The TV Thread

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Netflix has cancelled Marco Polo after 2 seasons and a $200 million loss.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/marco-polo-canceled-at-netflix-two-seasons-955561

I watched season 1 but couldn't get into season 2 at all.

I'm curious how Netflix attributes a $200M loss to a specific series when all of their earnings are subscription based for their entire catalogue and not ad revenue or box office revenue for a specific franchise.

Yeah I'm not sure how they chalked it up as a loss just for that show, it might just be the way that article was written.  I just read another article that said the total budget was 200 million over both seasons so that doesn't necessarily mean the loss was that much.

I guess if they deem the show to not be successful, then they attribute the money spent as a "loss".  Thus, the $200mm investment is a loss.  Whereas, a successful series, while still spending money to create, would drive revenue for many years.  Unless I misread the article it indicates the show was popular over-seas.  Probably a better way to say it was a $200 million investment, rather than loss.

Speaking of Netflix, I'm watching The Crown and its tremendous.

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

They must have an internal formula, based on views and subscriptions, where they evaluate the cost to produce the show and the return.

They gotta have something, one thing Netflix does have is exact data about how many people watch each thing in their catalogue so they can tell if things they make are hits or not. 

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Looks interesting, for sure. On a related note, I'm finally watching Luke Cage right now. Really enjoying it. Loved both seasons of Daredevil, but haven't got into Jessica Jones yet. Need to do that at some point...clearly, should have before Luke Cage...

I think i gave up on Jessica jones after a few episodes, but I did watched both seasons of DD and Luke Cage, so that's something i'll have to come back to as well.   The plus side is you dont really need to watch Jessica Jones at this point with regards to DD and LC but I'm sure it'll help before The Defenders comes out

9 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I think i gave up on Jessica jones after a few episodes, but I did watched both seasons of DD and Luke Cage, so that's something i'll have to come back to as well.   The plus side is you dont really need to watch Jessica Jones at this point with regards to DD and LC but I'm sure it'll help before The Defenders comes out

Seems like a lot of the LC pre-story was in JJ......So I kinda wanna go back for that, if nothing else. We watched the first episode of JJ when it came out and it was just SO DARK...I'm not much for all the gory death stuff, so it kind of turned us off. But...Marvel and their damned intertwining storylines, forces you to watch everything just so you're not out of the loop. I really have no interest in Dr Strange, per se, but I have to see the damn thing just so I can keep up with the overarching story..... #DamnYouMarvel #ImNotANerd

49 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

cant wait im a big fan of powerman and iron fist. 

23 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Same i forced down like 2 episodes then another 2-2 and a half. Was just awful. Netflix doesnt miss often, hope fully jessica jones doesnt pollute the defenders, and gets turned around into a good franchise with it. 

Netflix really doesnt seem to miss often with its series. 

Last chance U was pretty good football show, and a new season is being shot. 

TPB new season should come out in march too. out of the park was awful and the last season wasnt great, but the 2 previous on netflix were pretty good. 

40 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

i forced down like 2 episodes then another 2-2 and a half. Was just awful. Netflix doesnt miss often, hope fully jessica jones doesnt pollute the defenders, and gets turned around into a good franchise with it. were pretty good. 

and, y'know, @17to85 swears JJ is the best of Marvel Netflix, so far. Hated DD, loved JJ.......friggin' guy..

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

and, y'know, @17to85 swears JJ is the best of Marvel Netflix, so far. Hated DD, loved JJ.......friggin' guy..

did he also enjoy twilight? :lol: DD was good, the guy who played punisher was awesome. And night nurse. 

21 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

So if Batman was in the Marvel U he'd be Iron Fist?

ehh kinda. But not all dark and brooding and dickish. Like batman light lol. 

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I'd think Iron Man was the Marvel Batman with some obvious differences.

seems like the creators get lazy when it comes to background stories

certainly some similarities there. They really do, and then you have writers who go back and forth and either bring characters, rip off their own characters, or whether on purpose or not turn one into another. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I already explained why, I felt the villian was the strongest of them all, you want a good bad guy get a british actor. That's where Luke Cage lost steam in the back part of the episodes. That's where I didn't care for Daredevil. Just didn't like the villians. The first villian in Luke Cage I actually enjoyed but he didn't last long enough and got replaced by a lamer one. The Punisher stuff in season 2 of Daredevil was the best part of that series but once that was done it was a big old meh. 

11 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Have not seen it but if Reggie is not a closeted homosexual, Veronica and Betty are not lesbian and Jughead is not a serial killer then I ain't watching.

Hmmm I don't want to spoil anything but I think this show might be what you're looking for.

Anyone watch ESPN's 30 for 30: This Was The XFL?  It was on TSN this week.  Really good, if too short to tell the whole story (and it was 90 minutes).

One really interesting thing they skipped over was how the XFL came to be in the first place.  When the CFL was suffering, they approached Vince McMahon about buying the Argos.  Vince countered with an offer to buy the entire league and all the teams with the intention of moving "some" of them to the US.

The CFL BOG voted it against it promoting an angry tirade from then WWF Canada President Carl Demarco who basically said the CFL just sealed their fates and that Vince would create a league that would steal their players and put them out of business.