Argo released Khalif Mitchell

M.O.A.B.

it's what we do these last few years when a player wants to try his luck down south. i have mixed feelings on this... but Barker has been consistent on this and it seems that players know it and respect it.

can't blame Khalif for wanting to give it one last try for the big money (he's 29). hope he gets a bigass contract down there... but if not, i hope he remembers that we did right by him.

it's what we do these last few years when a player wants to try his luck down south. i have mixed feelings on this... but Barker has been consistent on this and it seems that players know it and respect it.

can't blame Khalif for wanting to give it one last try for the big money (he's 29). hope he gets a bigass contract down there... but if not, i hope he remembers that we did right by him.

I'm sure he will, and that's got to factor in to the decision to let him go in the first place. I don't recall if we let Vega out of his contract a little early, but he came right back to Winnipeg with positive things to say upon his return.

Just makes it tougher for other teams as it set a precedent. Don't like it. 

Barker has always been a supporter of reinstating the NFL window for option year players. I am sure his philosophy is why have a completely disgruntled player that you try and force to come back. I would suggest they agreed if he released him now and he doesn't make the NFL he will resign in a Toronto. The risk being is because the player is technically a free agent he can renege and go elsewhere.

The counter philosophy is Wally's . "I own you, play out your option. Conversely you end up with the Kory Banks scenario.

I'm okay with letting players go into FA after the season ends with the GC. Or prior to Feb 11th. Not with a year left, though. I know Jim disagrees & if he reads this he'd probably put me in my place by email as he knows me & who I am quite well, which is fine. I respect Jim for everything he has done in the CFL & for being a part of 3 different GC winning teams. The man knows football. But as a fan, I don't agree with releasing players with a complete season remaining on their contracts. I don't think it is good for the CFL. All this does is put pressure on other teams when their players come to their GM a year early & say I want out, now. 

The counter philosophy is Wally's . "I own you, play out your option. Conversely you end up with the Kory Banks scenario.

Depends on the player - he has released players early (even a year early) so they can pursue the NFL. Martell Mallett is an example.

I don't see how Korey Banks is relevant to this. He didn't want to be released - he wanted to renegotiate his contract which, according to Lowell Ullrich, had been done every off-season with Banks.

I am wondering if the Argos are a little closer to being sold than we think and Braley is releasing him so he can go back to BC.

Considering the things Mitchell said when he was traded I don't see how anyone could think he would want to go back to BC.

As well, that is not the way Braley, Barker or Buono operates.

I think the only way to continue bringing in great talent from the USA is to make sure they have a clear path to the NFL if they want it.  Sure it sucks when they go, but if they're a good enough player to make the NFL then we should feel lucky we got to watch them a little while before the inevitable happened.  I still feel this way about guys like Jon Ryan, Cam Wake (Even Trestman).

If the CFL were even close in money to the NFL, I would agree that players should play out their contracts.   But seeing the discrepancy in salaries between the two leagues, the short career window of professional football  athletes, and how they risk their bodies for our entertainment, I have no problem with releasing a player early if they have a legit shot at getting on an NFL roster.

While we may lose a few star players every year in this manner, if the CFL is viewed as a viable stepping stone to get a shot at the NFL, then we will attract far more talent then we will lose.  Most of the guys that are in the CFL are fringe NFLers at best.  Let them take their shot at the payday, most eventually come back.

I know the argument is that these guys wouldn't have a shot at the NFL if it weren't for the CFL, their careers would be dead.  But if you owned or ran a company and an employee of yours came up to you and said they had an offer to make 10 times what you are paying them, would you really tell them no?

I'd much rather see the option window back. Having to let guys out of their contracts just bugs me because both parties know what they're getting into when they sign the contract and I hate to see people act like they are entitled to have their contract ended. 

Agreed. Getting rid of the option year window was a big mistake. I find it surprising that the CFL big thinkers thought it was a good idea.

I'd like to see the NFL acknowledge the CFL for what it is, a farm system for them, and start pumping some real bucks into this league so that it can pay guys enough that they don't have to decide between staying at the school they are teaching at or the job stocking shelves instead of playing. I really want to see the CFL players paid more, it always bugs me how they are sacrificing their bodies for such small pay.