Is Glenn only as good as the team around him? Brown thinks so ...

IC Khari

Right now we have no safety net.. I would think that we would all know by now that having a safety net is a good idea. 

If willy fails, then its on Hall / Broughm?  and if they fail? we write off the season mid august like last year, and say things will be better next year.

5th season since Berry was fired and Glenn was Cut..   And we are still trying to do the same thing?  I like to think this management team knows what they are doing.. but i thought that about the last management team, and the one before that.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.. If you take that approach you bring in Glenn if you can incase things go really bad.  If things go well you have a vet Backup QB.

All this talk of bringing Glenn in only if he's a backup makes me laugh.  Willy is our starting QB right now.  If we bring Glenn in, that's likely to change because Glenn is a better QB right now than Willy is.  You need to start your best players, not have them sit on the bench 'coaching' a young guy.  We already have a QB coach for that with Buck to back him up. 

Right now we are at the same place we were when Kelly was coaching.  We got another teams inexperienced backup QB and named him as our starting QB.  As every year since we fired Glenn shows us, the chances of that working out are pretty slim.  What makes everyone think this years inexperienced QB is the one we have been looking for but haven't found for the last decade?

So Calgary goes and gives the league a successful example of elevating a young starter with upside, and teaming him with an experienced, good-but-not-great backup... and TBurgess from the confines of his cozy British Columbia abode thinks that it is laughable to suggest that might work in Winnipeg?

Calgary's been arguably the most successful team in the CFL since signing Kevin Glenn as its experienced, good-but-not-great, backup quarterback.  Why wouldn't we try it, if the price were right?

I wouldn't compare Willy with Tate just yet, Tate got to play a fair bit before they traded Burris did he not? Safe to say Calgary had a better idea what Tate was capable of with their team. 

Tell Brown to look in the mirror at his ego inflated sorry ass. What player isn't better with a quality supporting cast? What a ridiculous statement? If Glenn hadn't broken his arm in the Eastern Final Brown long and storied career would have been graced with winning a GC. Sorry Dougie maybe you too weren't as great as you seem to think you were and still are.

All this talk of bringing Glenn in only if he's a backup makes me laugh.  Willy is our starting QB right now.  If we bring Glenn in, that's likely to change because Glenn is a better QB right now than Willy is.  You need to start your best players, not have them sit on the bench 'coaching' a young guy.  We already have a QB coach for that with Buck to back him up. 

Right now we are at the same place we were when Kelly was coaching.  We got another teams inexperienced backup QB and named him as our starting QB.  As every year since we fired Glenn shows us, the chances of that working out are pretty slim.  What makes everyone think this years inexperienced QB is the one we have been looking for but haven't found for the last decade?

So Calgary goes and gives the league a successful example of elevating a young starter with upside, and teaming him with an experienced, good-but-not-great backup... and TBurgess from the confines of his cozy British Columbia abode thinks that it is laughable to suggest that might work in Winnipeg?

Calgary's been arguably the most successful team in the CFL since signing Kevin Glenn as its experienced, good-but-not-great, backup quarterback.  Why wouldn't we try it, if the price were right?

I wouldn't compare Willy with Tate just yet, Tate got to play a fair bit before they traded Burris did he not? Safe to say Calgary had a better idea what Tate was capable of with their team. 

Willy has played quite a bit more than Tate prior to Burris being traded.

Let me ask the question again.  What makes folks think that Willy is the QB we have been looking for, because I don't see it.  I could see it if we were talking about Reilly, Collaros or Smith, but Willy?

Even from the 'Best Coast' I can see that what makes sense in Calgary, doesn't necessarily make sense in Winnipeg.  Calgary has Tate who is good enough to start when he isn't injured and BLM who most think is the next big thing, so Glenn in a backup role makes sense.  We have Willy with 2(?) starts behind a significantly better O line than we have and Hall, our most experienced QB who no one is saying is going to be the next big thing, so Glenn in a backup role doesn't make sense to me.

I definitely agree with Brown that Glenn won't be as good as he was with a star-studded cast in Calgary, but I think most of us expect that.  We're not exactly unaware of how bad our team is right now, and for us to expect Glenn to come in and put up some of the numbers he has recently is completely unrealistic.

Even Ricky Ray or Prime Anthony Calvillo would have trouble putting up decent numbers when they're constantly on the run while trying to find a rare open receiver.

