Arland Bruce, classy as always

O2L

Homophobia is, by all reports, a BIG thing in the NFL, NBA and MLB, so it wouldn't be a big stretch to see Sam get drafted in late rounds and decide to come to CFL in order to make his rep and force the NFL to notice him. It happened to Doug Flutie, Warren Moon and other players who did not fit the NFL profile.

The US of A  is a very regressive place in many instances. All you need do is get off the interstates in Alabama or Mississippi and visit some of the small towns.

Troy Westwood talked about this yesterday and agrees that Sam will have trouble with many players.  He talked about the influence of American players on the CFL and their Christian faith, though clearly they choose certain aspects of Christianity to embrace.  There are still racists among us today but we dont tolerate it in police society.  No doubt racists exist in pro sports but overt racism is simply not tolerated.

Is Bruce an idiot?  Absolutely.  He's actually a two-time loser.  1) for having those backwards opinions and 2) for being stupid enough to express them in public. 

Precisely this.

And anyone who thinks religious freedom / beliefs give them the right express such opinions - has another think coming.

We have individual freedoms only as far they don't interfere with anyone else's freedoms.

Precisely this.

And anyone who thinks religious freedom / beliefs give them the right express such opinions - has another think coming.

We have individual freedoms only as far they don't interfere with anyone else's freedoms.

well said, and I'm not saying I condone it, but how the hell is a tweet by some random dude about wearing a robe in a change room interfering with anyone else's freedoms? I just hate to see the random actions by some boneheads expressing poor judgement be used as an excuse for the state to become even more involved in our day to day lives, stating that they are protecting "freedoms".  Anyway, it's 2:00 pm here in Maui, happy hour just started, so aloha.

I don't want to live in a world where jbr is from... You wouldn't be able to speak a word without offending someone.

Essentially every person on here would be labelled ignorant for the mean spirited things they have said about Mack, Burke, Kelly, Buck, Friesen etc...

You're right. There is no difference between judging people on their character, personality, judgement and poor management/writing and judging people based solely on elements of their humanity that they don't control like gender, race and sexuality.
You can have sex changes, change your outward appearance and you can choose your sexual preferences at any time. Your points are invalid.

Lots of people took personal shots at Kelly. How many fat jokes were cracked about Lawless. What Roberts and his personal life decisions we mocked in the past. Maybe he couldn't help chasing big girls and smoking all the time.

in your world these people didn't choose to be the way they are.

no.. i don't think the bolded part is true.

I'm straight because i like women.. I didn't choose that, its just the way i am.. Pretty sure  Gay or lesbian individuals don't choose to like men or women.. its just the way they are.. 

I had many conversations with a co-worker when we worked together 10 years ago.. It was struggle for him growing up baptist that is heavy in preaching being gay is a horrible sin.. he still believed in his regligon  and couldn't come to terms that his religion taught him being gay was a choice, yet he knew he couldn't choose.. He was and only had been attracted to other males.

Precisely this.

well said, and I'm not saying I condone it, but how the hell is a tweet by some random dude about wearing a robe in a change room interfering with anyone else's freedoms? I just hate to see the random actions by some boneheads expressing poor judgement be used as an excuse for the state to become even more involved in our day to day lives, stating that they are protecting "freedoms".  Anyway, it's 2:00 pm here in Maui, happy hour just started, so aloha.

Is Mark Cohon "the state?"

"Freedom" is a flag flown by the weak and cowardly. 

You don't oppose gay marriage because you're Christian and believe in "your right to religious freedom." You oppose it because you don't like gay people. 

Wish these people would just admit it. They'd still be repugnant in my eyes, just less swarmy.

Its the same as the birthers here in the US. Its not because you think Obama might have been born in Kenya that you don't like him. That's a constitutional red herring.

You don't like him because he's black. Admit it, be an honest racist, and grow a set.  

See, you leave this thread unlocked and now I have to pour my worldly wisdom on all of you.  Ready?  Ok here it is:

Whether it's a choice or not, it doesn't matter.  What matters is treating others with respect no matter who they are.

There...that's all you need to know.