The TV Thread

9 hours ago, wbbfan said:

they do seem to have a bit of a banal formula. I was hoping danny rand would be a more comedic vibe but cant blame them for following the cash cow.

Yeah it heavily dips across all the story lines, as does hydra but really peaks in defenders. Some of the story line gets a little out there especially with elektra. I could see them using dr strange in as a big name assist in the heavy stretch with defenders vs hand. I cant wait for that series in general. Seeing how these well fleshed out characters will bounce off each other. 

As for a major future phase for main line marvel i cant see it. Even if skrull/kree, follow up of world war hulk, zombies, death of wolverine, etc arent viable for various reasons, the likes House of M, secret wars, and thor the un worthy, are sure fire future story lines. And with a probably slate wipe coming after the 2nd infinity war a story line like house of m is almost sure fire. They have scarlet witch, they dont have the mutant name, though that may change by that time, if not they are going to be going inhumans by then any way. It would be a great way to trim the roster and push them.  

there is a theory I read last night just before bed about the current bad guy in iron fist that be an interesting direction to take.  Albeit it`s from 2 years ago so more directed at their first appearance(s)

https://moviepilot.com/posts/2884836

13 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

there is a theory I read last night just before bed about the current bad guy in iron fist that be an interesting direction to take.  Albeit it`s from 2 years ago so more directed at their first appearance(s)

https://moviepilot.com/posts/2884836

mm thats an interesting theory. She flashes a little power briefly in the series. Talks about being older then youd think. With her level of manipulation and lack of worry over profits, business, and lack of fear in the face of powered individuals she certainly is more then a little old lady. 

She specifically takes about a time in the 1500s, which is when the hand is founded. She could be the demon known only as The Beast. Who early on took over the hand and became its leader. Instead of being a lieutenant, shes actually the head of it all.

More likely, I think shes the crane mother. The former ruler of one of the cities of heaven, whom the order rand was saved by follows. Hense her familiarity with the city, iron fists etc. The crane mother also had issues with a previous iron fist. And that logo on her H? the iron fist logo with out wings. Maybe partially a shot at the iron fist, maybe more crane then dragon. 

Edited by wbbfan

24 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

mm thats an interesting theory. She flashes a little power briefly in the series. Talks about being older then youd think. With her level of manipulation and lack of worry over profits, business, and lack of fear in the face of powered individuals. 

She specifically takes about a time in the 1500s, which is when the hand is founded. I suspect she is actually the demon known only as The Beast. Who early on took over the hand and became its leader. Instead of being a lieutenant, shes actually the head of it all.

More likely, I think shes the crane mother. The former ruler of one of the cities of heaven, whom the order rand was saved by follows. Hense her familiarity with the city, iron fists etc. The crane mother also had issues with a previous iron fist. And that logo on her H? the iron fist logo with out wings. Maybe partially a shot at the iron fist, maybe more crane then dragon. 

I tried watching with that theory in mind but quickly gave up on it,  she's definitely something from K'un Lun or the other 6 capital cities of heaven. The way I interpreted the wingless dragon on her H, was maybe she was an iron fist (or something similar) once upon a time, but fell to the "darkside" if you will,  and her wings were clipped, like a fallen angel. 

Literally just finished watching the season about 5 mins ago i'll post my thoughts in the spoiler feature

Spoiler

I found the 2nd half of the season to be like Luke Cage and wore on too much, far too many plot twists and turns and changing the bad guy too much. Starts off as Ward, then Madam Gao, then Bakuto, then Harold... I didn't mind the odd 1 off fights with like Davos, The 4 people he fought when he accepted Gao's challenge. I think if the show had more of that, like the hand sending specialized mercs/assassins to be the episode antagonist it would have paid off better.

I'm a little confused why Rosario Dawson's character is suddenly all fighting gung ho and weilding those hand claws,  is she supposed to be the white tiger? (who in the cartoon ultimate spider man fights with Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Nova)

Image result for white tiger marvel

Spoiler

in the end, I'm a little disappointed with the ending. absolutely no lead in to the defenders, and other then Gao mentioning daredevil and luke cage, I was a little dissatisfied with Dawson's character never really mentioning either of them other then "I know others with special gifts" and handing Danny a t shirt with a bullet hole in it at one point. You would think as soon as she realized they were up against the Hand, she'd be like ooooh **** i'mma call up my boy Matt Murdock who's crazy as hell and has experience fighting these mofos.  nope, not even 1 cameo. boo.

Considering they all live in New York, you would think Claire would be more then willing to call up Cage or Murdock who are like a 15 min subway ride away to help with crazy missions on infiltrating a ninja army.  If I knew i was up against more people then just me, danny and Colleen, I'd for sure be calling up people I knew for some back up. Not that I would want to necessarily put my "friends" in danger, but if this is what they do, why the hell not,  worst case is they are busy or not interested.

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

11 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I tried watching with that theory in mind but quickly gave up on it,  she's definitely something from K'un Lun or the other 6 capital cities of heaven. The way I interpreted the wingless dragon on her H, was maybe she was an iron fist (or something similar) once upon a time, but fell to the "darkside" if you will,  and her wings were clipped, like a fallen angel. 

