Is Glenn only as good as the team around him? Brown thinks so ...

IC Khari

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/glenn-only-as-good-as-team-around-him-249390601.html

Kind of an off handed diss although the stats tend to prove what he is implying, that Glenn benefited from a good team around him the last few seasons and overall isn't as good as he looked in Calgary. Is he worth the risk of giving up anything of value for, even though he's a somewhat proven vet? We'll see if the Bombers think so.

I definitely agree with Brown that Glenn won't be as good as he was with a star-studded cast in Calgary, but I think most of us expect that.  We're not exactly unaware of how bad our team is right now, and for us to expect Glenn to come in and put up some of the numbers he has recently is completely unrealistic.

Even Ricky Ray or Prime Anthony Calvillo would have trouble putting up decent numbers when they're constantly on the run while trying to find a rare open receiver.

I definitely agree with Brown that Glenn won't be as good as he was with a star-studded cast in Calgary, but I think most of us expect that.  We're not exactly unaware of how bad our team is right now, and for us to expect Glenn to come in and put up some of the numbers he has recently is completely unrealistic.

Even Ricky Ray or Prime Anthony Calvillo would have trouble putting up decent numbers when they're constantly on the run while trying to find a rare open receiver.

Agreed.  I'd like him to come here and start, if only to help teach Willy for the first year.  But if we don't get him, I don't think it will be a big deal.  Although, if we did get him, and put him as our QB2, we'd have a seriously good backup to Willy.  Any of the above options are good to me.  As long as we have a clear cut QB1 and QB2 and not flip flop between 2.

I suspect we'll start the season with Willy as our #1 guy and a decent, proven safety net behind him in Glenn.  The best part about Glenn is that he's a proven commodity, and while he may not be a world-beater we know what to expect with him behind centre.  The dice-rolls in Elliott, Brink, Goltz, etc weren't great to helping us determine what our problems were and with Glenn we'll be able to rule a few unknowns/X-factors out right away.

Agreed.  I'd like him to come here and start, if only to help teach Willy for the first year.  But if we don't get him, I don't think it will be a big deal.  Although, if we did get him, and put him as our QB2, we'd have a seriously good backup to Willy.  Any of the above options are good to me.  As long as we have a clear cut QB1 and QB2 and not flip flop between 2.

I'd like to know exactly what it is that you think Glenn will teach Willy....

I liked Calgary's strategy of elevating a young QB into a starting role, with an experienced, veteran backup behind him.  I think there's something to Tate and Mitchell's success that involves Glenn being a more than competent backup plan if they were to fail, that makes it easier for them to succeed.  Acknowledge that coaching was a big part of it, but also think that mentally, there's a lot less weight on you in that situation, that makes it easier for you to play loose.

I really hope we get to use this strategy.

We're used to having a mediocre backup-worthy QB start and a REALLY bad QB back him up.  When you cycle through all three QBs on your roster (And then additional QBs later in the season) you don't get any closer to finding out what needs to be fixed.

With Glenn either starting or on the bench, we at least have a tried and true, seasoned vet available.  Granted, he doesn't like the cold and doesn't like to get hit so we might not see too much of him, but at least we get the summer games to enjoy.

That's what some people have been saying about Glenn for years. He's not the guy to put a team on his shoulders and lift them up on his own, but he's a guy who if he's surrounded by good players he fits in. That's the whole reason a bunch of people wanted to run him out of town the first time, because he couldn't make people better than they are. 

Considering he's been in the league for almost 14 years and a fairly successful QB for about 8-9 of those years...I'd say a lot.

We're used to having a mediocre backup-worthy QB start and a REALLY bad QB back him up.  When you cycle through all three QBs on your roster (And then additional QBs later in the season) you don't get any closer to finding out what needs to be fixed.

With Glenn either starting or on the bench, we at least have a tried and true, seasoned vet available.  Granted, he doesn't like the cold and doesn't like to get hit so we might not see too much of him, but at least we get the summer games to enjoy.

This is the most ridiculous and over-used cliché to describe a QB.... has there ever been a QB in football history that likes getting hit and plays better when he's getting beat up?

Doug Brown basically just states what everyone already knows.... of course this applies to all QBs, I bet Max Hall would be a pretty decent starter playing for Calgary too.... And I haven't heard one single person say that matching the ridiculous price Desjardins set is a good idea.... other than the anti-Glenn contingent, it seems the general consensus is if we can get him for cheap and he accepts the role on the team's terms he would be an excellent addition to the team... otherwise not worth it

Considering he's been in the league for almost 14 years and a fairly successful QB for about 8-9 of those years...I'd say a lot.

and specifically that is? More than Khari taught him in Sask?

