Muamba, Inman, Dressler, Sheets

TrueBlue

I've been following the Bears pretty closely and I am quite sure Prechae Rodriguez hasn't been with them at all. Unless they signed him this weekend.

Looks like he's been playing arena football the last few years.

Weird. Coulda sworn I saw a Facebook post of his that had him in the bears dressing room with his gear... Sigh, now I gotta go verify lol

**edit**

Knew I wasn't losing my mind.. As of August 16th on his Facebook account, "blessed with opportunity" with a picture of him with a name placard, #13 and in Nike bears shorts n a shirt... Dunno how to post pics so can't post it tho..

So we were both right? Perfect!

I can't find any news story or see him on the Bears website though, so I wonder if they're just giving him a workout or something. No idea if that happens in the middle of the preseason or not.

Yea i dunno.. i know not the ways of the NFL.. I assumed if he had a.name bar on a stall, he was there for at least TC..

From what I'm hearing Sheets has a decent shot of sticking with the Raiders.  Not sure why Lawless is so convinced that he is coming back.  

Dressler is almost certain to re-sign with the Riders if released.  He has tons of off-field connections there (including a girlfriend and off-season job) and he is a virtual god in Regina.

Taman will almost certainly give him a generous offer and a few more dollars from another team will not make a difference given his history with the team.

Similar to Kohlert re-signing in Winnipeg this is a bit of a no-brainer.

If Dressler or Sheets shake loose, I sure hope they are deemed to 'fit' with our system... but if Moore signed for 190, Dressler is probably 250

Tough to see any receiver getting 250K.  Owens may be close but he is also one of the best returner/receivers in the game.

Dressler's likely in the 200-210K range imo.

From what I'm hearing Sheets has a decent shot of sticking with the Raiders.  Not sure why Lawless is so convinced that he is coming back.  

Dressler is almost certain to re-sign with the Riders if released.  He has tons of off-field connections there (including a girlfriend and off-season job) and he is a virtual god in Regina.

Taman will almost certainly give him a generous offer and a few more dollars from another team will not make a difference given his history with the team.

He sold his house in Regina in the offseason and his girlfriend now lives with him in Kansas City. Unless she has a piano tied to her arse she can move with him elsewhere in the CFL. You are probably right that he ends up back in Regina, but it won't be the no-brainer you think it is. There are 2 teams who have already confirmed they will be throwing their hat in the ring on Dressler. (Ottawa and Toronto)...wouldn't surprise me if there are more.

It never ceases to amaze me how Rider fans seem to think there team and city is some kind of Shangri-La that players would never consider leaving elsewhere for. Heard the same tripe about Andy Fantuz, Craig Butler, etc etc.

Taman will need to break out the cheque book in a big way for Dressler, if he doesn't he will lose him to someone else. Unfortunately for the RIders that probably handcuffs them if Sheets comes back or in renegotiating new contracts for guys like Chick, TBrack etc. before FA. Taman may be considered a hero now over there, but they are about to find out that his long term SMS strategy is not fundamentally sound.

He sold his house in Regina in the offseason and his girlfriend now lives with him. Unless she has a piano tied to her arse she can move with him elsewhere in the CFL. You are probably right that he ends up back in Regina, but it won't be the no-brainer you think it is. There are 2 teams who have already confirmed they will be throwing their hat in the ring on Dressler. (Ottawa and Toronto)...wouldn't surprise me if there are more.

It never ceases to amaze me how Rider fans seem to think there team and city is some kind of Shangri-La that players would never consider leaving elsewhere for. Heard the same tripe about Andy Fantuz, Craig Butler, etc etc.

Taman will need to break out the cheque book in a big way for Dressler, if he doesn't he will lose him to someone else. Unfortunately for the RIders that probably handcuffs them if Sheets comes back or in renegotiating new contracts for guys like Chick, TBrack etc. before FA. Taman may be considered a hero now over there, but they are about to find out that his long term SMS strategy is not fundamentally sound.

So how would Toronto be able to offer any more money than Sask?  They have just as many big names to 're-sign'...  would think Sask has the advantage in that people actually show up to their games.

He sold his house in Regina in the offseason and his girlfriend now lives with him. Unless she has a piano tied to her arse she can move with him elsewhere in the CFL. You are probably right that he ends up back in Regina, but it won't be the no-brainer you think it is. There are 2 teams who have already confirmed they will be throwing their hat in the ring on Dressler. (Ottawa and Toronto)...wouldn't surprise me if there are more.

So how would Toronto be able to offer any more money than Sask?  They have just as many big names to 're-sign'...  would think Sask has the advantage in that people actually show up to their games.

What does attendance have to do with anything? Are you aware of what Toronto's cap situation is, or are you just rambling? The Riders have been documented by several media sources as being very tight to the cap presently. Haven't heard that about Toronto. The fact that their media is reporting that Toronto has strong interest in Dressler leads me to believe that they either have the cap room to offer him a big contract, or they are willing to make cap room for him.

