Training camp report June 12

Yeah, exactly...there's about a dozen Ricky Ray/Doug Flutie/Dave Dickson's kicking around down south just looking for a place to play. Why don't we bring in THOSE guys???

Wait... was I the only one who saw this as clear sarcasm...?

So sarcastic, it's like it repeats itself!

In discussing the backup QB role...solely based on practice this year, based on what I've seen, Brohm wins the job hands down. Brohm looked very good today and Hall continued to struggle. But I'm sure the coaching staff also values Hall being here last year. I think if Brohm looks good Saturday, he could win the backup job, but based on past experience I currently give Hall a slight edge because he has previous experience with Belfeuille.

Perhaps they keep Hall for the first half of the year and wait and see if Brohm can overtake the job from him?   Meanwhile Marve is stashed away and gets playing time in the 2nd half of the season?

I finished re-watching the game today and I think Hall still has a better chance of panning out than Brohm does.  For the most part I think Hall would have looked a lot better had his receivers made the plays they should have (and Tarver just sucks so having him gone soon should help).  I was actually surprised by how Hall looked the second time around.

I finished re-watching the game today and I think Hall still has a better chance of panning out than Brohm does.  For the most part I think Hall would have looked a lot better had his receivers made the plays they should have (and Tarver just sucks so having him gone soon should help).  I was actually surprised by how Hall looked the second time around.

people should listen to me, I don't make **** up. Hall wasn't bad in that game apart from a few throws, the receivers let him down a hell of a lot.

For the record, I think Braxton Miller, Jordan Lynch and Stephen Morris are probably excellent swimmers.  Well, maybe not Morris, but I would like to see these guys on our neg list.

Braxton Miller will get a lot of NFL looks. Stephen Morris, we could do better. As for Jordan Lynch, his only problem as a QB is throwing a football, no big deal.

I think both Lynch and Morris suffered from being forced to be NFL-style pocket passers.  Miller 'might' fall off the radar...

I would sign Morris just for his nickname, 'Tin Cup'... but that's just me.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Northern Illinois and Jordan Lynch play.  He's not a quarterback, he's a running back who throws sometimes.  He definitely wasn't "forced to be a NFL-style pocket passer."

Doesn't really matter how good of a scrambler or runner a guy is, if he can't consistently make throws from the pocket he can't be an effective pro QB.  The easiest thing for a defense to stop is a running QB who can't pass.

people should listen to me, I don't make **** up. Hall wasn't bad in that game apart from a few throws, the receivers let him down a hell of a lot.

The lack of mobility and arm strength.....   unless my tv was playing in slow motion the guy can really only play behind a solid o-line on a sunny non windy day....

He had a pretty rough outing.  Could have made a couple first downs by pulling the ball and rolling out on the zone read instead of leading the back into 3-4 defenders, by my count he made 2 good passes, underthrew one completion that Carter snagged off the turf, and over or under threw everything else.  Wasn't bad apart from a few throws is basically a bad night when you're only making a few throws.  He looked better to me live than when I watched the game again, but I wasn't paying much attention live. 

Brohm was equally poor.  Only tossed a few catchable balls, a couple of his incompletions were on the money but total rockets that nobody could catch.  He's got a gun but he might need to spend some time on the range getting it under control.

Rewatching now and both Brohm and Hall really were let down by receivers. So many drops and then the terrible offsides by Carter that nullified a TD for Brohm. Upon second viewing, none of the QBs was that bad actually...

Realistically, Brohm is going to have to significantly better than Hall in order to supplant Hall as #2 quarterback. If it is the same offence as last year, Hall ought to be head and shoulders above Brohm or Marve and maybe even pushing Willy with that kind of head start. Either way, this has to be a make or break year for Hall.

For the record, I think Braxton Miller, Jordan Lynch and Stephen Morris are probably excellent swimmers.  Well, maybe not Morris, but I would like to see these guys on our neg list.

Braxton Miller will get a lot of NFL looks. Stephen Morris, we could do better. As for Jordan Lynch, his only problem as a QB is throwing a football, no big deal.

I think both Lynch and Morris suffered from being forced to be NFL-style pocket passers.  Miller 'might' fall off the radar...

I would sign Morris just for his nickname, 'Tin Cup'... but that's just me.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Northern Illinois and Jordan Lynch play.  He's not a quarterback, he's a running back who throws sometimes.  He definitely wasn't "forced to be a NFL-style pocket passer."

