Training camp report June 12

arm strength is the most over rated things people talk about when it comes to qbs. It's a nice tool to have but it is far from the most important thing to worry about with a qb. Brains and accuracy are far far more important than being able to throw the ball really hard. 

I wouldn't say it's over rated, it's part of the overall package....

smart+accurate+strong arm >>> smart+accurate+weak arm.... 

but then again

smart+accurate+weak arm >>> dumb+inaccurate+strong arm  

AKA   Kevin Glenn                               Mike Bishop

The problem with Hall isn't a lack of arm strength .. the problem with Hall is that he puts too much trust in an arm that's barely suited to the CFL field .. you don't need a cannon to succeed .. but you do have to play within yourself and be smart with how you attack your opponent .. sometimes you see him trying to force balls in windows or make throws he's only barely able to complete.

Yeah, exactly...there's about a dozen Ricky Ray/Doug Flutie/Dave Dickson's kicking around down south just looking for a place to play. Why don't we bring in THOSE guys???

Ah, the old 'over-blown reaction' post...  in the last years, TO found Collaros, Cal found BLM, BC developed Mike Reilly... these guys do exist.

For the record, I think WIlly has a strong arm and brains, accuracy will come.  Marve has all three from what I can see.  Brohm has strength and Hall has 'accuracy'... alone its not enough.

The old "overblown reaction post"?

Let's see, you opened with:

I love how its impossible for bombers fans to consider the fact that we should find a QB with brains, accuracy and a strong arm...  Its actually not an 'either or' scenario.

because for some reason only you have the clarity of vision to think that better quarterbacks are better than worse quarterbacks.  Uh, great.

Well let's play the one up game - the Bombers should find a QB with brains, accuracy and a strong arm....and mobility.

No, wait - they should get a QB with brains, accuracy, a strong arm, mobility....and experience.

Nope, nope, they should get a QB with brains, accuracy, a strong arm, mobility, experience....and durability.

No, no, that guy would be garbage, they should get a QB with brains, accuracy, a strong arm, mobility, experience, durability, leadership, a strong family background and early upbringing in the missionary field, a dad who was a football coach in high school, beautiful Dinwiddie eyes AND Usain Bolt-like speed.

Anything less is not worthy of consideration.

(you were arguing against a point that no one was making)

Yeah, exactly...there's about a dozen Ricky Ray/Doug Flutie/Dave Dickson's kicking around down south just looking for a place to play. Why don't we bring in THOSE guys???

Ah, the old 'over-blown reaction' post...  in the last years, TO found Collaros, Cal found BLM, BC developed Mike Reilly... these guys do exist.

For the record, I think WIlly has a strong arm and brains, accuracy will come.  Marve has all three from what I can see.  Brohm has strength and Hall has 'accuracy'... alone its not enough.

I love how its impossible for bombers fans to consider the fact that we should find a QB with brains, accuracy and a strong arm...  Its actually not an 'either or' scenario.

because for some reason only you have the clarity of vision to think that better quarterbacks are better than worse quarterbacks.  Uh, great.

Well let's play the one up game - the Bombers should find a QB with brains, accuracy and a strong arm....and mobility.

No, wait - they should get a QB with brains, accuracy, a strong arm, mobility....and experience.

Nope, nope, they should get a QB with brains, accuracy, a strong arm, mobility, experience....and durability.

No, no, that guy would be garbage, they should get a QB with brains, accuracy, a strong arm, mobility, experience, durability, leadership, a strong family background and early upbringing in the missionary field, a dad who was a football coach in high school, beautiful Dinwiddie eyes AND Usain Bolt-like speed.

you forget strong swimmers.

I want our next QB to breed the type of winners that will make our quarterback position a spot passed down from generation to generation.

anything less is unacceptable and just insulting, to be honest.

you forget strong swimmers.

I want our next QB to breed the type of winners that will make our quarterback position a spot passed down from generation to generation.

anything less is unacceptable and just insulting, to be honest.

You guys are right... Hall and Brohm will be fine - its just pre-season.

