Bellefuile and the Offence

Floyd

I won't jump on MB as much as some... but there are some pretty worrisome trends appearing.

- he calls a 'decent' game - like he always has... but he also has always called a game that just isn't quite good enough to open things up when we need it.  I'd say three of our four games, MB has lost the battle of adjustments.

- Grigsby is getting torched for the hitch bobble... but that play was painfully obvious.  Even if he holds on, Odell read it and would have drilled him for a loss.  Again, a step up from our last three OC's but that hitch is classic MB...  might want to change up the playbook a bit.

- MB loves using TEs...  I have yet to see these formations succeed - both in Winnipeg and Hamilton.  But he loves them so expect more.

I actually think Hugh Charles might help this team right now... until he got a raise to $120,000 a year, Charles was considered a pretty good blocking back and a quick out option

I won't jump on MB as much as some... but there are some pretty worrisome trends appearing.

- he calls a 'decent' game - like he always has... but he also has always called a game that just isn't quite good enough to open things up when we need it.  I'd say three of our four games, MB has lost the battle of adjustments.

- Grigsby is getting torched for the hitch bobble... but that play was painfully obvious.  Even if he holds on, Odell read it and would have drilled him for a loss.  Again, a step up from our last three OC's but that hitch is classic MB...  might want to change up the playbook a bit.

- MB loves using TEs...  I have yet to see these formations succeed - both in Winnipeg and Hamilton.  But he loves them so expect more.

I actually think Hugh Charles might help this team right now... until he got a raise to $120,000 a year, Charles was considered a pretty good blocking back and a quick out option

It might help if they went out and found a good TE.  I'm not sure what skill set Fitzgerald has other than being invisible.

It might help if they went out and found a good TE.  I'm not sure what skill set Fitzgerald has other than being invisible.

Trouble with TEs in the CFL is that your Defensive Line and Linebackers are usually super fast...  Double TEs just means that you can send everyone and keep your DBs in prevent...  QB still ends up under pressure and defence doesn't have to worry about the RB running outside

Let's not forget something here.

45 points vs Toronto, that's a lot.  No team, no matter how good their O is, plays on that kind of level week in and week out.

36 vs Ottawa, 34 vs Montreal - Still very good and a lot more than what we consistently saw week to week last year, we maybe would get about 7 points when a team was actually playing, and then end up getting some garbage time points when all was said and done.  So far this year, we've actually come out striking against first string defenses and playing some real football.  This last game aside, I think our O has done about all we could ask of it.  Gonna be in for another challenge vs BC but I'm not terribly, keyword terribly, worried about it.

CFL doesn't use true tight ends. We use Canadian fullbacks & most of them have hands of stone & aren't great runners at the CFL level. There are no Tony Gabriels or Peter Dalla Rivas out there to play. 

Hard to say that when players aren't executing and drives aren't sustained.  He made some calls that would have put the Eskimos on their heels only to have our weapons misfire.  And if you can't make some headway on first down, advantage defence.  If everything that happened last Thursday was the result of great plays by the Edmonton defence I might be inclined to agree with you, but we frittered away many opportunities on offence with poor execution.  That's not on Marcel.

If he catches it in stride Willis is not catching him.  He read it, but he's not getting there.  Grigsby had enough room on that side to put up a positive gain, probably 6 to 8 yards before the LB/DB(?) closes off that space.  It would not have been a loss.  These kinds of plays (or the threat of these kinds of plays) are exactly what is needed to take pressure off of Willy.  Same with the delay toss that went off Cotton's facemask.  Poor execution of these relief valves meant Edmonton could continue to pin their ears back and keep after Willy.

I've said before that I hate the double tight formation, but to be clear, I hate running out of the double tight formation.  We don't seem to have the horses to push the line in the direction we want, so scheming to bring more defenders into the box has almost always resulted in failure, if you consider a 3 yard run on first down a failure, which I do.  We have had some success passing out of the double tights, and if we're doing it simply as max protection for Willy then my patience for it goes up a bit.

#Bombers OL had Dan Knapp moving to left guard, Cordaro Howard to right tackle. Chris Greaves doing some drills, as O'Shea said he would be

Hopefully this helps - still not sold on Howard and would rather see Knapp at RG and Neufeld moved to LG but, at least, its something...

If our receivers could catch last game, things wouldn't have looked so bad. It's all about execution and last game, we didn't execute the simplest of plays. Don't care what the play call is, thought most the play calls were fine last game actually, we just didn't execute them and that's not on MB, that's on the guys on the field dropping balls, missing tackles and screwing up kick returns. 

CFL doesn't use true tight ends. We use Canadian fullbacks & most of them have hands of stone & aren't great runners at the CFL level. There are no Tony Gabriels or Peter Dalla Rivas out there to play. 

When Fitzgerald was drafted reports said he had good receiving ands ... I haven't seen a pass thrown his way yet

When Fitzgerald was drafted reports said he had good receiving ands ... I haven't seen a pass thrown his way yet

Now wouldn't this be a good way to jump start the offence?

Slip Fitzgerald out of that formation and you'll have the outside flats at a time that you choose.

Disrupt the box?

Think outside the box.

Slip Fitzgerald out of that formation and you'll have the outside flats at a time that you choose.

Disrupt the box?

Think outside the box.

Outside the box ????

YEAH  outside the box !!!

Disrupt the box?

Think outside the box.

Outside the box ????

YEAH  outside the box !!!

27c268b.jpg

If IRC the last functional TE the Bombers may have thrown the ball to regularly was Leo Ezerins.

linebacker.

Was Nick Araki a TE?

I think by the time he got to Winnipeg he was a slot but he broke into the CFL as a tight end & made his name in Montreal as one. Unfortunately, he broke his neck playing for the Bombers, unfortunately. Ended his career. 

If IRC the last functional TE the Bombers may have thrown the ball to regularly was Leo Ezerins.

If memory serves, EZerins began as a tight end but converted to decent linebacker.

Yeah, he was converted to a middle linebacker by Ray Jauch but settled in at outside linebacker where he played the most of his career in Hamilton. 

linebacker.

Was Nick Araki a TE?

I think by the time he got to Winnipeg he was a slot but he broke into the CFL as a tight end & made his name in Montreal as one. Unfortunately, he broke his neck playing for the Bombers, unfortunately. Ended his career.

They mostly come out at night, mostly..

If memory serves, EZerins began as a tight end but converted to decent linebacker.

Yeah, he was converted to a middle linebacker by Ray Jauch but settled in at outside linebacker where he played the most of his career in Hamilton. 

Shows how well my memory serves.  I see Ezerins is listed in the lawsuit filed by Arland Bruce.

Rod Black trivia time.  Nick Arakgi's son Jason is playing with the Lions as a backup LB and on special teams.

This is the kind of useless detail Rod likes to talk about while he ignores the play that's developing on the field.