The Argos probably have 1-3 guys (if that) on their starting defence making six digits, many of those guys who aren't are fresh to the CFL too, so they aren't due for a new contract for another year. They very likely have quite ample cap space.

That's not how the cap works

Would be interesting to see the reaction amongst Rider fans if Dressler signed elsewhere.

They have already replaced him with _____.  

I will quickly paraphrase the 100 page thread that would ensue on Riderfans.

First 15 pages... Taman lowballed him and he should be fired for not making sure he had enough money to sign him. ( I call this stage 1...blame)

Next 30 pages....Dressler wasn't the same player as he was before and the ________ overpaid. We don't need him anyway because Ryan Smith is as good as he is. (I am not making that up...there are some at Riderfans suggesting this) (Stage 2....denial)

Next 50 pages.....Dressler is a traitor who obviously has a bad attitude anyway. He will never be as good as he was in Regina anyway and wasn't worth the money we would have paid him. Search for silver lining (more money for Chick etc.) (Stage 3...acceptance)

Pretty much how it goes with every player who chooses to move on from the Riders...even though they were a slam dunk to re-sign because money doesn't matter to a player once they've played for the Riders. So far, with the exception of Fantuz and Butler, Taman has been able to pull out the cheque book and keep Rider fans illusions of Shangri la alive. These guys will soon realize that after so many times of doing that SMS room becomes extremely tight and he can't bust out the chequebook with the highest bid every time. Dressler may turn out to be the guy where eyes get opened in Shangri la.

Sask already re-signed TBrack and he's old enough that his next contract will be lower.  They lost guys too.  I mean where do you think Sheets and Dressler's cap hits went...?  Sam Hurl?  Taman has space even if he backloaded stuff last year.  Rookie RBs, LBs, REC...

As for Toronto, I'm supposed to believe that Barnes, Durie, Owens, Emry don't take up a ton of space?  Okey-dokey.

Sask already re-signed TBrack and he's old enough that his next contract will be lower.  They lost guys too.  I mean where do you think Sheets and Dressler's cap hits went...?  Sam Hurl?  Taman has space even if he backloaded stuff last year.  Rookie RBs, LBs, REC...

As for Toronto, I'm supposed to believe that Barnes, Durie, Owens, Emry don't take up a ton of space?  Okey-dokey.

Let's correct what I will charitably call misconceptions that you have.

TBrack is in the final year of his contract that he signed prior to the 2013 season. Since then he had an allstar year and was nominated by his team for Defensive player of the year. His contract is going up.

Sheets was playing on an entry level contract when he left. Ford is making more money this year with the Riders than Sheets was getting.

The Riders signed lucrative contract extensions with big signing bonuses to Labatte, Getzlaf, Rob Bagg and gave Durant an almost 500k a year contract.

Also, Taman backloaded a bunch of salary from 2013 to this year. Rumor has it that a hefty portion of Geroy and Chick's 2013 salary on the books for this year's cap.

I'm sure that Toronto does have some very handsomely paid players. Just not as many as Regina. The Rider OL is close to a million dollars all by itself.

Durant, Getzlaf, Bagg, Picard, and LaBatte all signed new extensions in the off-season. They also re-signed Taj Smith, who already made 100K, Terrell Maze, who likely makes close to if not more being one of the league's top HB's.

Milo probably got a pretty decent raise too after his 2013 season.

Well, I guess we will see what happens...  Geroy, Shologan, Anderson are gone, but who knows what was backloaded.  This just reminds me of last year's threads where all through the season everyone barked about Taman mismanaging the cap and not any space left and he just kept signing guys...

GC always rags on Taman - pretty sure Taman 2014 has learned something after like 15 years in the league... we'll see.

What does attendance have to do with anything? Are you aware of what Toronto's cap situation is, or are you just rambling? The Riders have been documented by several media sources as being very tight to the cap presently. Haven't heard that about Toronto. The fact that their media is reporting that Toronto has strong interest in Dressler leads me to believe that they either have the cap room to offer him a big contract, or they are willing to make cap room for him.

Off the books for the Riders this season:

• Simon
  • Anderson
  • Mike McCullough
  • Shologan
  • Butler
  • Rey Williams

Taman has the money to re-sign Dressler and there is little to no doubt that he will.  Anybody thinking otherwise is just wishful thinking.

You have to think the Riders would have budgeted to have some money socked away to offer Dressler or Sheets or both a contract if they didn't make the NFL.  

If they didn't, then Taman should be looking for his next gig.

Saskatchewan has the money because they have proven that they don't give a **** about going over the cap. If Dressler or Sheets or both shake free they'll back a dump truck full of money up to them and to hell with the cap. Which is greatly ironic since it was the Riders who cried the loudest when the Esks would do the same.