Let's be completely honest here folks, there is a better chance that Hall supplants Willy as #1 to start the year than there is of anyone else supplanting Hall as #2 to start the season.

No.

I do think all four will be kept and Hall will be on a short leash if he keeps struggling.

I think based on his pre season play that Marve will be with the Blue for the year.

Let's be completely honest here folks, there is a better chance that Hall supplants Willy as #1 to start the year than there is of anyone else supplanting Hall as #2 to start the season. 

Disagree. This is more or less arguing for the sake of arguing b/c I don't think either will happen, but Willy has already been declared our starter. Hall hasn't been given any assurances that he'll be the backup. We gave something up to get Brohm, so there are clearly people in important positions who think highly of him.

People in important positions think highly of all the qbs we have. You can disagree with me all you like but my statement is absolutely true. Some people just have this hate on for Max Hall and can't see what's really going on here. We're not rolling into the season with a guy who has never played any meaningful CFL football backing up a quarterback with extremely limited starts. 

Disagree. This is more or less arguing for the sake of arguing b/c I don't think either will happen, but Willy has already been declared our starter. Hall hasn't been given any assurances that he'll be the backup. We gave something up to get Brohm, so there are clearly people in important positions who think highly of him.

People in important positions think highly of all the qbs we have. You can disagree with me all you like but my statement is absolutely true. Some people just have this hate on for Max Hall and can't see what's really going on here. We're not rolling into the season with a guy who has never played any meaningful CFL football backing up a quarterback with extremely limited starts. 

Technically, Max Hall has not played any meaningful CFL football either.

o'shea in his press conference today was asked straight up about the backup qb

he said they haven't decided yet, the reporter asked him if its safe to assume that all 3 guys behind willy could be the backup for game 1.

o'shea said it's safe to assume that.

Hall needs to step up, so does brohm.. marve has a spot for sure. (not as backup but as 3rd)

Comes down to hall or brohm for backup in my opinion and so far, i'd say it's pretty even. Nobody has stepped up yet.

Hall has the luxury of a short preseason with limited playing time for all. He was here last season and has the most familiarity with the scheme and the CFL. He should look the best this early of the back ups. Don't mistake that with him being the best of them or having the most potential of them all.

For the record, I think Braxton Miller, Jordan Lynch and Stephen Morris are probably excellent swimmers.  Well, maybe not Morris, but I would like to see these guys on our neg list.

Braxton Miller will get a lot of NFL looks. Stephen Morris, we could do better. As for Jordan Lynch, his only problem as a QB is throwing a football, no big deal.

For the record, I think Braxton Miller, Jordan Lynch and Stephen Morris are probably excellent swimmers.  Well, maybe not Morris, but I would like to see these guys on our neg list.

Braxton Miller will get a lot of NFL looks. Stephen Morris, we could do better. As for Jordan Lynch, his only problem as a QB is throwing a football, no big deal.

I think both Lynch and Morris suffered from being forced to be NFL-style pocket passers.  Miller 'might' fall off the radar...

I would sign Morris just for his nickname, 'Tin Cup'... but that's just me.

As for Jordan Lynch, his only problem as a QB is throwing a football, no big deal.

I think Mr. Lynch is happy with his current playing situation.

Won't argue there...  also don't think his current playing situation lasts very long.

Lynch will end up in the CFL one way or the other... just my opinion.

Gbill. I managed to make the last half hour or so of practice today and stuck around while the guys left the field. Who on earth is that hulk looking dude with pecs the size of volley balls and a huge head of reddish curly hair! He didn't have pads on so I couldn't tell. Possibly Dan Knapp?

Yep, that's Dan Knapp. Guy is a physical freak.

In discussing the backup QB role...solely based on practice this year, based on what I've seen, Brohm wins the job hands down. Brohm looked very good today and Hall continued to struggle. But I'm sure the coaching staff also values Hall being here last year. I think if Brohm looks good Saturday, he could win the backup job, but based on past experience I currently give Hall a slight edge because he has previous experience with Belfeuille.