2014 CFL Draft blog

Mike

I hope not.... I don't want to pick a guy just because he plays a position we need at the moment if Walters and Co aren't that high on him. I'd personally love Smith. Get him down to 290 and he'd be a great rotational NI for us on defence, who could fill in on O-line if there was a rash of injuries.

If Watman is actually available I'd try and grab him post draft. Reason being that I like the ceiling of Lavertu more than Watman, and I wouldn't want to get rid of number 2 before we even had a shot at him.(I also like Smith just as much as Lavertu, But Lavertu really fills a giant gaping hole we have at center)

Did Walters make a mistake trading the 2nd round pick for Neufeld?  If we had that pick we could have picked Quinn Smith and still have been in play for Goossen.

When Walters made that trade he claimed that he wasn't worried about tradding that 2nd round pick because of the lack of depth in the draft. 

However in his most recent "draft preperations" press conference he made the statement that it was not likely that he would be able to trade up to the second round because most teams, based on the depth of this draft, will not want to move out of the second round. So it seems that he may have misscalculated the value of the 2nd round.

This leads to my second question.

Why would the Bombers fly in Goossen for a work out?

The reality is they are not going to see much in a private work out anyways, because no one wants to risk any kind of injury. So how much do they really get out of flying him in for a private work out?  (How much more can they get from a private work out then they did from the combine?) I would say very little.

They're not going to get him in the 3rd round, so I am assuming that they are trying to figure out if they can reach for him with the second overall pick.

By bringing in Goossen and basically stating out right that they are wanting to pick a center in the draft, he has given up any leverage at all in any kind of trade that could have been made to move back a few spots.  I don't know...am I over thinking things...?

This is making me nervous.  I am starting to wonder if Walters is in over his head. 

If Neufeld starts at tackle, that's worth the second round pick... 

Most definitely.

Do you think he is good enough to start at tackle though? I am sceptical.

I thought he played well in Sask at RT... and terrible at RG.

But, that was before the injury so we'll see.

Did Walters make a mistake trading the 2nd round pick for Newman?  If we had that pick we could have picked Quinn Smith and still have been in play for Goossen.

When Walters made that trade he claimed that he wasn't worried about tradding that 2nd round pick because of the lack of depth in the draft. 

Hypothetically let's say we pick Smith at #2 and Goosen is there at #11, the question then becomes is Neufeld better than Goosen?.... Walters believes he is and that's the justification for the trade....

Does anybody know more about Tkassakid (??) Player?.... From what I've read about him I'm wondering if he is even considering a CFL career.... seems like he has pretty deep roots in Texas now and may be looking to start a "regular" career there...

Did Walters make a mistake trading the 2nd round pick for Newman?  If we had that pick we could have picked Quinn Smith and still have been in play for Goossen.

However in his most recent "draft preperations" press conference he made the statement that it was not likely that he would be able to trade up to the second round because most teams, based on the depth of this draft, will not want to move out of the second round. So it seems that he may have misscalculated the value of the 2nd round.

The reality is they are not going to see much in a private work out anyways, because no one wants to risk any kind of injury. So how much do they really get out of flying him in for a private work out?  (How much more can they get from a private work out then they did from the combine?) I would say very little.

They're not going to get him in the 3rd round, so I am assuming that they are trying to figure out if they can reach for him with the second overall pick.

By bringing in Goossen and basically stating out right that they are wanting to pick a center in the draft, he has given up any leverage at all in any kind of trade that could have been made to move back a few spots.  I don't know...am I over thinking things...?

This is making me nervous.  I am starting to wonder if Walters is in over his head. 

I think there's a lot of misconceptions about what a private workout entails. They're going to go over his stance, they're going to go over his footwork and they're going to get him up on the whiteboard to see how he calls protection for their scheme. They're not going to have him line up against Zach Anderson and take reps.

At the combine, you get 15 minutes to speak to a guy. In a private workout, you get what, 4 or 6 hours? You can learn a LOT.

But that's the thing, I highly doubt Smith makes it to that point.

I can see Walter's reasoning in using that pick to secure a potential OL upgrade, especially one who has experience.

Is Neufeld an upgrade over that pick, in this year's draft?

I suppose, on the surface, it must be considered so…right up to the point of it being proven otherwise.

Still a gamble either way.

Most definitely.

I guess I am unfairly basing my skepticism on some of the opinions of my Rider friends.  (Having Rider friends is my first problem…I know.)

I haven’t actually seen him play myself, so the nervousness about Walters abilities may not be fair, it’s just that I have had more than one person tell me that Neufeld wasn’t that great. Maybe they were referring to when he played at RG.

