The TV Thread

10 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

No reason. No reason at all. This is DOA.

Considering it lasted 11 seasons...depending on how they revive it, I think the odds are in its favor.

Edit: It could end up being a totally different show.  Especially if there's no laugh track, and like Noeller said, being about current politics and social media.  There isn't really anything like that on TV right now.

Edited by Logan007

3 hours ago, Logan007 said:

Considering it lasted 11 seasons...depending on how they revive it, I think the odds are in its favor.

Edit: It could end up being a totally different show.  Especially if there's no laugh track, and like Noeller said, being about current politics and social media.  There isn't really anything like that on TV right now.

I can only think they'll take MB and just her and Newsroom it up a bit but do we want to look at a 70+ Candace Bergen?

5 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I can only think they'll take MB and just her and Newsroom it up a bit but do we want to look at a 70+ Candace Bergen?

I'm a pretty old school guy, but what a sickeningly ignorant and misogynistic thing to say.... 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

I hate reboots and hate the idea that Hollywood is completely devoid of new ideas.....HOWEVER.......I loved Murphy Brown back in the day, and it's exactly the kind of show I'd like to see in today's political climate...

I don't believe Hollywood is out of ideas, someone must have thought that there is probably money to be made from nostalgia. I guess the trend may have started when 90210 was launched at the CW in 2008 and since I had been watching the original on tv tropolis at the time, I thought I should give it a try for awhile, and then I decided to stop watching it after the first season.  I didn't trust the CW again until they announced they were picking up a Whose Line revival and that made me happy.

but I don't think they should reboot any more Aaron Spelling produced properties, Dynasty is struggling like crazy, and considering how "well" that Charlies Angels and Melrose Place did.

The idea that they shouldnt do revivals because they should only focus on original ideas is silly.  The goal is to make money.  if the revivals are popular and make money, why not do them.  Clearly they have garnered an audience.

With so many TV viewing options, the hard part is standing out and hooking an audience.  Revivals automatically hook the audience.  And in many cases, the world has changed enough that there are interesting ways to explore the "old" characters.

For one, I think this season of the X-Files is way better than last season.  Mulder & Scully seem more like themselves...but of course, aged.  They are tackling ideas and issues interesting in modern times.

I suspect Roseanne will be really good too.  Plus the new way of doing TV with less episodes makes production cheaper and makes it more attractive to the actors.

The world is begging for a West Wing revival...

I think people get comfort from nostalgia too.  The revivals that didnt work, didnt feel right.  Knight Rider was awful and shoehorned in a cameo by the Hoff because they knew it sucked and were trying to connect it to the original.  

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The idea that they shouldnt do revivals because they should only focus on original ideas is silly.  The goal is to make money.  if the revivals are popular and make money, why not do them.  Clearly they have garnered an audience.

With so many TV viewing options, the hard part is standing out and hooking an audience.  Revivals automatically hook the audience.  And in many cases, the world has changed enough that there are interesting ways to explore the "old" characters.

For one, I think this season of the X-Files is way better than last season.  Mulder & Scully seem more like themselves...but of course, aged.  They are tackling ideas and issues interesting in modern times.

I suspect Roseanne will be really good too.  Plus the new way of doing TV with less episodes makes production cheaper and makes it more attractive to the actors.

The world is begging for a West Wing revival...

I think people get comfort from nostalgia too.  The revivals that didnt work, didnt feel right.  Knight Rider was awful and shoehorned in a cameo by the Hoff because they knew it sucked and were trying to connect it to the original.  

because let's face it, we need to look at a competant president. But even if they did they would need a different president because Bartlett did his two terms

It seems that the only way to stop reboots is that if you quit watching them, I mean wasn't there a brief flirtation with the New______ and stuff because I know for sure that WKRP got a short lived revival, I know at least a couple of Aaron Spelling revivals were around in the 90s (heck if that unauthorized 90210 movie was accurate he even tried to revive Charlie's Angels but no one wanted to do it) heck they even flirted with something called "The New Monkees" and allegedy Micky Dolenz's son auditioned (but didn't get the part)

Oh so that's why three of the actors from the original 90210 showed up, well at least it served a purpose, since Jenny and Shannen didn't fight at all...at least that's what I heard

6 minutes ago, iHeart said:

because let's face it, we need to look at a competant president. But even if they did they would need a different president because Bartlett did his two terms