Agreed.  I'd like him to come here and start, if only to help teach Willy for the first year.  But if we don't get him, I don't think it will be a big deal.  Although, if we did get him, and put him as our QB2, we'd have a seriously good backup to Willy.  Any of the above options are good to me.  As long as we have a clear cut QB1 and QB2 and not flip flop between 2.

I'd like to know exactly what it is that you think Glenn will teach Willy....

Considering he's been in the league for almost 14 years and a fairly successful QB for about 8-9 of those years...I'd say a lot.

and specifically that is? More than Khari taught him in Sask?

Are you that ridiculous that you're asking me such a stupid question?  You want me to tell you what specifically one QB is going to teach another one?  He's going to teach him how to dance that's what he's going to do.   :rolleyes:   Seriously, he'd teach him what he knows, that's what he'd teach him.  Just like any other QB.  If you think Glenn has nothing to teach anyone, you're out to lunch.  A good player can always learn something from someone else, whether it be to run, dodge incoming hits, throw, read defenses, etc...

Plus, you're picking one small part of what I said above.

Well you were the one who said Glenn can teach him...I just asked you what specifically! You are using it as one of the arguments for getting Glenn..I disagree...You're the one with you're panties in a knot! Obvious you don't have the answers!

I definitely agree with Brown that Glenn won't be as good as he was with a star-studded cast in Calgary, but I think most of us expect that.  We're not exactly unaware of how bad our team is right now, and for us to expect Glenn to come in and put up some of the numbers he has recently is completely unrealistic.

Even Ricky Ray or Prime Anthony Calvillo would have trouble putting up decent numbers when they're constantly on the run while trying to find a rare open receiver.

Agreed.  I'd like him to come here and start, if only to help teach Willy for the first year.  But if we don't get him, I don't think it will be a big deal.  Although, if we did get him, and put him as our QB2, we'd have a seriously good backup to Willy.  Any of the above options are good to me.  As long as we have a clear cut QB1 and QB2 and not flip flop between 2.

Considering he's been in the league for almost 14 years and a fairly successful QB for about 8-9 of those years...I'd say a lot.

Are you that ridiculous that you're asking me such a stupid question?  You want me to tell you what specifically one QB is going to teach another one?  He's going to teach him how to dance that's what he's going to do.   :rolleyes:   Seriously, he'd teach him what he knows, that's what he'd teach him.  Just like any other QB.  If you think Glenn has nothing to teach anyone, you're out to lunch.  A good player can always learn something from someone else, whether it be to run, dodge incoming hits, throw, read defenses, etc...

Well you were the one who said Glenn can teach him...I just asked you what specifically! You are using it as one of the arguments for getting Glenn..I disagree...You're the one with you're panties in a knot! Obvious you don't have the answers!

I gave you the answers.  It's like you asking, "what's the QB coach going to teach Willy?".  So basically you're just a troll.  And I'm now going to stop feeding you.

I don't think the issue is what he can teach, the assumption I have is he has a wealth of knowledge on how to be a successful QB in this league. The issue I'm uncertain about is his level of ability to teach, to mentor, to coach others not to mention if he has any desire to.    

Let me ask the question again.  What makes folks think that Willy is the QB we have been looking for, because I don't see it.  I could see it if we were talking about Reilly, Collaros or Smith, but Willy?

Even from the 'Best Coast' I can see that what makes sense in Calgary, doesn't necessarily make sense in Winnipeg.  Calgary has Tate who is good enough to start when he isn't injured and BLM who most think is the next big thing, so Glenn in a backup role makes sense.  We have Willy with 2(?) starts behind a significantly better O line than we have and Hall, our most experienced QB who no one is saying is going to be the next big thing, so Glenn in a backup role doesn't make sense to me.

I'm just not seeing in what world having Kevin Glenn (an experienced, good-but-not-great) as backup QB, is worse than having Max Hall (a less experienced, okay-but-not-good, with a low ceiling) as backup QB?  The logic is evading me. 

If what you're saying is that it would be very tempting for O'Shea to turn from Willy to Glenn at the first sign of trouble... we've got more problems than just at the QB position.

I don't think anyone is clairvoyant enough to say that Willy is the QB we have been looking for yet.  I think that by giving him an experienced backup, that the pressure on him to succeed could be somewhat eased, which may help him develop. 

BTW... None of Collaros, Reilly, or Smith are necessarily that QB either.  All 3 come with big question marks.  Honestly... it's new blood to our organization that has enjoyed some success in the CFL.  Give the dude the benefit of at least one snap before condemning him.

