The TV Thread

36 minutes ago, Atomic said:
  1. TNG
  2. Voyager
  3. DS9

Good lord. Voy was a waste. But I respect your opinion. 

DS9 was on a different level of writing and acting from every other series. 

TNG and TOS would be second for me. They are so different and like them equally in different ways. Enterprise was better than voyager. 

6 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

We revisit this every once in a while it seems :)

TNG is almost unwatchable for me now. Voyager got a bat rap imho. DS9 was the last one i saw i think. I remember it as being darker and more long term story but it never really got to that point until bout half-way.

Almost time for another ENT go.

Funny about DS9 is I also remember it as hitting the war arch half way through but it actually began in the second season. From that point the series is tremendous. 

The fact Rick Berman said Enterprise would be the first series to have story archs, seemingly forgetting all about DS9 shows how out of touch he was by that time.  Voy and Ent were Bermans attempt to re-do TNG. one trick pony. 

3 hours ago, Atomic said:
  1. TNG
  2. Voyager
  3. DS9

oh please Voyager was a steaming pile of crap and the good episodes of TNG were quite good but a lot of them were ****. DS9 may have started out pretty bad but it hit is stride and was more consistently good in the back half of the series than any of the others. Most of what made it superior was that it wasn't afraid to have characters with flaws. Everyone in TNG was too perfect Deep Space Nine made it feel more human. 

42 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

oh please Voyager was a steaming pile of crap and the good episodes of TNG were quite good but a lot of them were ****. DS9 may have started out pretty bad but it hit is stride and was more consistently good in the back half of the series than any of the others. Most of what made it superior was that it wasn't afraid to have characters with flaws. Everyone in TNG was too perfect Deep Space Nine made it feel more human. 

The problem with DS9 was that it was very dry and complicated, I couldn't follow the plot and it just never drew me in

Definitely Voy is an easier watch and an easier on ramp.  That was Berman's theory and probably accurate at the time that since Trek was heavily syndicated you needed a series where anyone could watch any episode and not need to know anything. 

I remember waiting on the edge of my seat for the next DS9 episode. It was really good storytelling. They had a few issues in the final season with Dax leaving the show and the decision to turn Dukat heel. But DS9 also had the best supporting cast. 

As for Westworld, it was awesome. And kudos to them for staying true to their story even though the twists and turns weee widely predicted.  Sometimes that means you're telling a great story and the payoff feels great. That was true in this case.  A great series. 

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

As for Westworld, it was awesome. And kudos to them for staying true to their story even though the twists and turns weee widely predicted.  Sometimes that means you're telling a great story and the payoff feels great. That was true in this case.  A great series. 

Wish they'd leave it at this one season.

• 2 weeks later...

The girlfriend was losing her mind...just bawling last night. Guess the actress wanted out of the show pretty badly during the offseason, but agreed to come back for an arc to make sure her character was written out properly. Definitely a heartbreaker. The two children (Ontario's Lennon and Maisy Stella) were superb....