Duck Dynasty, War, and religion!

Lets be careful on how we proceed on this topic.  

I'd really prefer to leave this open and allow for the discussion (since that is what message boards are for), but for whatever reason this topic tends to degenerate into calling out other posters and name calling like no other.

Keep the discussion on the topic and a debate, and don't make it personal, or the topic will be locked.  A few posts have been edited / deleted. Let me know if you have any questions.

If I was the network behind DD (I cant recall the Network off the top of my head), my position would have been "absolutely this guy has the right to his opinion.  But as a business we have the right to choose who we do business with.  And we choose not to do business with someone who hates gays."  Period.  Thats not an attack on Christianity.  its an attack on hate.  I was really ashamed of that Network for caving to the pressure.

Its sad that some people are actually stupid enough to make the connection between anti-Christian and anti-prejudice.  The idiot on Duck Dynasty hiding behind religion to spew his hatred does a dis-service to religious people everywhere and it's unfortunate that so many people jumped to his defense.  You can be a Christian without hating gays.  I dislike censorship but when it comes down to a choice between hate or not hate, its a shame the network behind DD caved under the pressure of the ignorant right.

As an aside, this very topic led to me getting banned from a Jets forum because one of the admins was VERY religious and openly expressed his believe that being gay was a choice.  In 2014.  lol

Regarding the first bolded sentence, I would say that it is sad that people are stupid enough to make the connection between having the traditional Christian view of homosexuality and anti-gay hatred.

I'm curious to know what the traditional christian view of homosexuality is

I have trouble understanding how otherwise intelligent people can believe there is a supreme being guiding our lives. I could see it making sense back in the days when people were afraid of the sun, but it seems crazy now.

Anywho, I will slowly back away from this thread now.

I just had this debate with a friend of mine actually.  I have no issue with people believing in a higher power.  Who is anyone to say that God doesn't exist?  God doesnt have to mean a beam of light living on a cloud.  There is enough oddity in the world that I can accept we dont know everything about live, creation, existence etc.

Some would have you believe that the stories of Gods and visitors and creators were due to alien intervention in early human history.

This is the argument that I take exception to. Who's to say there isn't a planet full of pink minotaurs somewhere in the universe? Nobody has proven there isn't. IMO asking somebody to prove a negative isn't a valid argument.

Having said all that, as long as a person doesn't push their beliefs on other people I won't argue my pov with them. If believing in something helps, all the power to you.

Its sad that some people are actually stupid enough to make the connection between anti-Christian and anti-prejudice.  The idiot on Duck Dynasty hiding behind religion to spew his hatred does a dis-service to religious people everywhere and it's unfortunate that so many people jumped to his defense.  You can be a Christian without hating gays.  I dislike censorship but when it comes down to a choice between hate or not hate, its a shame the network behind DD caved under the pressure of the ignorant right.

As an aside, this very topic led to me getting banned from a Jets forum because one of the admins was VERY religious and openly expressed his believe that being gay was a choice.  In 2014.  lol

Regarding the first bolded sentence, I would say that it is sad that people are stupid enough to make the connection between having the traditional Christian view of homosexuality and anti-gay hatred.

Well... The Bible refers to sexual practices that may be called "homosexual" in today's world, but the original language texts of the Bible do not refer explicitly to homosexuality as a sexual orientation. For example, passages in the Old Testament book Leviticus prohibit "lying with mankind as with womankind" and the story of Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 19) has been interpreted by some as condemning homosexual practice.

My argument is the Bible was written by man X amount of years ago in a very, very, very different world.  The idea that the Bible is the word of God is simply not true.  Its the word of man interpreting what he believes is the word of God with all the personal and political influences of the time.

Any religious person who holds the Bible up as the final word on anything is pretty damn naive.

Well... The Bible refers to sexual practices that may be called "homosexual" in today's world, but the original language texts of the Bible do not refer explicitly to homosexuality as a sexual orientation. For example, passages in the Old Testament book Leviticus prohibit "lying with mankind as with womankind" and the story of Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 19) has been interpreted by some as condemning homosexual practice.

