Als @ Stampeders

johnzo

For a QB that lost more than he won and a horrible completion % (despite having great receivers) Smith got a lot of free tire pumping coming into this year. Looks like he fooled a lot of fans and MTL brass too.

He looked pretty good last year when he just came into the league & didn't know the offense. Maybe Higgins should throw away his playbook so he can't study it.. 

I'm just glad Willy didn't make it too free agency. Montreal could have gone after him.

If they stood still with Burris and Glenn on the market I highly doubt that.

A young QB with upside is quite different than an aging vet...

Except that its a franchise that has no problems signing players on backend of their careers. Me thinks MTL is into penny pinching mode which isnt good.

Chad Johnson doesn't look out of place but he has no qb to catch footballs from. 

If Montreal goes with Troy Smith all year, Ottawa will finish ahead of them. They won't - and if they do get a QB to play for them this year, they will be third seed in the east. 

Bold statement considering we haven't seen Ottawa play yet, what if Ottawa has absolute **** defense? I'll take my chances with a team with a decent D and erratic qb over a better qb and **** D. 

Smith had a horrible game.  Not going to try to deny that.  Gotta expect good and bad games from first year starting QB's.  I still think Smith has all the tools to be a good starting CFL QB.  If you replace Dim-Witti with Berry at OC you'd soon see the same Smith that won games for the Als last year.  

Smith had a horrible game.  Not going to try to deny that.  Gotta expect good and bad games from first year starting QB's.  I still think Smith has all the tools to be a good starting CFL QB.  If you replace Dim-Witti with Berry at OC you'd soon see the same Smith that won games for the Als last year.  

got a simple question for you, you seem to like to stick up for every other team all the time, what are you gonna say when drew willy has a bad game? 

Yup. Every tool but accuracy and the ability to read a defense.

If Montreal goes with Troy Smith all year, Ottawa will finish ahead of them. They won't - and if they do get a QB to play for them this year, they will be third seed in the east. 

Bold statement considering we haven't seen Ottawa play yet, what if Ottawa has absolute **** defense? I'll take my chances with a team with a decent D and erratic qb over a better qb and **** D. 

Fair statement - you forgot that Ottawa has no depth either, so when their 'starters' start getting hurt, things could really get interesting. But lets face it, Calgary wasn't exactly hitting on all cylinders and for two quarters the Al's had a huge wind at their backs. They got one point. One things for sure, regardless of how good, or bad, your defense is, you won't win if you don't score points. Burris can score points - and in the past has overcome and outscored an opponent for want of a 'bad' defense. Do you honestly feel, from what you've seen last year and this, that Troy Smith is capable of 'outscoring' an opponent? I haven't seen it yet, and he's not 'young', he's been around a long time. He'll be 30 years old in a few weeks (July 20th) yet he throws like a 20 year old. By that I mean he's more interested in throwing an 80 yard pass despite the fact his receivers are only 65 yards away. Once or twice that happens, he was doing that the whole game. 30 year old QB who's been around...... he won't be around much longer 

Looking back at the Montreal Calgary game as painful as it was, I don't recall seeing one shot of Higgins wearing a coaches headset. Some of the assistants were but not Higgins. Does anyone recall if he wore a head set during his time in Edmonton or Calgary? It just makes me wonder what sort of command he has during a game with staff other players and staff he'd communicate with in a game.

Looking back at the Montreal Calgary game as painful as it was, I don't recall seeing one shot of Higgins wearing a coaches headset. Some of the assistants were but not Higgins. Does anyone recall if he wore a head set during his time in Edmonton or Calgary? It just makes me wonder what sort of command he has during a game with staff other players and staff he'd communicate with in a game.

Don't forget, Higgins worked in the Command centre, so all he has to do is point or touch his hat, and underlings know what he needs done.

That, and the fact he passes on messages to players and assts. thru the officials, as he still has plenty of influence even without wearing striped clothing.

Fair statement - you forgot that Ottawa has no depth either, so when their 'starters' start getting hurt, things could really get interesting. But lets face it, Calgary wasn't exactly hitting on all cylinders and for two quarters the Al's had a huge wind at their backs. They got one point. One things for sure, regardless of how good, or bad, your defense is, you won't win if you don't score points. Burris can score points - and in the past has overcome and outscored an opponent for want of a 'bad' defense. Do you honestly feel, from what you've seen last year and this, that Troy Smith is capable of 'outscoring' an opponent? I haven't seen it yet, and he's not 'young', he's been around a long time. He'll be 30 years old in a few weeks (July 20th) yet he throws like a 20 year old. By that I mean he's more interested in throwing an 80 yard pass despite the fact his receivers are only 65 yards away. Once or twice that happens, he was doing that the whole game. 30 year old QB who's been around...... he won't be around much longer 

I think the sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then and there will be games throughout the year where that erratic arm hits enough passes to win. 

