Duck Dynasty, War, and religion!

First, complaining about name calling when you've referred to people as 'dammed ignorant' unquote is quite like the pot calling the kettle black.  Peoples' personal faith means a lot to them, and there's nothing wrong with that.  If you can't relate to that, so be it, that's your prerogative.

As for your other question, I think there are some examples of absolute authority.  Take adultery for example.  According to old Testament Law, a person should be stoned for committing adultery, people took that as the ultimate authority. But when they asked Jesus his answer was "let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

To me that's a concrete statement. There are others, but I really like that one.  And it's a great response when people use religion as an excuse for homophobia.

A) where did I refer to someone as "damned ignorant"?  And if I did (I legit dont recall that) what was the context?

B) You proved my point.  because someone would wave the Bible and say "adultery is wrong, punishable by stoning".  And someone else could wave the Bible back and say "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone".  That was exactly my point.  That the Bible is ABSOLUTE in its contradictions and thus CANNOT be used to prove anything with any certainty.  It's a guide.  Written by flawed men influenced by the politics and culture of their time.

Im religious, so you cant point at me and accuse me of being insensitive to someone else's position on this.  But Im also a realist. 

Well no, the Bible is not "full of contradictions" like you so often say here. If you're as religious as you say you are you should learn a bit about the new covenant and old covenant and which Old Testament laws Jesus abolished (and which he didn't).  It's not as complicated as people think if you put in an honest effort to read the context of the verses you throw around so dangerously.  I find it extremely frustrating.

To whoever made the comment about just following Jesus's words in the Bible and not all the other stuff - Jesus himself quoted and supported the Old Testament scriptures more than anyone else in the Bible. So it doesn't really work.

Well no, the Bible is not "full of contradictions" like you so often say here. If you're as religious as you say you are you should learn a bit about the new covenant and old covenant and which Old Testament laws Jesus abolished (and which he didn't).  It's not as complicated as people think if you put in an honest effort to read the context of the verses you throw around so dangerously.  I find it extremely frustrating.

To whoever made the comment about just following Jesus's words in the Bible and not all the other stuff - Jesus himself quoted and supported the Old Testament scriptures more than anyone else in the Bible. So it doesn't really work.

You dont believe the Bible has contradictions?

Nope. I believe it's the inspired word of God.  Give me an example of a contradiction in it and I will point you towards an explanation of it.

There was already one mentioned in this very thread by someone else.

Ill concede immediately that I am not nearly knowledgable enough about the source material to win a debate about specifics with someone who is.  But God didnt write the Bible.  Man did.

TUP: I didn't quote you exactly right, you said "damn naive" unquote.

The story of casting the first stone is not a contradiction. It's an example of a law that was changed. 

"He who is without sin shall cast the first stone."  I'm unaware of anything that contradicts this statement.

Theres nothing wrong with duck dynasty, it's about a familly who sticks by each other no matter what.. the ups and downs but they are always there for eachother and familly always comes first for them. Duck Dynasty sends a good message to people... What it says is... in the end, all you got is your family and friends. 

Duck Dynasty is a bunch of scripted crap. Look at how those people really live. The beards the hair the accents are all done for effect and don't portray how these people really live. Sorry, I don't need some 3rd rate 'reality' show philosophy to tell me what's important in life. 

The clean-shaven family photo, courtesy of Life & Style, shows Willie, Alan, mom Kay, Jase and Jep Robertson pre-Duck Dynasty..

duck-dynasty-before-615x400.jpg

Yeah like 20 years ago it appears. 

First, complaining about name calling when you've referred to people as 'dammed ignorant' unquote is quite like the pot calling the kettle black.  Peoples' personal faith means a lot to them, and there's nothing wrong with that.  If you can't relate to that, so be it, that's your prerogative.

As for your other question, I think there are some examples of absolute authority.  Take adultery for example.  According to old Testament Law, a person should be stoned for committing adultery, people took that as the ultimate authority. But when they asked Jesus his answer was "let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

To me that's a concrete statement. There are others, but I really like that one.  And it's a great response when people use religion as an excuse for homophobia.

A) where did I refer to someone as "damned ignorant"?  And if I did (I legit dont recall that) what was the context?

B) You proved my point.  because someone would wave the Bible and say "adultery is wrong, punishable by stoning".  And someone else could wave the Bible back and say "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone".  That was exactly my point.  That the Bible is ABSOLUTE in its contradictions and thus CANNOT be used to prove anything with any certainty.  It's a guide.  Written by flawed men influenced by the politics and culture of their time.

Im religious, so you cant point at me and accuse me of being insensitive to someone else's position on this.  But Im also a realist. 

Nope. I believe it's the inspired word of God.  Give me an example of a contradiction in it and I will point you towards an explanation of it.

There was already one mentioned in this very thread by someone else.

Ill concede immediately that I am not nearly knowledgable enough about the source material to win a debate about specifics with someone who is.  But God didnt write the Bible.  Man did.

I'm curious how you go from making statements with absolute certainty (in caps to emphasize) to admitting that you are not knowledgeable enough to even list any examples?

Theres nothing wrong with duck dynasty, it's about a familly who sticks by each other no matter what.. the ups and downs but they are always there for eachother and familly always comes first for them. Duck Dynasty sends a good message to people... What it says is... in the end, all you got is your family and friends. 

Duck Dynasty is a bunch of scripted crap. Look at how those people really live. The beards the hair the accents are all done for effect and don't portray how these people really live. Sorry, I don't need some 3rd rate 'reality' show philosophy to tell me what's important in life. 