I think there's a lot of misconceptions about what a private workout entails. They're going to go over his stance, they're going to go over his footwork and they're going to get him up on the whiteboard to see how he calls protection for their scheme. They're not going to have him line up against Zach Anderson and take reps.

At the combine, you get 15 minutes to speak to a guy. In a private workout, you get what, 4 or 6 hours? You can learn a LOT.

That's fair.  I did not think about the "whiteboard" aspect of the work out.

I know that they were not going to line him up against Zach Anderson, I just figured for things like footwork, stance and strength at the point of attack, they would know everything they need to know from game film and the combine.  They are not going to learn anything new about those aspects of his game in a private workout.

You are right though, they could learn quite a bit about what's between his ears in terms of football smarts and in terms of what kind of person he is. But if they are at that stage, where they want to know what's between his ears then it would seem that they are very much considering him for the 2nd overall pick.

So if you follow my logic, which is admittedly based on speculation, picking Goossen at #2 is a reach.  If they wanted Goossen they could have traded back a few spots and got him while adding another asset.  But now that everyone knows who Walters wants it will be harder for him to make a trade because they know if they don’t do anything then Walters will just pick Goossen at #2.  He telegraphed his play, so to speak. 

Again, maybe I haven’t had enough sleep and I am over thinking things.  Who knows…

I am excited to see how this draft unfolds.

Most definitely.

I guess I am unfairly basing my skepticism on some of the opinions of my Rider friends.  (Having Rider friends is my first problem…I know.)

I haven’t actually seen him play myself, so the nervousness about Walters abilities may not be fair, it’s just that I have had more than one person tell me that Newman wasn’t that great. Maybe they were referring to when he played at RG.

Newman is not an OL. Hes is a DB.

You might be referring to Neufeld.

Most definitely.

I haven’t actually seen him play myself, so the nervousness about Walters abilities may not be fair, it’s just that I have had more than one person tell me that Neufeld wasn’t that great. Maybe they were referring to when he played at RG.

Who do you think is a better evaluator of talent, Rider fans (who typically dump on a player as soon as he's no longer a rider) or more than one CFL general manager?

PS I changed it to Neufeld cuz I'm assuming that's who you're talking about...

Most definitely.

I haven’t actually seen him play myself, so the nervousness about Walters abilities may not be fair, it’s just that I have had more than one person tell me that Newman wasn’t that great. Maybe they were referring to when he played at RG.

Newman is not an OL. Hes is a DB.

You might be referring to Neufeld.

...AH CRAP! Well, now I feel like a jerk.

Who do you think is a better evaluator of talent, Rider fans (who typically dump on a player as soon as he's no longer a rider) or more than one CFL general manager?

PS I changed it to Neufeld cuz I'm assuming that's who you're talking about...

Rider fans... ;)

http://cfl.ca/page/justin-dunks-2014-cfl-mock-draft-v10

Dunk's new draft...  makes a lot of sense - except I think we pick Player instead of another DB...  and I think Buono picks a kicker in the 2nd round

I totally agree that BC goes for Pruneau and Sask for Briggs.  Foucalt might drop to late first round.

Still cheering for Coombs.

http://cfl.ca/page/justin-dunks-2014-cfl-mock-draft-v10

Dunk's new draft...  makes a lot of sense - except I think we pick Player instead of another DB...  and I think Buono picks a kicker in the 2nd round

I totally agree that BC goes for Pruneau and Sask for Briggs.  Foucalt might drop to late first round.

Still cheering for Coombs.

"The Bombers lost starting centre Justin Sorenson in free agency, so Goossen fills a need. He’s not on the same level as Lavertu mentally, but physically he is ready to play." - Justin Dunk

That’s an interesting comment by Dunk, being that it was something that was being discussed yesterday in this thread. It kind of lends credence to why the Bombers would have brought Goossen in for a closer look. They needed to see if he had enough of an aptitude on the whiteboard. (Again it’s an aspect that I did not think of that was pointed out to me.)

I still wonder though if Goossen is a guy that could be picked up further down the draft. Is he not a little bit of a reach at #2?

If Hamilton was impressed enough with Quinn Smith, they could swap their first round pick with the Bombers and maybe they would be willing to give up one of their two 2nd round picks.  (Possibly their 17th overall pick.)

So did  any CFL draft eligible players get drafted this weekend in the NFL?   I haven't seen anything written about it but then again I wasn't following it that closely. 

I guess there's also a possibility that some NFL team could still sign a couple of guys as free agents.