Literally just finished watching the season about 5 mins ago i'll post my thoughts in the spoiler feature

Reveal hidden contents

I found the 2nd half of the season to be like Luke Cage and wore on too much, far too many plot twists and turns and changing the bad guy too much. Starts off as Ward, then Madam Gao, then Bakuto, then Harold... I didn't mind the odd 1 off fights with like Davos, The 4 people he fought when he accepted Gao's challenge. I think if the show had more of that, like the hand sending specialized mercs/assassins to be the episode antagonist it would have paid off better.

I'm a little confused why Rosario Dawson's character is suddenly all fighting gung ho and weilding those hand claws,  is she supposed to be the white tiger? (who in the cartoon ultimate spider man fights with Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Nova)

Image result for white tiger marvel

Reveal hidden contents

in the end, I'm a little disappointed with the ending. absolutely no lead in to the defenders, and other then Gao mentioning daredevil and luke cage, I was a little dissatisfied with Dawson's character never really mentioning either of them other then "I know others with special gifts" and handing Danny a t shirt with a bullet hole in it at one point. You would think as soon as she realized they were up against the Hand, she'd be like ooooh **** i'mma call up my boy Matt Murdock who's crazy as hell and has experience fighting these mofos.  nope, not even 1 cameo. boo.

Considering they all live in New York, you would think Claire would be more then willing to call up Cage or Murdock who are like a 15 min subway ride away to help with crazy missions on infiltrating a ninja army.  If I knew i was up against more people then just me, danny and Colleen, I'd for sure be calling up people I knew for some back up. Not that I would want to necessarily put my "friends" in danger, but if this is what they do, why the hell not,  worst case is they are busy or not interested.

They seem to have been trying to push dawson from the role of night nurse to a hero. Not a fan of it. I really like her as night nurse, though she wasnt as good in this as DD and luke cage.

I just finished up too.

The ending wasnt what i was hoping for either. And the back half tone. marvel has lots of darkness, as does the defenders. Wouldnt have liked to see danny rand stay the was he was in the first 1/3 or so. 

Over all It was good, not as good as luke cage over all. Typical marvel series in that it has too many mini boss villains, hints at the rest of marvel too much with out having any cross over. I liked it better then s1 of daredevil. And better then s2, punisher aside. (jon berenthal was an awesome punisher) 

I havent been able to gut it out through jessica jones. Though I will try one more time. The great thing about power man and iron fist, heroes for hire, and defenders was it wasnt all monotone. It was different characters, street level heroes who at their heart are real people. While characters like tony stark were larger then life in their flaws and ability these guys were more relate able. 

The series didnt use music as well as luke cage, though it tried. I felt like it tried to avoid the mistakes of luke cage and tried soo hard to do so it failed to separate it self. Falling into a cliche for these series. I really enjoyed gao, she stole the show every time she was on screen. Weve seen a lot out of her character and i look forward to seeing more. Hogarth the lawyer was also fantastic. Colleen wing was good, and her interplay with danny rand was great. Easily the best romance out of all these series. 

A must watch for big MCU fans. A good watch for more casual fans. Better then re watching the movies. 

Id really like to see a good adaptation of moon knight, but idk how possible that would be. Seeing Constantine fixed and rolled into this level would be great too. 

On 2017-03-19 at 0:13 AM, wbbfan said:

Id really like to see a good adaptation of moon knight, but idk how possible that would be. Seeing Constantine fixed and rolled into this level would be great too. 

YES. There is so much they could do with this character... one of my personal faves. Cloak and Dagger were supposedly being kicked around by ABC but I haven't heard any news for some time.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Anyone watching Big Little Lies?  It was pretty boring at first but Im getting into it.  I hate the weird narrative thing with the commentary between scenes though.

My wife is interested in it. We saw the first episode and I wasn't too interested. Should I stick it out?

I am enjoying The Night Of. We're three episodes in.

The Night of was decent.  It was one of those I felt frustrated by sometimes but had to keep watching to see the end result.  Originally it was to star James Gandolfini and I would have LOVED to have seen that.

Regarding Big Little Lies, I'd keep trying it.  I was on the fence.  What made me want to stick with it is the tremendous cast and its obviously very well made from a production stand point.  I heard a few spoilers (its based on a novel) and that made me want to stick with it.

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

YES. There is so much they could do with this character... one of my personal faves. Cloak and Dagger were supposedly being kicked around by ABC but I haven't heard any news for some time.

It's filming now & should be airing sometime next year.

Edited by bigg jay

3 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Moon knight is such a crazy character i feel like they could cut back a lot and still have a great deal to work with. Really like cloak and dagger, will be interesting to see how abc does it. 

39 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Tether the phones internet?

Depends on where you are. If i go 30-40 minutes west or an hour east i have 0 signal on my cell. Here, i have fantastic cell coverage. But some carriers have none here etc. My hard line used to be horrible too, but in the last month and a half or so its gotten up to a decent level finally.