My argument is the Bible was written by man X amount of years ago in a very, very, very different world.  The idea that the Bible is the word of God is simply not true.  Its the word of man interpreting what he believes is the word of God with all the personal and political influences of the time.

Any religious person who holds the Bible up as the final word on anything is pretty damn naive.

The only thing that christians really need to worry about taking from the bible is everything that Jesus went around saying, you know all that stuff about not judging people and being tolerant of everyone. Seems like a lot of Christians forget that and use their religion as an excuse to hate people different from themselves. It's not a religious problem though, if they didn't have religion they'd find some other reason to be hateful and ignorant. 

I'd really prefer to leave this open and allow for the discussion (since that is what message boards are for), but for whatever reason this topic tends to degenerate into calling out other posters and name calling like no other.

Keep the discussion on the topic and a debate, and don't make it personal, or the topic will be locked.  A few posts have been edited / deleted. Let me know if you have any questions.

my concern is that you left a pretty obvious drive by slagging of people who are religious... it's just inflammatory. 

Anything at all?  Where do you put things like the Golden Rule?  Where do you think the Civil Law system originated from?

my concern is that you left a pretty obvious drive by slagging of people who are religious... it's just inflammatory. 

Didn't Jesus teach to turn the other cheek?

Anything at all?  Where do you put things like the Golden Rule?  Where do you think the Civil Law system originated from?

I think you know exactly what I meant.

I'm not a religious person, although I was raised as a Catholic so I am pretty knowledgeable on the topic.  I've also got a degree in science so I have spent my fair share of time with very left-wing people and many who believe that religion is stupid, absurd, etc.  I think both sides are pretty silly, for thinking they have it all figured out.  Someone declaring that God obviously doesn't exist looks just as dumb to me as someone who declares that he obviously does.  In both cases you have someone who thinks they know more than they really do... and they are judging others for not agreeing with them.

Personally, I just can't shake the idea that there is some kind of higher power.  Call it God, call it Karma, call it Fate, call it whatever you want.  IMO there just has to be something out there.  It's like when you talk to a scientist about how the universe started.  Well of course it was the big bang, right?  Some sort of particle or particles collided, exploded, whatever you want to call it.  Fine.  Now explain to me where the original particle or particles came from.  Then there is only silence, because there is no rational explanation.

I'm not a religious person, although I was raised as a Catholic so I am pretty knowledgeable on the topic.  I've also got a degree in science so I have spent my fair share of time with very left-wing people and many who believe that religion is stupid, absurd, etc.  I think both sides are pretty silly, for thinking they have it all figured out.  Someone declaring that God obviously doesn't exist looks just as dumb to me as someone who declares that he obviously does.  In both cases you have someone who thinks they know more than they really do... and they are judging others for not agreeing with them.

Personally, I just can't shake the idea that there is some kind of higher power.  Call it God, call it Karma, call it Fate, call it whatever you want.  IMO there just has to be something out there.  It's like when you talk to a scientist about how the universe started.  Well of course it was the big bang, right?  Some sort of particle or particles collided, exploded, whatever you want to call it.  Fine.  Now explain to me where the original particle or particles came from.  Then there is only silence, because there is no rational explanation.

great points.

There are many example of unexplained or miracles or oddities.  Could they be explained by science?  Many likely could, some not.  Is it science we simply dont know yet?  Maybe.

Didn't Jesus teach to turn the other cheek?

and basic human decency says don't be a ****. 

No way.  You can't get me to back down on what I believe.  Brooklyn 99 is a fantastic show!  One of the top 3 comedies on TV right now.

No way.  You can't get me to back down on what I believe.  Brooklyn 99 is a fantastic show!  One of the top 3 comedies on TV right now.

Is that that awful "comedy" cop show? 

Probably. But the post is poorly worded and inflammatory.

Keep the discussion on the topic and a debate, and don't make it personal, or the topic will be locked. A few posts have been edited / deleted. Let me know if you have any questions.