Doesn't really matter how good of a scrambler or runner a guy is, if he can't consistently make throws from the pocket he can't be an effective pro QB.  The easiest thing for a defense to stop is a running QB who can't pass.

What I'm trying to say is that their draft value suffered because they will not fit in the NFL pocket passer mould... and I'm okay with a 23 year old RB that passes sometimes.

I still think Trestman sees something there even if he's listed at RB.  If he sticks, being around Trestman is nothing but a good thing.

The guys I suggest aren't the best talents out there, they are just the guys that I think won't make it in the NFL and could work in the CFL.  I'd like these guys on our neg list that's all.

You guys are right... Hall and Brohm will be fine - its just pre-season.

Who knows.  After Saturday they might both be unemployed and Walters might have made a trade for DeMarco.  Marve might end up as a footnote in the 2014 season and nothing more.

I was just (sarcastically) pointing out that we all know that having a QB with a strong arm in addition to smarts and accuracy is better than having one without a strong arm.  The point was that if your QB is not smart and accurate, that strong arm is of almost no value at all.

The way I see it playing out is that Wiley, Brohm and Hall will be placed on the roster and Marve will be asked to take a PR spot.   

And how do you see that playing out when they haven't even played the Saturday game yet, nor do any of us have access to the grading of the QB's that the coaching staff do from the day training camp started?

The way I see it playing out is that Wiley, Brohm and Hall will be placed on the roster and Marve will be asked to take a PR spot.   

And how do you see that playing out when they haven't even played the Saturday game yet, nor do any of us have access to the grading of the QB's that the coaching staff do from the day training camp started?

Because as a rule the WBB's will usually keep a developmental QB on the PR.  Barring a trade we need to keep both Hall and Brohm on the roster just in case Wiley fails miserably or sustains an injury that will keep him out of games.  

Last year, yes, I agree that is the way it plays out.  This year?  OShea has not been conventional or safe.  Hall as backup is the smart safe choice, the high percentage play.  Marve spending 2 years on the sidelines holding clipboards and charting plays is the conventional route.

If Marve does anything in Calgary like what he did here I'd put the odds at 2 to 1 Marve starts the season as backup.  OShea is rewarding performance and nothing else.  Some might say that he's not looking at the big picture if he does something like that.  He'd probably say performance is the big picture.

As for me, I've just seen too many guys flame out because of the difficulties they have understanding the CFL.  Marve holding that clipboard for a year or two is how I'd approach it, but I'm not getting the big bucks or wearing the headset.

Hopefully we never have to see our backups play anyways.  Except for those games when we're up 70-0 and the cheerleaders have already dragged Willy off to the dressing room with 10 minutes left.

Because as a rule the WBB's will usually keep a developmental QB on the PR.  Barring a trade we need to keep both Hall and Brohm on the roster just in case Wiley fails miserably or sustains an injury that will keep him out of games.  

4 QBs on the roster is the new normal for all CFL teams.  Toronto carried 5 last year.  Whether these guys we have now are the 4 we have in September will be determined by the game Saturday.  Brohm needs to do something.  Hall already has a body of work from last year and at least a solid week of camp under his belt.  Marve has obvious potential.  If Brohm can't put something together then Walters may be calling our neg list QBs and asking them if they're ready to try the CFL now.

I watched Brohm's time in the game & I don't think he was that bad. He had a few ugly throws, but he also had to deal with the same issues Hall did. He also marched us down the field for a td. Yeah, it was called back, but the penalty had nothing to do with the pass he made.

I also saw that Brohm had Pencer "blocking" in front of him during a lot of his series, so it was "hike" and he'd have an Argo in his face about a half second later as Pencer just whiffed air as the guy ran by him. I am willing to give Brohm another shot, as it appears that they've committed to starting a lot of the A team on the O line for this game.

I guess the theory of only bringing rookies for our second pre-season game so that we get blown out 70 - 0 was a short-lived one. That being said, it is Calgary so it could still be ugly.

Eeek is all I can say if that happens . . .

I agree with you, I see it being Willy, Hall and Brohm to start the season with Marve being the development guy. Now as the season goes on it might change depending on what happens but to start I don't expect the depth chart to really change.