Bomber Depth Chart Week 3 vs Montreal

Jpan85

Funny Woods is leading the league in return yards but at least in pre season Cotton looks to have the more explosive plays in him.

Second in the league on punt returns (total yards) .. and averaging almost 10 yards a clip on his returns .. he's also fielded more punts than any other returner to this point (15, next closest is 11)

Fourth in kickoff returns (total yards) .. middle of the pack with respect to kickoff return average ..

What's nice to see is that Hajrullahu is leading the league in yards per kickoff .. 66.8 yards .. it's nice to see teams working with a bit longer field this season.

Funny Woods is leading the league in return yards but at least in pre season Cotton looks to have the more explosive plays in him.

Second in the league on punt returns (total yards) .. and averaging almost 10 yards a clip on his returns .. he's also fielded more punts than any other returner to this point (15, next closest is 11)

Fourth in kickoff returns (total yards) .. middle of the pack with respect to kickoff return average ..

What's nice to see is that Hajrullahu is leading the league in yards per kickoff .. 66.8 yards .. it's nice to see teams working with a bit longer field this season.

3rd in punt returns among regulars, 4th in kickoff return average among regulars.

I'm not a fan of removing Woods.  Cotton did not catch a punt in pre-season, let them all hit the turf, had one nice return off one he let bounce and roll.  Washington is either going to make a big play for the Bombers or one for their opponent when he's returning.  Risky move IMO when we have a guy who is not only safe but a consistent threat.  I could see Denmark or Feoli-Gudino end up returning punts after a few hit the turf.

3rd in punt returns among regulars, 4th in kickoff return average among regulars.

I'm not a fan of removing Woods.  Cotton did not catch a punt in pre-season, let them all hit the turf, had one nice return off one he let bounce and roll.  Washington is either going to make a big play for the Bombers or one for their opponent when he's returning.  Risky move IMO when we have a guy who is not only safe but a consistent threat.  I could see Denmark or Feoli-Gudino end up returning punts after a few hit the turf.

I would have to agree... Woods has shown he can protect the ball, make smart decisions, and get positive yards.  Trying to hit a home run with guys like Washington and Cotton when we already have a guy doing a decent job feels like "A bird in hand is worth two in the bush."  It might work out or it might fail spectacularly.  I guess now is the time in the season to find out, though.

I suspect it has more to do with getting Cotton into the lineup as it does removing Woods, but I'm with you guys.

His numbers prove that he is consistent, reliable, and always has positive yardage.

I think he is just beginning to pick his holes better and has credible numbers…but there is that Cotton intrigue.

O'Shea is getting smarter with every game. Now dressing two spare o-linemen instead of one. Got into trouble last game by having to re-sweater Jakey for o-line duties. Goosen and Swiston are the spares so both guys can play - maybe not at a high level but they're both familiar with the offense. 

Howard is the wild card - by dressing 3 import o-linemen you can actually dress 2 reserve non-imports to back up.

If Howard flounders (I suspect he'll be heavily tested) I don't see Swiston or Goose being much better (otherwise they'd be starting)

I really hope Howard the Duck can open some holes for our RBs - 3 import o-linemen and they all seem to be average to slightly above average o-linemen with jury still out on Cordero...

O'Shea is getting smarter with every game. Now dressing two spare o-linemen instead of one. Got into trouble last game by having to re-sweater Jakey for o-line duties. Goosen and Swiston are the spares so both guys can play - maybe not at a high level but they're both familiar with the offense.

Howard is the wild card - by dressing 3 import o-linemen you can actually dress 2 reserve non-imports to back up.

If Howard flounders (I suspect he'll be heavily tested) I don't see Swiston or Goose being much better (otherwise they'd be starting)

I really hope Howard the Duck can open some holes for our RBs - 3 import o-linemen and they all seem to be average to slightly above average o-linemen with jury still out on Cordero...

Still only one backup OL...Goossen. Swiston is on the 2 man reserve.

