Arland Bruce, classy as always

O2L

It was something to the effect that he wouldn't walk around naked in the locker room with a gay guy in there. That he'd have to wear a robe to be around him. It was really stupid, for sure, and he deleted quickly.

Serious question: Is he not allowed to feel that way?  Or is it just that it's not PC so they shouldn't say things that will bring heat on themselves and the CFL by the over-reacters?

It's EXTREMELY ignorant...

It was something to the effect that he wouldn't walk around naked in the locker room with a gay guy in there. That he'd have to wear a robe to be around him. It was really stupid, for sure, and he deleted quickly.

He must think that he is so devastatingly attractive sexually that he couldn't be resisted. Life must be difficult with all those guys and gals hitting on him.

Serious question: Is he not allowed to feel that way?  Or is it just that it's not PC so they shouldn't say things that will bring heat on themselves and the CFL by the over-reacters?

I suppose it depends entirely on what he said. If he has no problem at all with someone being gay, but isn't comfortable being naked around them, I suppose that's his body and his choice. The way I see it though, why is he then comfortable being naked around people (he assumes) are straight? Does he think that someone being gay automatically makes them some sort of voyeur or pervert? It raises deeper issues on his feelings towards gay people in general, and really isn't something that should be said in a public forum. That said, if his comment was solely that he would wear a robe in that situation, and nothing more (I didn't see the original tweet), then it's nowhere near as bad as what Bruce said. Still ignorant, but not the same as telling someone to bow down to god and questioning what is wrong with them for not liking "titties" and "coochie."

You may not be aware that in armed forces in some countries, men and women shower together without the them falling to the floor in writhing heaps.

You may not realize that many times when one references the movie starship troopers the first thing most younger men talk about is the co ed shower scene.

If this was a non issue then the public wouldn't have men and women restrooms and gyms and other facilities wouldnt have separate changing / locker rooms.

Just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean everyone else is the same.

Meh I wouldn't turner for being uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure female athletes wouldn't enjoy hetero men gawking at them naked when changing.

It wasn't ignorant what he said, that's just being honest.

What Bruce said was ignorant

It was hugely ignorant (which is basically a nice way of saying that we hope that Turner doesn't actually believe what he said) and ignorance like that is what creates an environment where certain people are excluded for reasons unrelated to being a good professional football player.  It's the exact kind of crap that was said about different races joining the locker room.  

Another ignorant comment is to equate a homosexual man with a female.  Good job!

What Bruce said is right out of the bigotry handbook...although he managed to slip ****, ass and coochie in the sentence prior.

I'd rather have 10 gay football players on my team who are good players and teammates than 1 Arland Bruce.

Its not ignorant if that is how he feels. Its ignorant to push your own beliefs just because someone doesn't agree with you.

For the record I work with lots of lesbian women and this HAS been an issue with other straight women feeling uncomfortable in our gyms change room being gawked and harassed to a point where they had to modify the showers to be individual stalls.

For the men it's a non issue and plenty of helicoptering is done on a daily basis.

Women and men both have been known to sneak peeks at the scantily clad or nude  bodies of others- not necessarily in sexual interest but in curiosity. It's human nature- the first thing we notice when seeing someone new come into our field of view is their gender. Its hard-wired in.

Here's Turner's tweet:

"@Blitz_Turner: Michael Sam locker room gonna come with complimentary robes."

Not in the same league as Bruce's nonsense.

edit: And Bruce has been released by the Als.

From that tweet, it sounds like he's speaking regarding the uncomfortable notion of certain guys in the NFL not wanting to walk around naked any longer. 

But thats just me, it's up for interpretation.

Shouldn't have been sent to begin with.

Here's Turner's tweet:

Yes it is. Both comments show ignorance and are uncalled for.

That's like someone calling a homosexual a "fruit" while another calls that person a "****". The words don't matter, it's the message behind them does.

edit: European cigarettes!!

I guess in order to be PC we must assume that anyone who is gay is also automatically a perfect human being with no potential for inappropriate sexual thoughts or actions.

To come out and say Turner's comments are HUGELY ignorant etc, is pretty close-minded itself.

That said, he shouldn't have said anything about it even if he thought it was clever or funny or even sincere. You can't win with this subject unless you parrot the enthusiastic acceptance and praise.

And what Arland Bruce said was offensive to virtually anyone, gay or straight, or Christian or non-Christian. Just a ridiculous, nonsensical bunch of gibberish.

Here's Turner's tweet:

That's like someone calling a homosexual a "fruit" while another calls that person a "****". The words don't matter, it's the message behind them does.

Yes, the thought police can decide what is allowed to be said, and by whom.  Fantastic idea.

Here's Turner's tweet:

They're not the same. Yeah they're both ignorant but one sounds like a joke while the other is straight up intolerance. I got no problem with ignorant jokes because you gotta be able to laugh. Yeah you shouldn't be putting them on twitter but still a joke is pretty harmless compared to denouncing someone for being gay. 

Homophobia is, by all reports, a BIG thing in the NFL, NBA and MLB, so it wouldn't be a big stretch to see Sam get drafted in late rounds and decide to come to CFL in order to make his rep and force the NFL to notice him. It happened to Doug Flutie, Warren Moon and other players who did not fit the NFL profile.

The US of A  is a very regressive place in many instances. All you need do is get off the interstates in Alabama or Mississippi and visit some of the small towns.

Here's Turner's tweet:

Yes, the thought police can decide what is allowed to be said, and by whom.  Fantastic idea.

We already have the thought police in Canada - human "rights" commissions. 

I guess in order to be PC we must assume that anyone who is gay is also automatically a perfect human being with no potential for inappropriate sexual thoughts or actions.

To come out and say Turner's comments are HUGELY ignorant etc, is pretty close-minded itself.

That said, he shouldn't have said anything about it even if he thought it was clever or funny or even sincere. You can't win with this subject unless you parrot the enthusiastic acceptance and praise.

And what Arland Bruce said was offensive to virtually anyone, gay or straight, or Christian or non-Christian. Just a ridiculous, nonsensical bunch of gibberish.

Nope.  You have it backwards.  Nothing should be assumed, and there are good and bad people of all kinds.  The problem with what Turner said is that he is making the assumption that a gay teammate is going to be hankering for a peek at his junk, and implies that is a good reason to not have a gay teammate at all.  It's just following on stereotypes.  Imagine if a white player or coach commented that the city will be sold out of fried chicken or something like that when a black player is signed.  It's ignorant even if it is said in jest.

Not sure where you read anything about "HUGELY" ignorant.... I think my post was clear that IMO (only an opinion, for the record) there aren't definable degrees of ignorance here.

Look at the CFL's comment on this: announce that both players have been fined. They didn't say one was worse, or that the penalty for one was more severe... because really that doesn't matter.

Both comments are offensive, and that's that.

Sounds like Turner was trying to be cute & funny but it backfired. I don't think he meant any malice even though it was a stupid thing to say. What's more "offensive"? What Turner said or the fact that Sam may be drafted lower than he should in May by the NFL? The NFL won't fine itself for that.

I don't want to live in a world where jbr is from... You wouldn't be able to speak a word without offending someone.

Essentially every person on here would be labelled ignorant for the mean spirited things they have said about Mack, Burke, Kelly, Buck, Friesen etc...