The clean-shaven family photo, courtesy of Life & Style, shows Willie, Alan, mom Kay, Jase and Jep Robertson pre-Duck Dynasty..

duck-dynasty-before-615x400.jpg

Yeah like 20 years ago it appears. 

Do your own research, they changed their look in preparation for the show.   It's right up there with Honey Boo Boo and all the other garbage so-called 'Reality' shows. Pure crap.

One thing I have to say about religion, is that religious freedoms cover your right to worship how to please and not be persecuted. It definitely doesn't give you the freedom to persecute anyone else or take away their freedoms in the name of your religion.

Don't have to list examples when others have. I mean sure if you guys want to argue that the bible, a book written a very long time ago by men is somehow the absolute word of god then have at 'er. But that's an argument a lot of people would find either amusing or silly or both. Accepting science and logic and common sense is as important if not moreso than accepting God.

One thing I have to say about religion, is that religious freedoms cover your right to worship how to please and not be persecuted. It definitely doesn't give you the freedom to persecute anyone else or take away their freedoms in the name of your religion.

Indeed. And anyone who does that will eventually compromise their own religious freedom.

Don't have to list examples when others have. I mean sure if you guys want to argue that the bible, a book written a very long time ago by men is somehow the absolute word of god then have at 'er. But that's an argument a lot of people would find either amusing or silly or both. Accepting science and logic and common sense is as important if not moreso than accepting God.

This discussion that you claim you're not having - I dare say you're quite adept at adding comments that you know will rile people up.

Let me preface with this statement.  I'm not religious at all.  Was raised catholic, but certainly not practicing.  But I respect people that do

The opinion of a lot of people, which a tactic you seem to enjoy using and representing a lot in your posts to try and make your points, really means nothing.  A lot of people once thought the Earth was flat.  In fact, a more accurate statement is that it is an argument that YOU find amusing or silly or both.  You are not the voice for "a lot of people".  You are only the voice for yourself.  Man up and take responsibility for your thoughts and statements for yourself instead of hiding behind what you perceive to be generally accepted fact.

And your second statement about accepting science and logic as equal or over religion as more important is also a personal preference to you.  Not fact.

I will give credit to Mark and Max in this thread.  While you have gone out of your way in this thread to try and stomp on and discredit something that is obviously very important to who they are and their core belief systems, they've done nothing to insult your core beliefs back by calling you silly or stupid or ignorant for what YOU believe.

But I guess that is the beauty of attacking those religious beliefs.  Because if they are true to their religion, they will "turn the other cheek" and "not throw stones", while if they do come out and attack you as you do them, you can call them hypocrites.  Which I suspect is all you are really looking for here.  Is to incite and inflame, and get a reaction.

You've already declared yourself ignorant on the bible and its messages, so I dare say you aren't qualified to proclaim it is not the word of God.  If you can't find fault and argue the words in it, then how could you not understand how people would believe that a divine power would intervene in the writing and translation of it....

You've already declared yourself ignorant on the bible and its messages, so I dare say you aren't qualified to proclaim it is not the word of God.  If you can't find fault and argue the words in it, then how could you not understand how people would believe that a divine power would intervene in the writing and translation of it....

I agreed with what you said up to this part. What qualifications are needed to prove it's not the word of God? How do you prove/disprove a divine power exists? It's not unreasonable to have a healthy skepticism about a God dictating a book to somebody thousands of years ago.

You've already declared yourself ignorant on the bible and its messages, so I dare say you aren't qualified to proclaim it is not the word of God. If you can't find fault and argue the words in it, then how could you not understand how people would believe that a divine power would intervene in the writing and translation of it....

I agreed with what you said up to this part. What qualifications are needed to prove it's not the word of God? How do you prove/disprove a divine power exists? It's not unreasonable to have a healthy skepticism about a God dictating a book to somebody thousands of years ago.
You are right. It is just as unreasonable to argue that it isn't then that it is. Which is really the point of that statement.

TUP wants to keep going until he can get someone who is religious and believes in the bible to admit that it is flawed and not the actual word of God.

I was only representing the counter argument.

We live in a society that grants freedom of religion. You are entitled to believe what you want. No one is going to win this debate and change each other's mind. It is a ridiculous argument to be having. And yes I include myself in that statement for continuing to reply.

I have never once claimed that I'm speaking for anyone but myself. If anyone reads that into my opinion than that's on them not me. Obviously what I write is my opinion because I'm writing it. This is a message forum. This is all out opinions.

Generally when people start attacking the poster rather than the post it's because they have nothing interesting to say about the topic. It's far easier to attack the person than make a logical relevant point about the topic.

If I say something is silly or someone is naive I don't have to qualify that with "in my opinion" because the fact I am writing it on a message forum means it's my opinion. It happens all the time all over this board but people don't get upset because it's usually about far less pointed topics like sports. Anyone who gets upset, in sorry but that's on you not me. I'm never upset by anything on here. Never ever ever. It's a forum. I love the opinions. The stronger the better. I probably get no greater joy on a forum then acknowledging to someone that they made a great point or proved me wrong or changed my mind. I love that. That's the benefit to having a discussion forum with many voices.

As for the accusation that I deliberately state anything for the sole purpose of riling people up that is absolutely not true. Maybe because nothing riles me up I assume a message board post isn't going to rile others up. If you're riled that's on you. Not me. That's your emotion.

The example that people once thought the world was flat is a great example. I shouldn't have to qualify my opinion that the people who still think the world is flat are silly and naive. There are people in this world who would come here and argue that point. It doesn't make it any less silly.

So in closing don't get riled up. That's never my intent.