Goltz Named Starter For Rest Of Season

Atomic

I want Crowton gone.  But we cant have "no OC".  Im not as familar with the line coaches, do we have someone that can step in at OC?  If the answer is Buck as OC with no experience doing that job, we're in trouble.

I have a feeling Buchko will fire Mack next week.  I think Crowton keeps his job til the off-season when a new GM can evaluate Burke's job and then go from there.

I want Crowton gone.  But we cant have "no OC". 

We could.  We had a similar situation in 2005 when Rod Rust walked out on Jim Daley half way through the year leaving us with no DC.  I remember Doug Brown saying that they basically just went into "cover 0" on almost every play, which is why we had one of the worst CFL defences in history that year. 

You're happy going forward with Crowton just because you don't know who to replace him with?  A monkey throwing poop at a play chart on the wall couldn't do much worse IMHO.  Keeping someone who isn't doing a good job is foolish.

stupid attitude. You can't fire someone you don't have a replacement for. You say it couldn't get worse, but it might actually get worse, especially given the limitations already on the offensive side of this coaching staff. 

I don't know why everyone is so hot and bothered to fire people in the middle of the season. Wait until the offseason to make changes and you have many more options to replace people with which should lead to better hires to avoid these kinds of situations in the first place. 

I don't know why everyone is so hot and bothered to fire people in the middle of the season. Wait until the offseason to make changes and you have many more options to replace people with which should lead to better hires to avoid these kinds of situations in the first place. 

You don't know why?  Because we have the highest proportion of panicky-idiot knee-jerk fans in the league, that's why.

I want Crowton gone. But we cant have "no OC". Im not as familar with the line coaches, do we have someone that can step in at OC? If the answer is Buck as OC with no experience doing that job, we're in trouble.

I have a feeling Buchko will fire Mack next week. I think Crowton keeps his job til the off-season when a new GM can evaluate Burke's job and then go from there.

Can't see Crowton outlasting Joe Mack.

You're happy going forward with Crowton just because you don't know who to replace him with?  A monkey throwing poop at a play chart on the wall couldn't do much worse IMHO.  Keeping someone who isn't doing a good job is foolish.

Firing someone with no replacement is foolish.

Sure it's a funny little line, that a monkey throwing poop could do better, but the reality is far different.

We need to cultivate the best situation possible for Goltz.  Firing the OC with no replacement would not be the best situation for him.  Goltz is in a delicate situation right now with his development and creating a circus around him could destroy his confidence. So right now, we would all agree that Crowton is not a very good OC, but the alternative, like poop throwing monkeys, is far worse.

Problem is if we don't fire someone soon (around the bye), we kind of lose our chance to hire someone new and try and salvage the season that way. 

short sighted thinking. Let the people you are already paying try and salvage it and if they don't then you make moves in the offseason when there are plenty of quality people available. Doing it now might just give false hope and wind up causing people to stick with less than ideal people who showed perhaps minimal improvement. There's a time and place to fire people, the middle of the season isn't it. 

short sighted thinking. Let the people you are already paying try and salvage it and if they don't then you make moves in the offseason when there are plenty of quality people available. Doing it now might just give false hope and wind up causing people to stick with less than ideal people who showed perhaps minimal improvement. There's a time and place to fire people, the middle of the season isn't it. 

Hey, I'm just trying to discuss why you would even consider firing someone in the middle.  I am not in favour of firing Mack, Burke, or Crowton right away.

and I'm pointing out the foolishness of that mentality. I mean really how many times has firing anyone midseason actually worked out long term for this team in the last 2 decades? That should be a lesson for people to cool their jets on this. The whole idea of "I'm angry I demand a sacrifice to appease me!" has led to more setbacks in the long term future of this team than anything else. 

Firing someone with no replacement is foolish.

Sure it's a funny little line, that a monkey throwing poop could do better, but the reality is far different.

We need to cultivate the best situation possible for Goltz.  Firing the OC with no replacement would not be the best situation for him.  Goltz is in a delicate situation right now with his development and creating a circus around him could destroy his confidence. So right now, we would all agree that Crowton is not a very good OC, but the alternative, like poop throwing monkeys, is far worse.

I think my next realtor is going to be a poop-throwing monkey, throwing poop at the MLS.  Hey he couldn't be any worse than my last realtor.

I agree, Crowton will likely last a few more games with this latest QB change, and the fact that Burke has ZERO offensive acumen is job security for Crowton, for this year. 

I still say the Board will can Mack after Labour Day. While I can appreciate 17to85s argument about the offseason, if the team is in a tailspin and realistically out of contention, they have to do something that shows they are taking steps for next season, if for only optics' sake. 

It also gives would-be candidates a heads-up that a GM job has opened up, long before their current employers can renew their contracts.

Having Mack fumble around when everybody knows he's going to hang isn't good for business, the team, or Mack. 

It also gives would-be candidates a heads-up that a GM job has opened up, long before their current employers can renew their contracts.

Do GMs and front-office staff have the same kind of job mobility that coaches have? 

I understand that coaches are generally free to consider changing teams so long as the new position is a promotion from their current position.

I think we know if the Bombers keep losing is that Mack will be gone at season's end. The one thing I don't want from the Bombers is some lame, 2 to 3 months lengthy protracted search like they always do. Identify the candidates right away, keep it to a short list & then interview & hire that person. I think a long search is a waste of time as the Board of Dinosaurs always get it wrong anyway. So shorten the process & maybe they'll get it right this time.

If the Board has someone in mind right now is available to become the GM, such as Walters, Tillman (ugh) etc, then make the move ASAP.  If they want a period of time to conduct an exhaustive search with all available candidates, then wait til the off season.  If they think waiting will give Mack the chance to mess things up even more, can him now and go status quo rest of the way with Walters.  Its going to be Clown Shoe's decision anyway and he hasn't made any good decisions since becoming CEO.

Does anybody think the board would have some emergency list tucked away somewhere that would have a group of possible GM candidates that could be used in emergency situation like a mid season firing? I know it would be to much to ask for to have some foresight or preparedness.

While I'm still a Buck supporter, he hasn't been doing much of anything this season, so at the very least we should see what the others have.

I'm not completely sold on Goltz being named the starter for the rest of the season, but I believe this is just a pychological strategy of some sort. If Goltz craps the bed or gets hurt Hall is next up and then I suppose Pierce again. Goltz IMO has to prove that he deserves to be named the starter and should be given time to do so.

Still would love to see what Hall could do with this offense, even though i wasn't high on the guy coming in, although in fairness that had more to do with knowing little about him and more about Clement.