Zach Collaros has concussion and back injury

@ArashMadani: Kent Austin tells CHML Radio that #Ticats QB Zach Collaros not only has a concussion, but a back injury as well. #CFL

Poor guy...

That was one heck of a hit. Reminded me of some of the shots that Hall took for us last year. Brutal. I hope there are no long-term issues for him, and I can't help thinking how close Willy was to that last game with all those free shots Montreal had at him. Brr....

@ArashMadani: Kent Austin tells CHML Radio that #Ticats QB Zach Collaros not only has a concussion, but a back injury as well. #CFL

Poor guy...

That was one heck of a hit. Reminded me of some of the shots that Hall took for us last year. Brutal. I hope there are no long-term issues for him, and I can't help thinking how close Willy was to that last game with all those free shots Montreal had at him. Brr....

Yep, makes me nervous about playing Edmonton this week. Hope Willy comes out alive. Chris Jones and Odell Willis don't have the best reputations...

And yet you guys keep trying to pepper-bomb me for thinking Walters has to upgrade his o-line, even if it means giving up a solid national asset?

No people call out your stupid ideas not the upgrading the OL thing. See Nate you take a well formed idea then turn the stupid up to 11 and then get offended when people call you out on it.

wasn't a cheap shot though - it was Collaro's fault all the way. I was at the game. The first time Collaros fooled Odell - so that time Odell was making a beeline for him. For whatever reason, Collaros stopped, set, and threw the ball even though Willis was coming at him hard. It's not like Zack was blind sided by the hit. He may have thought Willis would let up on him, but he was pissed for being made a fool last time. If Zack was smart, he would have faked the pass and moved out of the way. What do you want Odell to do? Hit wasn't late either. To me, it was a dumb play by Collaros. 

wasn't a cheap shot though - it was Collaro's fault all the way. I was at the game. The first time Collaros fooled Odell - so that time Odell was making a beeline for him. For whatever reason, Collaros stopped, set, and threw the ball even though Willis was coming at him hard. It's not like Zack was blind sided by the hit. He may have thought Willis would let up on him, but he was pissed for being made a fool last time. If Zack was smart, he would have faked the pass and moved out of the way. What do you want Odell to do? Hit wasn't late either. To me, it was a dumb play by Collaros.

I don't think Willis should have lead with his head on the play. Anyway if Willis does the same thing to Willy and injures him in the same way, he's going to have to tunnel out of IGF as there are going to be 30,000 people waiting for him in the parking lot.

And yet you guys keep trying to pepper-bomb me for thinking Walters has to upgrade his o-line, even if it means giving up a solid national asset?

I think Walters needs to upgrade the o-line, receivers, running backs, quarterback, kicking positions, defensive line, linebackers, defensive backs and coaching staff.

The feasibility of being able to make moves that make the team better in-season is what is in doubt.

No people call out your stupid ideas not the upgrading the OL thing. See Nate you take a well formed idea then turn the stupid up to 11 and then get offended when people call you out on it.

I'm still waiting for Nick Moore to return from his 6-8 week injury. We could sure use him. Oh wait a minute....

I don't care how good an offensive line is, at some point a qb will be exposed to a big hit. If the CFL won't protect qbs at risk & vulnerable  then what's that say about the so called rules we have to protect them? Of course, this is the CFL we're talking about & as we have seen, the officiating has been absolutely stellar this season. 

I think Walters needs to upgrade the o-line, receivers, running backs, quarterback, kicking positions, defensive line, linebackers, defensive backs and coaching staff.

The feasibility of being able to make moves that make the team better in-season is what is in doubt.

The hell you say. Let's trade Willy for two nationals, a guard and a tackle. Then we'll hire Joe Mack to scour the U.S. for our next QB, whom we'll protect at all costs.

Yep, that oughta do it...

I don't care how good an offensive line is, at some point a qb will be exposed to a big hit. If the CFL won't protect qbs at risk & vulnerable  then what's that say about the so called rules we have to protect them? Of course, this is the CFL we're talking about & as we have seen, the officiating has been absolutely stellar this season. 

We should outlaw blitzing while we're at it

I have to say in every game I see ridiculous tackling attempts made by professional football players not bothering to use their arms to tackle but simply launching themselves like a missile at their target.  When they don't actually impale the opposing player they often strike a glancing blow and fall to the side or they completely miss their mark.  I liken this to a baseball player swinging for the fence with every pitch, trying to make a grand statement instead of executing the fundamentals of the game properly.  Turn tackling back into to tackling and penalize every missile launch as "spearing".

I have to say in every game I see ridiculous tackling attempts made by professional football players not bothering to use their arms to tackle but simply launching themselves like a missile at their target.  When they don't actually impale the opposing player they often strike a glancing blow and fall to the side or they completely miss their mark.  I liken this to a baseball player swinging for the fence with every pitch, trying to make a grand statement instead of executing the fundamentals of the game properly.  Turn tackling back into to tackling and penalize every missile launch as "spearing".

Tackling isn't as good as you like it because of the non contact in practices we have now & only 1 practice a week in full pads. Back in the day, even CFL players practiced tackling drills everyday. Now they don't & they get sloppy & develop bad habits. Expect to see a lot more of it. I talked to former Stamps safety Greg Peterson who played with Calgary from 1982-91 & he said they were always practicing their tackling when he played. 

Tackling isn't as good as you like it because of the non contact in practices we have now & only 1 practice a week in full pads. Back in the day, even CFL players practiced tackling drills everyday. Now they don't & they get sloppy & develop bad habits. Expect to see a lot more of it. I talked to former Stamps safety Greg Peterson who played with Calgary from 1982-91 & he said they were always practicing their tackling when he played. 

Bringing this back to Collaros injury, my thought is if they penalize the high impact style of tackling the players will have to resort back to better tackling techniques of old.  The penalty chould be called "tackling with no arms".  In the end it's about protecting the QB and reducing brain injuries which should be a high priority for the CFL, It only takes one group lawsuit by retired players who sustained brain injuries and they could be out of business.  

Interesting thought. The actually fundamentals of form tackling are changing to chest plate tackling, safe contact which is going to take some time, some commitment/buy-in and some tweaking before it works itself up to the professional leagues.

Bringing this back to Collaros injury, my thought is if they penalize the high impact style of tackling the players will have to resort back to better tackling techniques of old.  The penalty chould be called "tackling with no arms".  In the end it's about protecting the QB and reducing brain injuries which should be a high priority for the CFL, It only takes one group lawsuit by retired players who sustained brain injuries and they could be out of business.  

Your last sentence are bang on & why I clicked "Like". All it's going to take to put the CFL out of business is a big, big lawsuit. If that happens then all the fans that say we might as well play touch football will be watching touch football because the CFL will be finished. Wasn't there a $95 million dollar out of court settlement for a group of former players with concussions who sued the NFL.