Tim Burke's Defence ... where have we seen this before?

IC Khari

I know it's easy to pile on Burke, especially with some of his comments and demeanor but without him I think we can all agree we don't get to the Grey Cup in 2011. He's obviously a much better d-coordinator than a head coach. You don't become an idiot and forget how to coach overnight.

I think he's one of the best coordinators in the league, or at least was when he actually was a DC before taking over. He had a strong argument for being the best one even. He should turn that D around eventually.

He does say a lot of dumb things though.

I felt kinda bad for him (not really). Problem here though wasn't the 'scheme', but the execution (not player execution). He's got  a lot of new players there and no one expected much (especially Burke). But......... TONE TONE TONE. Remember last year, on Our Bombers - I freaked first on the two loser QB's we brought in, then I freaked on our exhibition games. I mean, first game we went over half field what, three times? Getting ONE field goal - against backups and training camp fodder. Then the following week, before the game the exulted (eh unknown poster) Tim Burke boasts to the media how in the Hamilton game we'll be whipped. 52 to 0 in an exhibition match is a joke. Nice tone to set sir!

So lets fast forward to this year - what was/has/is Mike O'Shea saying? Any concerns? NO . Who's starting? THEY'RE ALL STARTERS. What's keeping you up at night? NOTHING

Tim Burke

"Our defense is a work in progress?" 

Tell me - who would you go to the wall for? Who inspires confidence in you? So yes, a lot of new players. Bombers have a lot of new players. The coach (and coordinators) are paid to 'lead' them. Burke leads his players to the bus, and puts them under it. And that's what we saw tonight - a defense who didn't believe in themselves because their coach doesn't. You need to remember people, the guys you see on the field - they have been playing ball all their lives. These aren't guys off the street. They need organisation and leadership first and foremost. If they don't have that - they don't stand a chance no matter how talented they are. 

On the flip side, we saw a confident group of Bomber players who even when something bad happened (like the Willy INT) they bounced right back. 

So Tim Burke, you got exactly what you deserved tonight, just like you got exactly what you deserved last year. 

Tim Burke SUCKS. Creehan SUCKS too ;)

Argos looked pretty bad actually, Lots of penalties, 22 or so in total, 30 yards by that Prick Emery on one play, what a goof that guy is.  

Argos Oline looked like crap, Bombers got some mad pressure most the night, Never seen Ray hit so many times in one game actually.. pressured too, Forced to throw the short passes and hope his receivers could pick up the YAC, only owens could though.

Argos are Ray Durie and Owens.. how they go, the argos go. Owens invisible on O most the night, Durie when he did get the ball looked old and not Andre Durie ish, Ray didn't look like himself, Guess it don't matter how good a QB is, if you have good coverage, pressure, guys in your face even, if you keep getting hit over and over, every QB looks like that.. Even Ricky Ray. 

Burke's D looked terrible but... then again, He's an argo so who really gives a crap any more. 

Tonight was a big night for the U of M also, 3 former bisons playing in Coombs Miles and Sherman... Honestly, who would have thought that Teague Sherman would be the one who made the biggest impact of those 3, he caught the fake punt pass, also was it none Sherman who actually caused that Fumble earlier in the game? Seems all the guy does is make plays. 

I was never impressed with Burke ever. Even during Gagger Swaggerville.

His D's are undiciplined that continued last night. Tons of penalties. When Lapo was here and everyone was ragging on the penaties it was the D mostly. Anyone actually think Lapo didn't tell Burkie boy to get that under control  ? It was all about Lapo's team takes to many penalties. It continued until they promoted Burke and it carried forward.

I think he is way way overrated.

Some things never change... undisciplined bunch... that's Burke's D to you... good thing he's not with us now...

And just comparing what I've seen on the sidelines from Burke last year and O'shea last night... it's really night and day

While Burke was just staring on the field with the blank face... O'shea is constantly communicating with his assistants... pumping up his guys... and giving tap on their backs... that's a head coach you wanna play for...

The commentators noted that the Argos db's had a lot of new imports. Could the field size/cfl rules screwed them up a bit?

that certainly didn't work to their advantage but that shouldn't take away the credit to Drew Willy and the Bombers offense since they took advantage of it.

Interesting how emotions always seem to override objectivity. How many of those stupid penalties did Burke take? Do you really expect a laced with CFL inexperienced players that have had little or no time playing together to all of a sudden jelly into a cohesive unit? Seriously? Credit to the Bombers and their outstanding preparation and performance, but do we expect that Burke defence to perform like that for the duration of the season?

Interesting how emotions always seem to override objectivity. How many of those stupid penalties did Burke take? Do you really expect a laced with CFL inexperienced players that have had little or no time playing together to all of a sudden jelly into a cohesive unit? Seriously? Credit to the Bombers and their outstanding preparation and performance, but do we expect that Burke defence to perform like that for the duration of the season?

I don't really care how's Burke D will look like... the next time I'll care about it is when we played them (last time) in Week 8... they will probably have some improvements compare to what they showed last night... so does Drew Willy and the O.

Emotions are one thing, facts are another. Burke has lost it and it's obvious if you look at his body of work from 2012 on. I don't have any confidence they will look any better with him at the helm. If he doesn't have the talent that may not be all his fault but then again he signed off on it and must have had some say in putting them in place did he not? The Bombers were missing some players on D and actually fielded a pretty patchwork unit themselves. They did alright because their coordinator adjusted. Burke sucks and I for one am soooooo glad he's now someone else's problem. 

Well if you want to do a historical analysis of a body of work include his successful years with other teams. What are your expectations for a defence when time of possession dictates that the defence is on the field for an unbalanced extra 15 min. a game?

Something never change... undisciplined bunch... that's Burke's D to you... good thing he's not with us now...

And just comparing what I've seen on the sidelines from Burke last year and O'shea last night... it's really night and day

While Burke was just staring on the field with the blank face... O'shea is constantly communicating with his assistants... pumping up his guys... and giving tap on their backs... that's a head coach you wanna play for...

I agree, all on O'Shea. Discipline and buy-in. I think the guys BELIEVE. And that's what builds teams.