I'm just glad Willy didn't make it too free agency. Montreal could have gone after him.

For those who felt Walters got the short end of the stick, all they have to do is look at Montreal, BC and probably even Hamilton's situation. We could have been a LOT worse off.

Smith had a horrible game. Not going to try to deny that. Gotta expect good and bad games from first year starting QB's. I still think Smith has all the tools to be a good starting CFL QB. If you replace Dim-Witti with Berry at OC you'd soon see the same Smith that won games for the Als last year.

How is berry going to teach him touch on the ball and not to overthrow his receivers by 10 yards?

got a simple question for you, you seem to like to stick up for every other team all the time, what are you gonna say when drew willy has a bad game? 

How do you take "Smith had a horrible game" as sticking up for Montreal or any other team for that matter?  

I expect Willy will have bad games this year.  I'm probably going to tell folks who are jumping off a cliff: "That's what happens with first time starting QB's."

Smith had a horrible game. Not going to try to deny that. Gotta expect good and bad games from first year starting QB's. I still think Smith has all the tools to be a good starting CFL QB. If you replace Dim-Witti with Berry at OC you'd soon see the same Smith that won games for the Als last year.

How do you take "Smith had a horrible game" as sticking up for Montreal or any other team for that matter?

I expect Willy will have bad games this year. I'm probably going to tell folks who are jumping off a cliff: "That's what happens with first time starting QB's."

Huh...I don't understand. You mean Willy isn't going to throw at least 4 TDs and 300 yards every game?

How is berry going to teach him touch on the ball and not to overthrow his receivers by 10 yards?

He'd use the running game.  He'd give Smith easier passes to get his confidence back.  He'd tell Smith to use his legs more.  If he could keep Smith on the field more by getting a few first downs, Smith would calm down IMHO.  Smith looked better last year than he has this year.  A bunch of the problems are the loss of the OC during TC, a TC injury and moving Dinwiddie into the OC spot.  

None of that should downplay the fact that Smith needs to be more accurate, but it could limit the damage.

Based on the last 2 games, I don't know what an easy pass for Smith is, a shovel pass?  Maybe a handoff?

He's been missing throws at every length to every part of the field.

I'd probably run a crapload of deep routes and hope he hits a handful of them, along with trying to get the run going, but everyone is going to sit on the run and make Smith beat them with his arm.  You can't do anything methodical with an arm that inaccurate, it's going to be a boom or bust offence.

At best he'll be like Bishop.  1 out of 6 games he'll throw for 400 yards on 15 completions, otherwise just total garbage.

Based on the last 2 games, I don't know what an easy pass for Smith is, a shovel pass? Maybe a handoff?

He's been missing throws at every length to every part of the field.

I'd probably run a crapload of deep routes and hope he hits a handful of them, along with trying to get the run going, but everyone is going to sit on the run and make Smith beat them with his arm. You can't do anything methodical with an arm that inaccurate, it's going to be a boom or bust offence.

At best he'll be like Bishop. 1 out of 6 games he'll throw for 400 yards on 15 completions, otherwise just total garbage.

I agree,.hes going to be a bishop clone on his best days... Or a more talented mcpherson lol

People knock Bishop.. Wasn't he 12-1 with Toronto and wasn't he the only one who moved the ball under Kelly?

We've seen much worse qbs then Bishop.

Come on man, that's just annoying. You know why Toronto was 12 - 1.

Because Bishop isn't as bad as people made him out to be. He had 22 TDs and 11 ints that year.

You don't play ten years in the league if you are awful.

Guys like Max Hall who flame out with no wins are awful.

Bishop was simply mediocre... Hall , Boltus, Goltz were awful.

Trying to analyze who's worse at this point, MTL or Ham.  I don't think we can find out till they play each other, but looking at their teams, would seem to break down like this.  If you want to go by worse O-line, I think that one is Hamilton's, though Montreal's really didn't look good either.  If you want to go by worse QBs though, Montreal has that one.

Think Smith's biggest problem is he's just way too inconsistent.  It's been his story ever since entering the pros.  Believe it or not while he was in the NFL, he did have some memorable games, made the highlight reels a few times with his play, but his problem was never being able to play 2-3 good games or sometimes even quarters back to back.  Seems so far whenever he's taken the spotlight as far as the sole leader of a team, he just cannot thrive in that spot.

But, also coming to his defense, I think Dinwiddie is an unqualified offensive coordinator.  Just because he played QB (mostly backup at that) does not make him an OC brain.  Plus Troy Smith's strengths and his are very very different.

If I am Higgins though, I am seriously upset about the underutilization of Brandon Whitaker, and even bigger, Tyrell Sutton.  The latter is a punishing bruiser and should be getting at least 20-30 carries a game.  Certainly would help the Als move the chains a lot better.