Madani: CFLPA Recommends Strike Vote To Members

Noeller

Offer also asked for $15k one time payment to each veteran player. CFL walked out rather than counter.

I bet the young players will be happy to vote for strike now knowing the veterans angled for a payday for themselves.  The CFL should counter with something that speaks to the younger players/rookies etc and drive a wedge.

Keep in mind for the purpose of this discussion, I'm pretty sure "veterans" means anyone who is not a first year player.

That makes more sense then.

Looks like Stu Laird made a huge mistake agreeing to get rid of revenue sharing... Look where we are now because of it. A strike. Where was that dipstick Ed Molstad in all of this? Advising Laird to go with getting rid of it & he's still on the negotiating committee? He should be fired. 

If you have to err on the side of the players getting extra money or the league getting cost certainty, you should side with the league.  From a simplicity perspective I think the minimum salary should go up.  i think practice roster pay should go up and I think the cap should go up a percentage that is not just okay for the rich teams but manageable for the weak teams also.

The CFL might have erred in offering the signing bonus.  Much like when the NHLPA offered rollbacks as an alternative to a cap, the owners accepted it as a core part of the process.  The PA will now be expecting gains in the cap but will expect that one time payment also and if they dont get it, what was once not even a consideration will be seen as a loss.

Depending on what this one time payment costs, perhaps the league would offer an even large signing bonus (say $20,000-$25,000, maybe on a sliding scale of years in league) and ask for a lower cap increase.  How many CFL players would look at a $25,000 cheque and vote to strike in favour of wage increases in future years when they are likely to not even be here...

So the commish offer 1k to 3k bonuses if they sign the leagues offer.

The CFLPA counters with 15k bonuses to all vets?

Ridiculous. I hope the majority of the players show up anyway when camp opens.

Players deserve a raise. But their asks have to be realistic for a league where half the teams lose money and where team have teetered off and on on the brink of bankruptcy for the last 20 years.

I'm expecting the league to counter eventually.  The players still want too much IMHO.  15K signing bonuses?  Really?  I guess the guys with contracts finally realized that they don't get anything except a signing bonus this year.

I'm most upset that the league would just walk out without even an attempt to counter. Yeesh.

Who's to say that they won't walk back in an hour later with a counter?  I certainly don't expect them to sit in the same room yelling numbers back and forth like an old-timey auction.  They're just going to take turns doing deal or no deal.

That one tweet about coaches being paid and the players aren't just shows you how stupid the PA actually is. Coaches aren't part of the CFLPA. 

I was just going to post this.  Complaining about the coaches getting paid is really rich on the part of the players, a PA rep no less.  Talk about out of touch. 

It really does seem that the players have it in their minds that they deserve substantial increases.  They deserve increases but this is the first time how long that the league is in a position to be financially stable across the board and to finally invest in core league initiatives.  Players want to be "partners"?  Act like it.

To me, this is all on Laird & Molstad. He is the CFLPA legal counsel & has been involved as a player & then as a lawyer since 1974. If I'm angry at anyone, it's Molstad. If I had a dart board with his picture, I'd be chucking darts at him. What kind of stupid advice is this tool giving the CFLPA?

THE pa moving on from revenue sharing is a good sign, maybe not all is lost, very reminiscent here of the last few days of the NHL talks when they came to a deal, bunch of media people going on about how there is no deal and doesn't seem close but then little bits of info like the players in this case backing away from revenue sharing is coming out and it makes you wonder if they are indeed closer than what the media is leading us to believe. 

Heck, i think even a couple hours b4 the nhl and the pa reached a deal the media guys were like the season will be cancelled. So really... what do they know? lol

More than any of us but... probably not as much as they think.

TSN ran a story on its website saying talks arent going well and they aren't close, i read it and i guess they based that on jim hopson giving a thumb up and a thumb down.

Cuz there were no real facts to support that it wasn't going well.

5.5 million cap i think gets it done, said that all along too. maybe with 100,000 dollar increments each year of the deal... maybe, im not sold on a 100,000 increase each year though. Cuz at the end the cap would be over 6 and i dont think that will work.

anyone see the don landry tweet on the side? what the heck is the PRC?

"cflpa: we eagerly await the response of the PRC, we hope a deal can be reached today. "

Player Relations Commite? Players ******** Cousins? what the heck is PRC.

CFL offer now coming out, 5 million cap this year, 50 k increases each year to 5.25 million, raise of the minimum salary to 55 k. 

That don't seem to bad, not just raise the cap this year to 5.25 million and then go from there with the 50k increases per year and you should have a deal.

Then throw the players a bone and offer them 5k signing bonus's on day 1 of the regular season.