Chad Johnson just can't help himself ...

IC Khari

He just has to act like a jerk. It was talked about a bit today on 1290 and I had actually forgotten about it, his hug of the official after the TD he scored (IMO he didn't maintain possession so it shouldn't have counted but anyway ...). That was the kind of stunt he would try in the NFL and I hope he isn't bringing his crap show up here. What bugs me is he's losing the humble act too. From Bob Irving's Twitter ...

Just asked chad Johnson for an interview--he said "not today boss I am just relaxing". So I said "okay".

Maybe learn what's going on in the league (like who the hall of fame broadcasters are), show some contrition and gratefulness for another chance and at least ACT like you care ...  :angry:

Irving and Brown were laughing about Johnson's behaviour on the last pre-game show. They didn't come right out and say it, but strongly implied that this was highly unusual (for the CFL) diva-ish behaviour and they were surprised by it, aside from the fact that this is his MO and has been for years...

... Chad Johnson has been awesome ever since he joined the CFL.

You had a problem with him hugging a referee? Who are you, Roger Goodell?

oh, and what's wrong with declining an interview? Even Bob Irving didn't seem to have an issue with it.

Has been is the key phrase ...

Ocho is a dink and brushing off Knuckles confirmed it...

How exactly did he brush him off?

Maybe Bob laughed it off, not sure though. How I read it, and I could be wrong, is when you look at the tweet it seems more like confusion on Bob's part rather than light hearted "oh that Chad" type of thing. It's almost like Bob is kind of saying in a subtle way "I guess Chad thinks he is more important than the game" IMO.  Why he wouldn't make himself available when everyone else who has come up here to play has, is at least curious ...

Ocho is a dink and brushing off Knuckles confirmed it...

How exactly did he brush him off?

Maybe Bob laughed it off, not sure though. How I read it, and I could be wrong, is when you look at the tweet it seems more like confusion on Bob's part rather than light hearted "oh that Chad" type of thing. It's almost like Bob is kind of saying in a subtle way "I guess Chad thinks he is more important than the game" IMO.  Why he wouldn't make himself available when everyone else who has come up here to play has, is at least curious ...

Chad Johnson has made himself incredibly available. He's been interacting with fans on Twitter ever since he got here, he's been to multiple events in the Montreal area (charity functions, etc) and he's granted interviews pretty much whenever he has been asked. So he didn't grant one the day before a game. Big deal.

If this wasn't Bob Irving, nobody would care.

You had a problem with him hugging a referee?

In principle it's against the rules, so out of principle they should have given him the minimum fine.

I'm guessing it's a bag of Quick Score chips.

In principle I'd rather see a genuine display of enthusiasm than a rehearsed display of duck duck goose.

Not that I agree with TSN radio or Westwood but they did have a point, why use an official as a "prop" in a TD celebration? Do a dance, pretend you're taking a picture or whatever, but why do that? He should be fined because officials are off limits but he won't be because "he's been so accessible and good for the CFL up to this point ...

@WFPEdTait: CFL VP Officiating Glen Johnson on Als @ochocinco hugging the ref Fri: "Generally when a player contacts an official, that’s a penalty." (1)

@WFPEdTait: Johnson (2). "But I think sometimes good officiating is about using good common sense. I’m glad our official let it play out. " #bn

@WFPEdTait: CFL VP Officiating Glen Johnson on Als @ochocinco hugging the ref Fri: "Generally when a player contacts an official, that’s a penalty." (1)

@WFPEdTait: Johnson (2). "But I think sometimes good officiating is about using good common sense. I’m glad our official let it play out. " #bn

I agree with all of that.  Which is why the minimum fine is a way of reminding players that there is still a line that they shouldn't be crossing, even if it is done in good spirit.

If declining an interview with Irvin or hugging an official are the only things we can find to assess his character we are lacking somewhat. Not like ho told Bob to FO.  He probably did not know who Bob was and probably didn't care.

Judged by a somewhat interesting reputation that preceded him.

Not today, from what I understand, implies some other time.  You think football players are obligated by law to speak to the media or something?

Seriously.

I'm not saying it's part of their contract or the CFL has a strict "cooperate with the media policy" (cause I can't find that anywhere in the info on the recently signed CBA). I am saying it's a curtesy or practice that has existed for generations and brushing it off like that seems trite. Not saying Chad hasn't done all kinds of interviews here or that he didn't have a legit reason for not talking to Bob. I guess it's just the way he presented it. "Sorry Boss" seems rather like a rather disrespectful way to me to talk to someone in the media, especially a legend like Irving. Why not just say I'm tired now can we set up a different time? I guess it's a class thing, some have it, others don't. IMO Chad could learn some from Bob. 

Not today, from what I understand, implies some other time.  You think football players are obligated by law to speak to the media or something?

Seriously.

I'm not saying it's part of their contract or the CFL has a strict "cooperate with the media policy" (cause I can't find that anywhere in the info on the recently signed CBA). I am saying it's a curtesy or practice that has existed for generations and brushing it off like that seems trite. Not saying Chad hasn't done all kinds of interviews here or that he didn't have a legit reason for not talking to Bob. I guess it's just the way he presented it. "Sorry Boss" seems rather like a rather disrespectful way to me to talk to someone in the media, especially a legend like Irving. Why not just say I'm tired now can we set up a different time? I guess it's a class thing, some have it, others don't. IMO Chad could learn some from Bob. 

Seriously? Come on man. Calling somebody out on their level of class because they said "sorry boss" ... you must have some long arms with a reach like that.