No way. You can't get me to back down on what I believe. Brooklyn 99 is a fantastic show! One of the top 3 comedies on TV right now.

Is that that awful "comedy" cop show?
My understanding is the fact that its not even remotely funny, is what makes it funny. Or something like that. #Hipsters

No it's not.

No it's not.

It is incredibly inflammatory, as are most of your posts.  Do you actually not realize that?  I thought you did it on purpose.

No it's not.

It is incredibly inflammatory, as are most of your posts.  Do you actually not realize that?  I thought you did it on purpose.

You have a very narrow perspective if thats what you think.  And obviously most of my posts are not incredibly inflammatory.  Someone who has an opposing view but lacks the ability to make a strong point might think that.  But I cannot say for sure whether you really mean that or are just being argumentative.

Clearly everyone else understood my point.  if it went over your head Ill explain.  There is NOTHING that anyone can use the Bible to support as a concrete and definitive point because the Bible is far to contradictory.  It is literally impossible to ever say "...the Bible says so so its fact..." because of the contraditions.  The Bible is a wonderful guide and has some wonderful things to say.  But as "law" its very flawed. 

You have a very narrow perspective if thats what you think.  And obviously most of my posts are not incredibly inflammatory.  Someone who has an opposing view but lacks the ability to make a strong point might think that.  But I cannot say for sure whether you really mean that or are just being argumentative.

Clearly everyone else understood my point.  if it went over your head Ill explain.  There is NOTHING that anyone can use the Bible to support as a concrete and definitive point because the Bible is far to contradictory.  It is literally impossible to ever say "...the Bible says so so its fact..." because of the contraditions.  The Bible is a wonderful guide and has some wonderful things to say.  But as "law" its very flawed. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with your point, which I accept as valid, and everything to do with the way you express yourself on a regular basis.  This --> "Anyone who thinks _______ is stupid/naïve/etc..." is an inflammatory post, regardless of the point you're making.

Theres nothing wrong with duck dynasty, it's about a familly who sticks by each other no matter what.. the ups and downs but they are always there for eachother and familly always comes first for them. Duck Dynasty sends a good message to people... What it says is... in the end, all you got is your family and friends. 

Duck Dynasty is a bunch of scripted crap. Look at how those people really live. The beards the hair the accents are all done for effect and don't portray how these people really live. Sorry, I don't need some 3rd rate 'reality' show philosophy to tell me what's important in life. 

The clean-shaven family photo, courtesy of Life & Style, shows Willie, Alan, mom Kay, Jase and Jep Robertson pre-Duck Dynasty..

duck-dynasty-before-615x400.jpg

It has absolutely nothing to do with your point, which I accept as valid, and everything to do with the way you express yourself on a regular basis.  This --> "Anyone who thinks _______ is stupid/naïve/etc..." is an inflammatory post, regardless of the point you're making.

Myn post poking fun at Atomic's knotted panties got deleted so Ill address the point in a more, ahem, pointed fashion.  Ill debate all day long anyone who wants to debate anything but I think its unfortunate that Atomic felt the need to attack me rather than make a counter-point.  Its great when a serious topic can be discussed by intelligent folks but someone always has to ruin it with irrelevent remarks about the person and not the perspective.  If Atomic feels that its relevent to connect Christianity with prejudice, I feel sorry for him.  I made my point that no one can use the Bible as concrete examples of anything, merely a guide.  The point remains.  If someone has a strong counter Ill be happy be proven wrong.

First, complaining about name calling when you've referred to people as 'dammed ignorant' unquote is quite like the pot calling the kettle black.  Peoples' personal faith means a lot to them, and there's nothing wrong with that.  If you can't relate to that, so be it, that's your prerogative.

As for your other question, I think there are some examples of absolute authority.  Take adultery for example.  According to old Testament Law, a person should be stoned for committing adultery, people took that as the ultimate authority. But when they asked Jesus his answer was "let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

To me that's a concrete statement. There are others, but I really like that one.  And it's a great response when people use religion as an excuse for homophobia.