D Brown states that "Glenn is as good as the team and scheme around him, and at this point, no one is expecting the 2014 Bombers to be as good as either of the last two Stampeder teams Glenn has played for."

It's hard to argue with that.

He also states "At their current level of development, Kevin Glenn is an upgrade over every single quarterback on the Winnipeg Blue Bomber roster, but he is not the pivot this team should move forward with."

The important part of that last statement is the 2nd half and where some posters are torn.

Message - get Glenn, cheap, install as 2nd string, move forward.

Would Glenn accept that?

Battling with BC to get him - 2 way walking race but we never seem to win interest-between-two-teams battles, with an extra caveat. Glenn's history here.

So….where's the likely choice for Glenn?

Obviously there's a level of interest in acquiring Glenn, from sea level up to west coast mountain level but the prairie level of interest at IGF is what counts, and from what I can gather, the interest remains at Glenn as a back up to Willy, the pivot we should be moving forward with.

With a different team though, that's a pretty significant part of it. 

No Willy hasn't. Tate took over the starter's job for the Stamps for their last 4 regular season games and the playoffs. Burris being benched for Tate was the reason he was traded.

No Willy hasn't. Tate took over the starter's job for the Stamps for their last 4 regular season games and the playoffs. Burris being benched for Tate was the reason he was traded.

Both had three starts and Tate had about 90 more pass attempts.

Very similar stats between the both of them.

A very interesting stat is that Max Hall has seen the field more in his one season then Tate has seen in his last three years combined!!

D Brown states that "Glenn is as good as the team and scheme around him, and at this point, no one is expecting the 2014 Bombers to be as good as either of the last two Stampeder teams Glenn has played for."

It's hard to argue with that.

He also states "At their current level of development, Kevin Glenn is an upgrade over every single quarterback on the Winnipeg Blue Bomber roster, but he is not the pivot this team should move forward with."

The important part of that last statement is the 2nd half and where some posters are torn.

Message - get Glenn, cheap, install as 2nd string, move forward.

Would Glenn accept that?

Battling with BC to get him - 2 way walking race but we never seem to win interest-between-two-teams battles, with an extra caveat. Glenn's history here.

So….where's the likely choice for Glenn?

Obviously there's a level of interest in acquiring Glenn, from sea level up to west coast mountain level but the prairie level of interest at IGF is what counts, and from what I can gather, the interest remains at Glenn as a back up to Willy, the pivot we should be moving forward with.

Glenn doesn't really have a choice in where he's traded.  Desjardins has that.  Desjardins can choose to keep him and demote him to 3rd stringer to ride pine all year if he wants to.  It wouldn't be above Desjardins to hamstring his payroll on QB's either.

Secondly, Glenn dealt with a very similar situation quite amicably in Calgary. Just because he was drafted to start in Ottawa, and subsequently replaced, doesn't mean he wouldn't accept a backup position elsewhere.

Glenn doesn't really have a choice in where he's traded.  Desjardins has that.  Desjardins can choose to keep him and demote him to 3rd stringer to ride pine all year if he wants to.  It wouldn't be above Desjardins to hamstring his payroll on QB's either.

Secondly, Glenn dealt with a very similar situation quite amicably in Calgary. Just because he was drafted to start in Ottawa, and subsequently replaced, doesn't mean he wouldn't accept a backup position elsewhere.

The point I was making with Glenn, was not that he wouldn't accept the back up role like he had in Calgary, as that would be the Bombers position for him here I would think, but rather how well would Glenn accept the fact of returning to Winnipeg, the place where he got booed and summarily dismissed before getting that roster bonus.

And as far as likely choice, of course Desjardins has the say where Glenn will be shipped to, but don't gloss over the fact that BC only has Joey Elliott (a player who was already cut by them) backing up T Lulay and both BC and Glenn would like it if he was shipped there.

Had I said destination instead of choice, would that have made it easier?

Both teams are eyeing Glenn as their back up but when push comes shove, which team is in the better position to offer something of value? the Bombers or the Lions? 

I think you are all crazy if you think the Bombers would get Glenn and he'd be a backup. He'd still be better than the other qbs on the roster and he would start. The point right now though, is that we have a couple guys who look like they can probably play enough to move forward and Glenn at his age is a stopgap at most so is it worth giving up anything for a guy like that? Take him for cheap but don't pay to get him. Plus there's the whole **** Ottawa for thinking they can outsmart everyone by dumping huge money at Burris. 

