Burke Comments

He absolutely did NOT get first downs when we needed them, or else we would have had more wins.

People seem to have this skewed memory of Elliott in which he was a star that drove up and down the field all day, when nothing could be further from the truth.  He was given great field position time and time again and coughed up the ball or stalled drives and caused us to go for field goals.  People's hate of Pierce is causing them to build Elliott up into some kind of star when he was actually nothing more than slightly below average.

Also love how everyone talks about all his "easily correctable" flaws like they actually have a clue how easy it is to coach up a QB.

We should have won that home game against BC last year, that we lost on the last play of the game to a FG.  I know Lapo takes part of the blame for his conservative vanilla play-calling, but Elliott should have delivered that game.  He had multiple chances to put it in the endzone and didn't. 

We should have won that home game against BC last year, that we lost on the last play of the game to a FG.  I know Lapo takes part of the blame for his conservative vanilla play-calling, but Elliott should have delivered that game.  He had multiple chances to put it in the endzone and didn't. 

Exactly, and that's the whole point.  If Elliott manages to put the ball in the endzone even once, there are no opportunities for bad coaching decisions or defensive breakdowns because he put the points on the board and won the game.  But it just didn't happen.

I just love how the Elliott boosters' main argument is that he was great at moving the ball until he got into the redzone, like that is something to be proud of.  And then they put on their coaching hats and tell us how easy it is to fix.

There's a lot more logic behind that opinion than anything you've been spewing.

No there isn't. your suggestion that 2nd and 3rd is the same thing is wrong. your logic is flawed. If Buano though Elliott was the best chance to win a game coming off the bench he'd be the one coming off the bench. The fact that he isn't means Buanno doesn't think he's good enough. You know better though right?

I just love how the Elliott boosters' main argument is that he was great at moving the ball until he got into the redzone, like that is something to be proud of.  And then they put on their coaching hats and tell us how easy it is to fix.

because neither brink or pierce (the other qbs who have got significant playing time lately) have been able to even do that much! With Pierce it's 2 and outs all game save for a couple drives! That's how low the bar is set here! 

He absolutely did NOT get first downs when we needed them, or else we would have had more wins.

People seem to have this skewed memory of Elliott in which he was a star that drove up and down the field all day, when nothing could be further from the truth.  He was given great field position time and time again and coughed up the ball or stalled drives and caused us to go for field goals.  People's hate of Pierce is causing them to build Elliott up into some kind of star when he was actually nothing more than slightly below average.

Also love how everyone talks about all his "easily correctable" flaws like they actually have a clue how easy it is to coach up a QB.

Jeez. Okay, I'm not a coach, you got me. Let's at least go with 'correctable' flaws. To be more specific I was referring to trying to force the ball in the redzone like his life was depending on a passing TD, as we saw in his 4 INT game against Calgary. And then it looked like he was just trying to be a hero in a close game, and otherwise had some real success til he reached the redzone. Maybe a young QB in what, his tenth start.. a bit overeager to make the big play when there are safer options? Is it wrong to thing that sort of thing can be corrected through coaching and experience? You can't coach a guy to be taller or faster, but you can coach him to play smarter... 

All I'm sure is with my untrained eye I saw that there was talent there, I figure he just needed more experience and first team reps and all that good stuff. I've watched the same games as you, and I saw Joey drive up and down the field. He moved around in the pocket and kept his eyes down field. He could make quick decisions. He moved the ball, and that's something we need a lot more of now.

Oh, and he showed a lot of moxy too.

because neither brink or pierce (the other qbs who have got significant playing time lately) have been able to even do that much! With Pierce it's 2 and outs all game save for a couple drives! That's how low the bar is set here! 

Third most passing yards in the league

I remember our back-to-back picks from Washington and Bowman that gave us great field position both times.  I can't remember the touchdowns that ensued from those however...

I do enjoy statistics. Let's hope Bucks have a change in trend.