If Cotton looks good at RB and returning I wonder how much longer Aaron Woods and Will Ford stick around...

Well, here in Edmonton, we (they) got nothing at running back. Starting the White this week, and though not 'officially' released Thomas, the idiot they had in there, is not listed anywhere. 

My guess, if White doesn't do anything, Will Ford (not Cotton) could be here soon. But I doubt the Eskies trade for Ford, if Cotton shows well I'm sure the bombers will release Ford and I'd bet Edmonton would have him signed in as little as 48 hours provided he can pass a physical. 

edit: my mistake - just saw they have Thomas on the practice roster for now - most likely until they can find someone to replace him. 

If Cotton looks good at RB and returning I wonder how much longer Aaron Woods and Will Ford stick around...

Well, here in Edmonton, we (they) got nothing at running back. Starting the White this week, and though not 'officially' released Thompson, the idiot they had in there, is not listed anywhere. 

My guess, if White doesn't do anything, Will Ford (not Cotton) could be here soon. But I doubt the Eskies trade for Ford, if Cotton shows well I'm sure the bombers will release Ford and I'd bet Edmonton would have him signed in as little as 48 hours provided he can pass a physical. 

Do you mean Thomas? ....Tyler Thomas. 

He looked okay early on, but part of the problem is that Edmonton doesn't run the ball. That is as pass-heavy a team as I've seen in a really long time...

Plugging Howard into the line may turn out to be a good thing if he is good. Montreal's D-line is as good as any in the league and I would bet the game plan for Montreal will be to blitz at almost every opportunity to rattle a rookie starting quarterback. Funny enough, the Bombers may be considering the same tactic, or they may lay back a bit and let Smith try to puzzle out Etch's defense. If Smith is as slow on his reads as he has been for the past couple of games, a good four-man rush ought to get to him often.

Man looking at that depth chart, Montreal still has a very solid team.  I hope we are not underestimating them.

Interesting... I was just looking at the depth chart and thinking, man, they sure aren't what they used to be...

They still have a pretty good D but I do think our OL can handle their DL.

Final analysis:  If Willy can handle Cox, we'll have this one in the bag.

Outside of their QB, their offense is still very good. If Smith does end up hitting on a few big plays it will make for a very interesting game. He isn't going to miss all of them. The way Montreal stacks the line on defence and our banged up line will be something to watch as well.

Looking at the depth chart I see a very good defense that can get after the QB and a pretty good offence that still needs a QB and an OC to run it.  This will be our biggest test of the year so far.  Toronto took us for granted and weren't ready to play.  Ottawa was an expansion club playing in their first game ever.  Montreal isn't what they used to be, but they still have game and they won't take us for granted.

I'm looking forward to a hard hitting game that's won and lost in the trenches.  Not sure Montreal can beat us with their offence, but I'm pretty sure they can with their defence.  Just a few more hours till I warm up the TV, put on the Jersey, and pour the wobbly pops.  For the first time in years, I'm optimistic.

Looking at the depth chart I see a very good defense that can get after the QB and a pretty good offence that still needs a QB and an OC to run it.  This will be our biggest test of the year so far.  Toronto took us for granted and weren't ready to play.  Ottawa was an expansion club playing in their first game ever.  Montreal isn't what they used to be, but they still have game and they won't take us for granted.

I'm looking forward to a hard hitting game that's won and lost in the trenches.  Not sure Montreal can beat us with their offence, but I'm pretty sure they can with their defence.  Just a few more hours till I warm up the TV, put on the Jersey, and pour the wobbly pops.  For the first time in years, I'm optimistic.

Just make sure that you don't warm up the wobbly pops and pour out the TV! Speaking from experience here...

Noel Thorpe is an all-in guy...  we need to hit some screens/dump passes early - then if Willy can hit Kelly or Moore deep by the second quarter, we should be in pretty good shape.

That being said, I'm expecting LH wins the game for us.

And a Teague Sherman interception...