to come."

Gotta believe.

On the question of they only have two practices sometimes, he answered…that he maintains "fresh is best" - keeping guys physically ready to go that "allows the guys to do their jobs."

Works under the adage that "when you're tired, the 1st thing to go is your head"

I know he would never use it as an excuse but one of the reporters there should have asked O'Shea how much not having a bye week yet has affected the players physically and mentally.

I know he would never use it as an excuse but one of the reporters there should have asked O'Shea how much not having a bye week yet has affected the players physically and mentally.

He was asked that...and in his usual fashion...he said it didn't really matter because they make sure the players get their rest.

Yeah, with Kuale, that's the guy I most disagree with O'Shea on.  You still get penalized in between whistles man.  And this guy has cost us many yards because of his on the field penalties.  It's ok if he's actually producing and tackling, but most of the time he's just not...and it makes bunnies cry.

you_make_bunny_cry.jpg

Harris, what a moron. 8 carries for 38 yards last game vs the bombers for Mr Harris. 

What Old Andy doesn't seem to understand is BC's OLINE is AWFUL, SASK's is probably the best in the league.. Best OL in the league, worst oline in the league... and that includes the bombers.

Bombers win i think. Probably not as close as one would think. 

BC is big on shooting their mouths off with very little to back it up. The Lion offence scares nobody. If the Bombers can slow the Lion running attack and do okay with Special Teams they will fold. I "guarantee" the Lions are toothless wonders on offence.

Angus Reid - Vancouver Province

Bottom line, for any offence to work you need a strong and stable offensive line. For a variety of reasons this season, the Lions just haven’t been able to find that, especially on the stability front.

Saturday’s game will mark the 8th different starting offensive line combination the team has gone to battle with. That also doesn’t include multiple mid- game adjustments due to injuries.

This belief, coming from an ex-Lion O-Line guy, and Harris's statement about 250 yards in tonight's game, just don't work well together….something that's going to occur in this game..with the O-Line and Harris.

Well, lets not blame Harris here. C'mon guys, what's he supposed to say " Our oline is crap I hope I can get double digits against the worst run defense in the league"? I'll give you saying stuff like that is great locker room material for the bombers to get them fired up, in reality I don't think it does much. For the most part I think it's media thing and a fan thing. I truly believe the players filter that stuff out as all of them have been mis quoted many times in the press. What was the question to Harris? Was he smiling when he said it? Did he wink? Or did he flag down a reporter in the street just to blurt that out? 

Hey, I'm glad there's some talk before the game,makes it more interesting. And don't forget, if the Calgary / Toronto game runs long - switch to TSN2

Well, lets not blame Harris here. C'mon guys, what's he supposed to say " Our oline is crap I hope I can get double digits against the worst run defense in the league"? I'll give you saying stuff like that is great locker room material for the bombers to get them fired up, in reality I don't think it does much. For the most part I think it's media thing and a fan thing. I truly believe the players filter that stuff out as all of them have been mis quoted many times in the press. What was the question to Harris? Was he smiling when he said it? Did he wink? Or did he flag down a reporter in the street just to blurt that out? 

Hey, I'm glad there's some talk before the game,makes it more interesting. And don't forget, if the Calgary / Toronto game runs long - switch to TSN2