The point I was making with Glenn, was not that he wouldn't accept the back up role like he had in Calgary, as that would be the Bombers position for him here I would think, but rather how well would Glenn accept the fact of returning to Winnipeg, the place where he got booed and summarily dismissed before getting that roster bonus.

And as far as likely choice, of course Desjardins has the say where Glenn will be shipped to, but don't gloss over the fact that BC only has Joey Elliott (a player who was already cut by them) backing up T Lulay and both BC and Glenn would like it if he was shipped there.

Both teams are eyeing Glenn as their back up but when push comes shove, which team is in the better position to offer something of value? the Bombers or the Lions? 

Our fickle-ass fans would be the biggest issue... I think Glenn's a reasonable enough guy that he wouldn't hold Mike Kelly's sins against Walters/O'Shea/Miller; 3 entirely new leaders. 

BC does have greater resources than we do right now to throw at the problem, so if that's what it comes down to, I'm completely fine with booing him as a Lion. 

BTW... a trade to BC would make Toronto and Edmonton the only CFL teams Glenn has not been a part of.  He'd be a modern day Dunigan!

I think you are all crazy if you think the Bombers would get Glenn and he'd be a backup. He'd still be better than the other qbs on the roster and he would start. The point right now though, is that we have a couple guys who look like they can probably play enough to move forward and Glenn at his age is a stopgap at most so is it worth giving up anything for a guy like that? Take him for cheap but don't pay to get him. Plus there's the whole **** Ottawa for thinking they can outsmart everyone by dumping huge money at Burris. 

Well any starting QB is a stop Gap until the next QB out plays the current starter.   With glen being 34 yrs old,  he could be our starter for 4 or 5 more years if someone doesn't out play him.. And if none of our younger QBs can out play him, then they shouldn't really be starting.. I get that QBs will grow quicker with more reps but all the reps in the world are not going to help if they just don't have it in them to be bonafide CFL starters.

We should be going after the best QBs available.. Just like Ottawa did.  If the Bombers think Willy, Hall, Broughm are better then Glenn, then that is their prerogative.  But if they are wrong and Our Qbs **** the bed, then the Bombers are going to be in a world of hurt as the Fan base is already tired of the same old **** and fan support has been waning.  

Our fickle-ass fans would be the biggest issue... I think Glenn's a reasonable enough guy that he wouldn't hold Mike Kelly's sins against Walters/O'Shea/Miller; 3 entirely new leaders. 

BC does have greater resources than we do right now to throw at the problem, so if that's what it comes down to, I'm completely fine with booing him as a Lion. 

BTW... a trade to BC would make Toronto and Edmonton the only CFL teams Glenn has not been a part of.  He'd be a modern day Dunigan!

Technically he has been an Argonaut.  He would actually be missing Edmonton and Montreal.

The more I think about Glenn the more I am starting to have that "been there done that" sort of feeling, and I'm not sure I want the team to get into that. The goal for this team is to get this team to a Grey Cup championship and actually win the thing. We know QB is an important element of that. Glenn may have save for a broken arm, won one in 2007 (we'll never know and Riderfans will argue forever on that), but he sure as heck didn't win one in 2012 or 2013 on a good team. Yes he played well during the regular season but it still makes me wonder if he truly is just good enough to get you into the playoffs and that's all. I am of the opinion now that we need to develop the guys we have (with a better system) and see how it plays out. Ya, I know everyone is going to say that hasn't worked before, why now but what other choice do we have?  Ottawa right now wants too much for Glenn and he wants to start. Those are problems IMO that could hinder the development of the young guys that may develop into the future for this team. If we can get him for nothing and he doesn't mind playing backup that changes things somewhat, why not? As it stands now though, I don't think it's a good idea to bring him in.

Well any starting QB is a stop Gap until the next QB out plays the current starter.   With glen being 34 yrs old,  he could be our starter for 4 or 5 more years if someone doesn't out play him.. And if none of our younger QBs can out play him, then they shouldn't really be starting.. I get that QBs will grow quicker with more reps but all the reps in the world are not going to help if they just don't have it in them to be bonafide CFL starters.

We should be going after the best QBs available.. Just like Ottawa did.  If the Bombers think Willy, Hall, Broughm are better then Glenn, then that is their prerogative.  But if they are wrong and Our Qbs **** the bed, then the Bombers are going to be in a world of hurt as the Fan base is already tired of the same old **** and fan support has been waning.  

No I don't for a second think Glenn can play until he's near 40. He's had too many injuries along the way and too many playoff collapses to last that long as a starter. He doesn't have a lot of time left in his playing career.