It seems that the only way to stop reboots is that if you quit watching them, I mean wasn't there a brief flirtation with the New______ and stuff because I know for sure that WKRP got a short lived revival, I know at least a couple of Aaron Spelling revivals were around in the 90s (heck if that unauthorized 90210 movie was accurate he even tried to revive Charlie's Angels but no one wanted to do it) heck they even flirted with something called "The New Monkees" and allegedy Micky Dolenz's son auditioned (but didn't get the part)

Oh so that's why three of the actors from the original 90210 showed up, well at least it served a purpose, since Jenny and Shannen didn't fight at all...at least that's what I heard

Yeah, 90210, I watched the first season or two of the revival as I was a fan of the original.  Not really my wheel house now (my age).  But it was ok.  Same with Degrassie, which did a good job with the first revival because it was basically the original Degrassi High...15 years later.  So you had those characters we remembered and the hook being Emma as the lead.  It was good.  Youll always find an audience with the kids.

I guess the key with the more adult shows is if that audience will come back and/or will a new audience care.  Like Magnum for example.  Great show.  But is the key to draw all the 40-70 year olds who watched it or to get the 20-40 year olds who dont know what it is?

The West Wing would work with the same people in charge because of the quality of the writing was so good.  So you dont even need any of the original actors.  And the world today is wide open for new stories.   It was nicknamed the Left Wing so Im not sure those guys would do a Trump-esque Republican show but to me, thats the interesting hook.  If a media personality wins when he didnt think he would and is essentially surrounded by West Wing staff with little to no experiencing all pushing their own agenda. 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I never watched Murphy Brown because of what Candice looked like.  I was never attracted to her.  It was her comedy and sarcasm that makes me love the character.  I can only imagine how much better she'll be now that she's older.

That aside, that's the dumbest thing I've read.  Seriously, you may as well complain that Ian McKellen should stop doing movies cause bleh...he's so old now.  I just watched the Indian Detective with Russell Peters and William Shatner was in it.  The guy is 85 and hasn't looked like he's aged in the last 15 years.  Yeah it's makeup, plastic surgery, etc...  but he looks good for his age.   I'm sure Candice will look fine unless she's had some seriously screwed up plastic surgery.

3 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I never watched Murphy Brown because of what Candice looked like.  I was never attracted to her.  It was her comedy and sarcasm that makes me love the character.  I can only imagine how much better she'll be now that she's older.

That aside, that's the dumbest thing I've read.  Seriously, you may as well complain that Ian McKellen should stop doing movies cause bleh...he's so old now.  I just watched the Indian Detective with Russell Peters and William Shatner was in it.  The guy is 85 and hasn't looked like he's aged in the last 15 years.  Yeah it's makeup, plastic surgery, etc...  but he looks good for his age.   I'm sure Candice will look fine unless she's had some seriously screwed up plastic surgery.

Funny thing is, whenever Shatner is mentioned in regards to Star Trek, a segment of the fan base is triggered into saying how old and fat he is.  And Im like...well, I hope all those people post photos of themselves at 85 cause none of them will look as good as Shatner.  Heck, there's a lot of 50 year olds that wish they looked that good.

I'm not sure Bergen had plastic surgery, I mean I do know that she was a feminist in the 70s (I don't know if she still is, did she do any marching last week or last year?) and who knows who she'll thumb her nose at here compared to 26 years ago (I hope we'll see her son too in the reboot)

Edited by iHeart

1 minute ago, iHeart said:

I'm not sure Bergen had plastic surgery, I mean I do know that she was a feminist in the 70s (I don't know if she still is) and who knows who she'll thumb her nose at here compared to 26 years ago (I hope we'll see her son too in the reboot)

I totally forgot about Avery.

Just now, iHeart said:

you know, I'm starting to think that they are aiming at shows that aren't syndicated as much for reboots. Hell tvtropolis didn't even pick it up when it launched (they should have had it)

Hmmm...I would think series with strong syndication would be indicative of modern popularity and be ripe for revivals.  Thats apparently what led to Star Trek Discovery.  Viewership for the other series' on Netflix was high and Netflix approached CBS about producing a new series.  On the other hand, if an old series isnt doing well in syndication, a revival might spike interest and thus create lucrative new revenue for the old series (which cost nothing to syndicate).