Main Camp Day 2 (Reports and Discussion)

Mike

Second day ... here's what is floating out there already

-- Briggs is back practicing

-- Goodrich, Watson and Brescacin all not practicing, Goodrich is on crutches.

-- Bob Wylie is back

-- Bob Wylie is back

I love Watson .. it's just a damn shame he's not reliable .. guy can't stay healthy .. hopefully it's nothing serious ..

I'm hoping someone could gave some updates on the ff. position:

Safety - I think it's Sears vs. Leggett, who has the upper hand so far ?

WIL - Aside from Dunn who is getting looks here

MLB - Is it Kuale vs Wild ? who's winning so far?

KR - not hearing anything yet (or am I missed something) - who's the players here? Woods? Tarver? Garvin?

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk 9m

I'm intrigued by the fact that Demond Washington hasn't taken first-team reps yet in camp. Not sure what's up there. #Bombers

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk 7m

@3lue_n_6old Johnny Sears is in his spot. Maurice Leggett at safety.

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk 6m

@3lue_n_6old Desia Dunn and Rene Stephan at WIL, Ejiro Kuale and Graig Newman at MLB and Maurice Leggett at safety.

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk 6m

@3lue_n_6old Kick returners include Tarver, Garvin, Cotton, Woods.

Interesting to see Mike DiCroce has already been cut by Calgary due to his foot. I guess it wasn't a major blunder to let them steal him.

Walters has talked about Swiston having injury problems as well so I am thinking that he is very aware of injury history for players which is a good view for a GM to take. Doesn't do you any good to have a guy on the sidelines all the time. 

Can't imagine a scenario where Desia Dunn is on the field while Demond Washington and Ian Wild are on the bench.

I know he got a lot better as the year went on last year but Dunn still holds the record for worst preseason performance I've ever seen. I honestly thought they were ready to cut him by halftime in the home preseason game last year.

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk 32m

Steve Morley at centre, Dan Knapp at right guard today. #Bombers

3lue_n_6old @3lue_n_6old 32m

@PentonKirk how is Morley doing at centre ? where is Wild? #BombersTC

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk 5m

@3lue_n_6old Seems to be doing fine. Ian Wild is one of the backup middle linebackers right now.

good to know that Morley is doing fine in the C position.

-- Bob Wylie is back

So that means Goodrich is #73.  They don't seem to have any of the names/numbers of the junior players on the roster handouts.  Does anyone have that info?  (Yantz is obviously #13.

I was there briefly, left for 1/2 and hour, came back for a short while and got bored.  My observations mean very little and my vantage point was probably a poor one, but here goes:

- Willy and Hall both made some nice passes, putting the ball thru some tight lanes.  Sadly once they got near the red zone both of them got erratic.  Willy's were high and Hall's were probably best left unthrown.  Oh well.

- Brohm threw a sideline pick, I believe grabbed by Bucknor.  Noticed him breaking up another pass later on as well.  Brohm probably threw one decent pass, the rest were relatively unexceptional.

- Bombers almost exclusively were using those 3 QBs while I was there.  Marve handed off the ball a few times - his knee looked fine when he was doing the decoy rollout.  Yantz did not touch a ball while I was there.

- Most of the time during my first stop there was spent on ball security drills for the RBs, with all the D trying to strip it on their runs.  Ford, Cotton and Grigsby all had some decent cuts.  Didn't notice Smith out there.  Now I know why.

- Some passes caught by Kohlert and Feoli-G.  Nothing highlight reel but it's better than dropping them.

- Oline committed procedure several times.  Once so bad they didn't even bother running the play.  I noticed Kowalchuk moving early on another.

- January cut his hair.  Dan Knapp spent most of the break playing with his hair.

- Suber broke up a diving TD attempt in the endzone.  Think it was to Kolhert, not sure, I was way at the other end of the stadium.

That's all I got.

I wonder if the reason wild and washington are being given "2nd team reps" is because they know what they have with them, they know you will get effort play in play out with these guys, they know what they got in them, they dont know what they have in the rookies though, i dunno maybe its just me, but every year there seems to be guys who stand out in practice and then a game comes around and those guys dont look so good any more.

I don't know if i can put a lot of stock in to how a rookie is doing at training camp, the real test  for the rookies will be the pre-season games. I've seen many a rookie look good in camp but, well, crap the bed when the games begin. I mean sure training camp matters, otherwise, whats the point in bringing in all these guys all the time, but... if the guy sucks in the pre-season game(s), i think that plays a bigger factor. The other thing is.. we kind of sucked last year, not kind of, we were actually terrible.. sure guys like wild and washington stood out as not being terrible but were they really that good or was the rest of the team really that bad? Personally, i like them both and would be pissed if they weren't starting but.... when you are coming off a 3-15 season, is anyone from last years team considered safe? should they be considered safe even? 

Just a side note here but took a drive out to U of M last night with the girlfriend, and drove by IGF.. while driving by buck pierce was just leaving. on the way back, marcus howell was leaving. 

Kind of sounds like Bucknor might have the inside track for that field CB position, with Donavon Alexander being a decent backup.  It's good that these guys showed up as I think Robertson and Jones will need some time to be able to hang with the pros.