Ottawa Will Have A Better Qb Than Us

B-F-F-C

It sucks that the Red Blacks will have a better QB than we will for the start of the 2014 CFL season.   It'll more than likely be Tate as the Stamps are leaning heavily on protecting Mitchell.    

So unless Goltz pans out and starts to win.  We could be have a worse record than the new expansion team.  If I were Mack, I'd phone up Hufnagel right now and ask what it would take to get Tate in a Bomber uniform.  If it means next years #1 pick, then I say "Go For It".

Tate does not have near the injury history Pierce does. His near season ender from last year would have put ANYONE on the shelf, and Tate here would be by far the best quarterback we've had in a long, long time.

There is risk in his injury history and the fact that he may be completely useless without Hufnagel, Dickenson, and the Stampeder offence in general.

But on the other hand, there is plenty of risk in just going with a guy like Goltz as well.

Tough call.  The injury history really scares me but the potential upside is huge.  It would have to be the right price, I guess.

Tate does not have near the injury history Pierce does. His near season ender from last year would have put ANYONE on the shelf, and Tate here would be by far the best quarterback we've had in a long, long time.

but that's how it started with PIerce too "well anyone would have got hurt from that, he's just been unlucky" Jesse Lumsden and his dad used to say the same kinds of things. Some guys just have that bad luck with getting hurt, I'm not convinced Tate is going to be the guy to stay healthy and if I'm getting one of the veterans from Calgary I would rather it be Glenn just because you know exactly what you're getting. 

I think the point here is that the Bombers could make a move on a number of different guys this year. There IS going to be unprecedented opportunity to get some pretty solid quarterbacking; once teams have decided who they are going to protect the others are up for grabs. I'd be completely shocked if the Bombers don't make a deal to acquire a starting qb before the Ottawa selection.

Perhaps someone should research Tate's injury history in college before jumping on that bandwagon.

Already done.  He stayed pretty healthy throughout college, at least no long term injuries.  Missed a game here and there but threw over 350 passes for 3 straight seasons.

It sucks that the Red Blacks will have a better QB than we will for the start of the 2014 CFL season.   It'll more than likely be Tate as the Stamps are leaning heavily on protecting Mitchell.    

No guarantee about that. Most fans want Mitchell protected but it doesn't mean Mitchell will be. Tate is a strange dude.

That's been the plan for years & how has that worked out? Putting the future in Goltz's hands? Not ready to do that.

It's already done.

It was done when Elliott and Brink were released.

There is no future with Buck and there is no hope of winning a Grey Cup this year, so let's get Goltz all the time he needs.

If your going to trade a first rounder for a Calgary QB it better be Mitchell.

To me, this is where a GM of a team that needs to get better at QB should have someone out there scouting the heck out of all of the Tate, Nicholls, Willys, Collaros, Harris, Portis, types and any other backup with promise. I've got nothing against Goltz, but imo, you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket unless you know that basket is of GC quality.

Desjardins will draft a QB. They likely won't draft 2 as that would allow 2 teams to protect extra players... but drafting 1 only takes a couple of players (two addtional imports and non-imports) from just that 1 team off of the board. The other Redblacks QBs will likely come via free agency.

This is also why waiting until the end of the season to fire a GM in this of all years could be a grave error. This is a rare opportunity to have teams that do not want to surrender an asset for nothing trade away a prized asset. (as well as having the man in place now who can secure the team's NI future by extending Muamba and JE).

Does Ottawa draft QBs first and then players? I seem to recall if a QB is taken that team can protect 2 more NIs. If that is the case, which QB does Ottawa take? Would you rather take Drew Wiley or get a shot at a Chris Best or Ricky Foley?

i believe that if Ottawa drafts a QB from a team, that team will be able to protect an additional 2 imports and non-imports. so in some ways... a team with lots of assets to protect would actually benefit from exposing a QB to them... provided of course that they were secure at QB otherwise.

To me, this is where a GM of a team that needs to get better at QB should have someone out there scouting the heck out of all of the Tate, Nicholls, Willys, Collaros, Harris, Portis, types and any other backup with promise. I've got nothing against Goltz, but imo, you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket unless you know that basket is of GC quality.

Coincidentally, the 2 best QBs the Bombers have had in the last decade, Glenn and Jones were back-ups on other teams.

Let other teams develop the QBs and then when they are a couple of years in take the best one.  (Via trade or free agency.)

This is also why waiting until the end of the season to fire a GM in this of all years could be a grave error. This is a rare opportunity to have teams that do not want to surrender an asset for nothing trade away a prized asset. (as well as having the man in place now who can secure the team's NI future by extending Muamba and JE).

Once again, the thing you don't seem to be understanding is that there's no one out there who will be hired as a GM mid-season.  You can't just poach someone's assistant GM in October.  Likewise, you're not pulling someone off an NFL team or a college team around that time.

The only option would be promoting Kyle Walters and I don't see how having some neophyte GM who certainly WON'T be the real GM next season is any better than having Mack remain in the post until the end of the season.

Once again, the thing you don't seem to be understanding is that there's no one out there who will be hired as a GM mid-season.  You can't just poach someone's assistant GM in October.  Likewise, you're not pulling someone off an NFL team or a college team around that time.

The only option would be promoting Kyle Walters and I don't see how having some neophyte GM who certainly WON'T be the real GM next season is any better than having Mack remain in the post until the end of the season.

I would agree with this but Danny Machocia is available so that blows your argument out of the water.

I would agree with this but Danny Machocia is available so that blows your argument out of the water.

I think you're joking because I'd rather just fold the team than hire him.

But just in case you're not, no he is not available, he's the head coach at University of Montreal.

or alternatively...

you aren't understanding that you can hire your man on the sly (either officially or not) and announce him later... but in the meantime you pursue your best interests under his arms-length supervision.

but you're right... perhaps playing by the rules and complaining that you can't hire anybody and creating excuses for why you can't succeed while everyone else can is the way to go.

or alternatively...

you aren't understanding that you can hire your man on the sly (either officially or not) and announce him later... but in the meantime you pursue your best interests under his arms-length supervision.

but you're right... perhaps playing by the rules and complaining that you can't hire anybody and creating excuses for why you can't succeed while everyone else can is the way to go.

unless you are Edmonton or Hamilton.  Their level of suck is quite comparable.