Glenn is definitely an upgrade over Hall no questions asked and *if* they can dump Muamba and pick him up with that salary then its a fantastic move.

Our future qbs are Brohm and Willy...we dont need a third... We need a vet backup who can come in and win a game and pass wisdom off to the other guys.

and specifically that is? More than Khari taught him in Sask?

Are you that ridiculous that you're asking me such a stupid question?  You want me to tell you what specifically one QB is going to teach another one?  He's going to teach him how to dance that's what he's going to do.   :rolleyes:   Seriously, he'd teach him what he knows, that's what he'd teach him.  Just like any other QB.  If you think Glenn has nothing to teach anyone, you're out to lunch.  A good player can always learn something from someone else, whether it be to run, dodge incoming hits, throw, read defenses, etc...

Plus, you're picking one small part of what I said above.

All this talk of bringing Glenn in only if he's a backup makes me laugh.  Willy is our starting QB right now.  If we bring Glenn in, that's likely to change because Glenn is a better QB right now than Willy is.  You need to start your best players, not have them sit on the bench 'coaching' a young guy.  We already have a QB coach for that with Buck to back him up. 

Right now we are at the same place we were when Kelly was coaching.  We got another teams inexperienced backup QB and named him as our starting QB.  As every year since we fired Glenn shows us, the chances of that working out are pretty slim.  What makes everyone think this years inexperienced QB is the one we have been looking for but haven't found for the last decade?

All this talk of bringing Glenn in only if he's a backup makes me laugh. Willy is our starting QB right now. If we bring Glenn in, that's likely to change because Glenn is a better QB right now than Willy is. You need to start your best players, not have them sit on the bench 'coaching' a young guy. We already have a QB coach for that with Buck to back him up.

Right now we are at the same place we were when Kelly was coaching. We got another teams inexperienced backup QB and named him as our starting QB. As every year since we fired Glenn shows us, the chances of that working out are pretty slim. What makes everyone think this years inexperienced QB is the one we have been looking for but haven't found for the last decade?

Its called veteran insurance in case plan A doesn't work out.

Your plan has failed us the last three years...we can't suffer any more poor qb play when this team doesn't have the talent to overcome this.

We've already committed to Willy as our starter.  I don't see how Glenn would accept a backup role here, or anywhere else for that matter.

then he's going to have to sign with the Halifax Schooners if he wants a starting job. Everywhere else is full up.

I should probably know this living close to Edmonton, but I'm not sure if Chris Jones has annointed Reilly as their #1 QB  . . .

All this talk of bringing Glenn in only if he's a backup makes me laugh. Willy is our starting QB right now. If we bring Glenn in, that's likely to change because Glenn is a better QB right now than Willy is. You need to start your best players, not have them sit on the bench 'coaching' a young guy. We already have a QB coach for that with Buck to back him up.

Right now we are at the same place we were when Kelly was coaching. We got another teams inexperienced backup QB and named him as our starting QB. As every year since we fired Glenn shows us, the chances of that working out are pretty slim. What makes everyone think this years inexperienced QB is the one we have been looking for but haven't found for the last decade?

Its called veteran insurance in case plan A doesn't work out.

Your plan has failed us the last three years...we can't suffer any more poor qb play when this team doesn't have the talent to overcome this.

My plan didn't fail us.  Mack's plan did.  Don't you remember any of Jyles, Brink, Elliott, Goltz, Hall and others?  Buck was the only experienced QB we had and he wasn't able to stay healthy enough to play.  The rest are 'coulda woulda been's'.  BTW: For the record, like a lot of others, I thought we should have kept Elliott and gotten rid of Buck in the last off season and I wished we'd have traded for Glenn.

All this talk of bringing Glenn in only if he's a backup makes me laugh.  Willy is our starting QB right now.  If we bring Glenn in, that's likely to change because Glenn is a better QB right now than Willy is.  You need to start your best players, not have them sit on the bench 'coaching' a young guy.  We already have a QB coach for that with Buck to back him up. 

Right now we are at the same place we were when Kelly was coaching.  We got another teams inexperienced backup QB and named him as our starting QB.  As every year since we fired Glenn shows us, the chances of that working out are pretty slim.  What makes everyone think this years inexperienced QB is the one we have been looking for but haven't found for the last decade?

So Calgary goes and gives the league a successful example of elevating a young starter with upside, and teaming him with an experienced, good-but-not-great backup... and TBurgess from the confines of his cozy British Columbia abode thinks that it is laughable to suggest that might work in Winnipeg?

Calgary's been arguably the most successful team in the CFL since signing Kevin Glenn as its experienced, good-but-not-great, backup quarterback.  Why wouldn't we try it, if the price were right?