Duck Dynasty, War, and religion!

Love the Royal Blue uniforms, and hate the idea of camo uniforms- that would make the CFL just like US college games where fundamentalist religion, militarism and sports are all conflated. That's the American Way. Canada has had enough military glorification and adventures in support of wars that have no relevance to us.

You can support the military without supporting war.

I certainly disagree with the idea of wars but.. you know what, those guys who put their lives on the line so i can sit here and say whatever i want, well...gotta respect them for that.

Without war, we'd all be speaking german right now and would be talking about soccer. 

Love the Royal Blue uniforms, and hate the idea of camo uniforms- that would make the CFL just like US college games where fundamentalist religion, militarism and sports are all conflated. That's the American Way. Canada has had enough military glorification and adventures in support of wars that have no relevance to us.

You bring up a good point... anything that bothers the type of people that get all worked up about "evil fundamentalist religion" and "American-style militarism" invading football is fine by me.  Bring on the camo jerseys!

If I have to put up with seeing players be publicly torn apart for making the most mild of comments against whatever big gay story is out there, then maybe the other side can handle a little bit of camo and religion (not that there's anything inherently "religious" about supporting the military)

Theres nothing wrong with duck dynasty, it's about a familly who sticks by each other no matter what.. the ups and downs but they are always there for eachother and familly always comes first for them. Duck Dynasty sends a good message to people... What it says is... in the end, all you got is your family and friends. 

I certainly disagree with the idea of wars but.. you know what, those guys who put their lives on the line so i can sit here and say whatever i want, well...gotta respect them for that.

Without war, we'd all be speaking german right now and would be talking about soccer. 

Or speaking Russian, driving Ladas going Da Comrade. 

I really don't understand the point in this Jersey, it really does make very little sense, It's pretty ugly actually, unless the colour there is a bit distorted, which i'm sure it is, but still.. i don't like it at all. 

As for Duck Dynasty, it's not the best show on TV that's for sure but the message they deliver is pretty solid, Family comes first. In the age of reality shows that concentrate so much on drama and BS, it's nice to see one that puts family first. It's entertaining, it's a good 30 minutes of tv, it's not great but these days, what really is. 

Let's face it, for as lightweight of a show that Duck Dynasty is, it still has more worthwhile content in there than 99% of the junk that is on TV.

Some of us just don't understand the cultural significance of watching zombies kill everyone (Walking Dead), or medieval kings having sex with their sisters (Game of Thrones/Riderville).

Let's face it, for as lightweight of a show that Duck Dynasty is, it still has more worthwhile content in there than 99% of the junk that is on TV.

Some of us just don't understand the cultural significance of watching zombies kill everyone (Walking Dead), or medieval kings having sex with their sisters (Game of Thrones/Riderville).

Those of us of advanced intellectual and emotional capacity prefer Game of Thrones and Walking Dead.

Duck Dynasty sure does promote the good old family values of hating people that are different...

Yeah, my favorite episode is the one where Phil talked about how he hates gays and wishes he could kill them all...

Seems to me the only ones hating people that are different are the people who hate Duck Dynasty because they're Christians.

You know, just to choo choo this thread-train right of the rails....

I had seen a few commercials for Brooklyn 99 (That cop show with Andy Samburg) and thought, "Holy **** that looks terrible. Welcome to an hour of non-stop Andy Samburg jokes).

My wife and I started watching it on netflix, and it's actually really really good. The other cast/characters are strong enough that Andy Samburg is toned down/muted enough and it all works.

Its sad that some people are actually stupid enough to make the connection between anti-Christian and anti-prejudice.  The idiot on Duck Dynasty hiding behind religion to spew his hatred does a dis-service to religious people everywhere and it's unfortunate that so many people jumped to his defense.  You can be a Christian without hating gays.  I dislike censorship but when it comes down to a choice between hate or not hate, its a shame the network behind DD caved under the pressure of the ignorant right.

As an aside, this very topic led to me getting banned from a Jets forum because one of the admins was VERY religious and openly expressed his believe that being gay was a choice.  In 2014.  lol

Its sad that some people are actually stupid enough to make the connection between anti-Christian and anti-prejudice.  The idiot on Duck Dynasty hiding behind religion to spew his hatred does a dis-service to religious people everywhere and it's unfortunate that so many people jumped to his defense.  You can be a Christian without hating gays.  I dislike censorship but when it comes down to a choice between hate or not hate, its a shame the network behind DD caved under the pressure of the ignorant right.

As an aside, this very topic led to me getting banned from a Jets forum because one of the admins was VERY religious and openly expressed his believe that being gay was a choice.  In 2014.  lol

Regarding the first bolded sentence, I would say that it is sad that people are stupid enough to make the connection between having the traditional Christian view of homosexuality and anti-gay hatred.

Regarding the second bolded sentence, you are right. The Duck Dynasty folks are a great example of that. Again, it is possible to believe homosexual acts are a sin while not hating them. I don't see you accusing all Christians of hating everyone who has sex before marriage.  It is true that some Christians do display the hatred you speak of, and in those cases it is sad they're not acting in a Christ-like manner. But it doesn't happen as often as people claim.

If you can't differentiate between having a belief about what is a sin and actual hate towards a group of people, that is really your own problem and not whatever Christians you're railing against. That might be part of the real reason you find yourself getting banned from other discussion forums.

p.s. I'm busy for the rest of the day, so you can consider this Max's HOT TAKE of the Day.

I agree with you Max.

I indentify as a Christian though Im not much of a Church goer these days.  My parents certainly are.  I actually discussed this very topic with my mom who has zero issue with gays.  She explained their Church' official position was that you are born gay and thus, it was God's will.  And thus, being gay cannot be a sin.  But the Church believes gay acts are sinful (go figure).  I guess it's a step in the right direction though.

The sad thing about religion is, it can so rewarding and fulfilling and yet too many people use it as a crutch and an excuse to hate others.  I cannot possibly imagine the craziness inside a person's head where they think its okay to hate people in the name of Jesus Christ.  Does not compute.  But you look at the mid-east and its war over religion.

I dont want to blindly defend Isreal but Ive been shocked by the mainstream anti-Isreal positions taken by a lot of people.  If Mexico was shooting missles into Texas on a regular basis, Mexico wouldnt be around very long and Obama wouldnt be open to a differing opinion on that from a mid-east leader.

Actually, without war, and I mean no war at all, none of the above would've happened.  War has become so ingrained in us - we forget to consider what a peaceful world could look like.

The idea that we must fight wars to create peace is inherently flawed.  This year is the 100th anniversary of World War I.  That war is the classic example of what happens when too many people blindly support war.

As for Duck Dynasty, I have no respect for that show; none whatsoever.

I have trouble understanding how otherwise intelligent people can believe there is a supreme being guiding our lives. I could see it making sense back in the days when people were afraid of the sun, but it seems crazy now.

Anywho, I will slowly back away from this thread now.

I'm sure we can agree to disagree on that point.  

I have trouble understanding how otherwise intelligent people can believe there is a supreme being guiding our lives. I could see it making sense back in the days when people were afraid of the sun, but it seems crazy now.

Anywho, I will slowly back away from this thread now.

I just had this debate with a friend of mine actually.  I have no issue with people believing in a higher power.  Who is anyone to say that God doesn't exist?  God doesnt have to mean a beam of light living on a cloud.  There is enough oddity in the world that I can accept we dont know everything about live, creation, existence etc.

Some would have you believe that the stories of Gods and visitors and creators were due to alien intervention in early human history.