Argo released Khalif Mitchell

M.O.A.B.

I'd like to see the NFL acknowledge the CFL for what it is, a farm system for them, and start pumping some real bucks into this league so that it can pay guys enough that they don't have to decide between staying at the school they are teaching at or the job stocking shelves instead of playing. I really want to see the CFL players paid more, it always bugs me how they are sacrificing their bodies for such small pay.

I would like this, for the NFL to have an option to buy out CFL contracts.  At least then teams would get compensated for finding / developing / promoting players.

This will never happen though, because the NFL already limited the signing bonus to these players a team can payout, so it doesn't look like the NFL really wants to go down that road.

If a contract is written with that condition as an agreement (which they are) then sure. Both parties know the rules. Until a player is cut, the team they are under contract to has to pay them anyway.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I feel like there's nothing wrong with Barker doing this because it works as a two-way street that way. Players can be cut at the drop of a hat, but they also get the opportunity to leave whenever they want to explore a better opportunity.

Why have contracts then?

It is one thing releasing a player to go to the NFL. Another to sign him up with your team so he can't go play for another CFL team for the duration of the contract. That is why you have contracts.

If a contract is written with that condition as an agreement (which they are) then sure. Both parties know the rules. Until a player is cut, the team they are under contract to has to pay them anyway.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I feel like there's nothing wrong with Barker doing this because it works as a two-way street that way. Players can be cut at the drop of a hat, but they also get the opportunity to leave whenever they want to explore a better opportunity.

But players that are contributing don't get cut. The ones that aren't good enough do. It's the same with any job. if  you perform at your job & I don't, I get fired. Like I said, I'm all for giving players their release as soon as they have completely fulfilled their contractual obligations. If that is the 1st week of November & the season's over I wouldn't make them wait until Feb 15th. I'll give them 3 additional months to find employment in the NFL. That is more than fair. But not an entire year. 

I don't get the angst over this.  Barker and Mitchell agreed to mutually terminate Mitchell's deal.  That's totally a kosher thing to do in contract law.  Barker is just making his team more attractive to import talent -- which is kinda his job.

And not every player gets this treatment. Chris Williams, for instance.

But players that are contributing don't get cut. The ones that aren't good enough do. It's the same with any job. if  you perform at your job & I don't, I get fired. Like I said, I'm all for giving players their release as soon as they have completely fulfilled their contractual obligations. If that is the 1st week of November & the season's over I wouldn't make them wait until Feb 15th. I'll give them 3 additional months to find employment in the NFL. That is more than fair. But not an entire year. 

That simply is just not true.