No point in pining over Elliott now, he's long gone and won't be coming back. I just really wanted to move on from Buck after 2012, and I thought Elliott was going to be the one who helped us do it. Maybe it will be Goltz or Hall. Literally nobody knows.

I do enjoy statistics. Let's hope Bucks have a change in trend.

No point in pining over Elliott now, he's long gone and won't be coming back. I just really wanted to move on from Buck after 2012, and I thought Elliott was going to be the one who helped us do it. Maybe it will be Goltz or Hall. Literally nobody knows.

yeah that was my original point too.  Why are we still talking about Elliott?  Why don't we keep pining over Mike Quinn and Stephan Lefors too while we are at it.

yeah that was my original point too.  Why are we still talking about Elliott? 

But. But. Wally grabbed him so he must be the best QB ever!!!!!!

He was going nowhere here. Even if Wally can make a good QB out of him (which I doubt), the Bombers couldn't and he (and Brink) needed to go. The fact that the replacements are unproven and Buck is a china doll doesn't really change that. The problem is the Bombers "system" has too many backups in the same early stage of development so when the don't show promise, the slate is wiped clean and we start over. Hopefully one of these three stands out but I don't think this is our year at all.

Third most passing yards in the league

and that means what? he's got the worst completion percentage outside reilly, if tate hadn't got hurt and glenn took over he'd be farther down the list in passing yardage, he has the most ints in the league, he's got a bottom 2 efficiency rating... Calvillo has less yards and we all know how much the als offense has sucked... Pierce has been absolutely terrible and there is no way to dispute that. 

and that means what? he's got the worst completion percentage outside reilly, if tate hadn't got hurt and glenn took over he'd be farther down the list in passing yardage, he has the most ints in the league, he's got a bottom 2 efficiency rating... Calvillo has less yards and we all know how much the als offense has sucked... Pierce has been absolutely terrible and there is no way to dispute that. 

Buck sucks.  Elliott sucks.  Darrell Hackney was our best QB prospect to come through in years.  Other than the fact he was 300 lbs and could barely move, not sure why he wasn't kept by Kelly.

Wait are you talking about Pierce this year or Elliott last year, hard to tell

well considering eliott did not have the most ints it shouldn't be that hard. I'm not saying it was a high bar, I'm just saying that Elliott set the bar and Pierce hasn't reached that level.

Not true.  Elliott drove the ball into FG range (inside the 30 for Palardy).  On 2nd and 7 with about 30 seconds left, Lapolice called a QB draw to setup the FG, tying the game but giving BC the ball and the wind with enough time to run two plays from their 35, which they did to put themselves in FG range to win.  Classic playing not to lose instead of playing to win which put the nail in Lapo's coffin.

Not true.  Elliott drove the ball into FG range (inside the 30 for Palardy).  On 2nd and 7 with about 30 seconds left, Lapolice called a QB draw to setup the FG, tying the game but giving BC the ball and the wind with enough time to run two plays from their 35, which they did to put themselves in FG range to win.  Classic playing not to lose instead of playing to win which put the nail in Lapo's coffin.

as I said I blamed Lapo for some of it, but it wasn't just that last drive.  We had plenty of opportunities to put that game away and Elliott and the offence blew it. 

Sorry, Pierce gets zero credit for our last win, he is lucky we won that.

61.3%, 250+ yards, and a couple TD drives of 60+ yards each.

That is good enough QB'ing to win with a good defence, which is all we need.  More than we ever got from Elliott, that's for sure.

61.3%, 250+ yards, and a couple TD drives of 60+ yards each.

That is good enough QB'ing to win with a good defence, which is all we need.  More than we ever got from Elliott, that's for sure.

well no in fact, that is quite incorrect. If you want to use just one game as the comparison then We got some very high points. 250 yards is not a good game by a qb by any stretch, it's adequate only if your runningback has picked up tons of yards or your defense is insanely good. 

The best single games by a bomber qb in the last few years came from Elliott, on average he was better than PIerce last season as well.