Miller gets the big picture

Mr. Perfect

I could see Walters making offers to Matt Carter and/or Mike Bradwell.  Both have been in the league for a while now.

Seriously?  That's bottom of the barrel, man...  why not bring back Hargs instead?

Not every signing has to be one worth putting a front page headline on.

I think everyone agrees that you can't fix all the mistakes that have been made over the past 5 - 6 years. And there's not one move that's going to immediately make this team a legitimate contender.  However, and I'm sure Walter's and Miller know that strengthening the QB position might just fix 50% of what needs to be done. 

The Burris deal could not be expected as who on this earth would have thought anyone would offer him $450,000 a year.  Walter's must have thought he was in good in a good position at $375,000.   And Collaros made a personal decision which most of us would have made as well. 

I also like the value that Walters places on the Cdn draft.  He's not willing to give up a high draft pick for a guy like Nicholls or maybe even Glenn. 

So we may or may not sign Willy and even if we do. He's unproven and yet to prove he can take that next step to become a capable #1 QB.  But we do know that the scouting staff have been mandated to find that next Zach Collaros   I also have more faith in that process as we now have a guy who knows what skills are required to be a QB in this league. 

So while I'm not looking forward to starting the season without a proven experienced QB. I do agree with Miller and Walters that we have to be patient and let them do their jobs.   This is  different organization and the infrastructure that we have today, should provide dividends in the future.  But the key word is "future". 

I could see Walters making offers to Matt Carter and/or Mike Bradwell.  Both have been in the league for a while now.

Seriously?  That's bottom of the barrel, man...  why not bring back Hargs instead?

I totally understand that...  but explain how Carter and Bradwell are any different from Hargs and every other ordinary backup NI receiver in the league...

Why go after those guys - if we don't have better talent on the roster than Carter and Bradwell right now, we're in more trouble than I thought.

To me, this is an actual case of just suggesting guys because they are on someone else's roster.

It would be a depth move with the potential to give these guys more playing time possibly.  Who do you think it would be?  There's only so much available.

It would be a depth move with the potential to give these guys more playing time possibly.  Who do you think it would be?  There's only so much available.

I just don't see any need for 27 year old journeyman receivers...  we already have Foster - he is a journeyman with flashes

Brett Carter should push for playing/starting time, Watson hopefully holds up, Renaud and Brescacin are no different from Bradwell/Matt Carter

I'd still gamble on Forzani... after the injury, he's not going to get a big signing bonus - lots of potential upside without tying up salary cap.  Only guy worth it imo.

They can't all be Baboulas.

They can't all be Baboulas.

I know right? It's so inconsistent.

In one thread, he's bemoaning our lack of participation in the heated Baboulas sweepstakes and in another, he's complaining that we might be interested in Mike Bradwell.

I don't mind Matt Carter but I don't think you want him out there every down.  He hasn't been incredibly productive but he does seem to have a penchant for making clutch plays when called upon.

I think it would be a stretch to call either of Carter or Bradwell "starting quality receivers."  Even Anthony Parker... maybe he still has the potential to be a good receiver, but I'm not sure you bank on potential for being one of your starters.

Certainly they must be confident that they are getting Kohlert back, because he is the best receiver scheduled to hit the market.

This team needs to win now.  We will see if the Bomber brass gets that.

Unless they can pay the bills with 25k in the stands....

Toronto pays the bills with half that.

They do ?

Pretty sure they're losing a lot of money each year.

I remember when Joe Mack understood the 'big picture' back in 2010...

Well hey, head down to IGF and tell Miller you're looking for a job. Be sure to tell him you clearly know better than him and Walters on how to properly run this team.

Fans have a right to be skeptical at this point, Mack, Kelly and Taman "knew more" than us fans and that's what lead us to where this team is now.

Brett Carter should push for playing/starting time, Watson hopefully holds up, Renaud and Brescacin are no different from Bradwell/Matt Carter

I'm not sure what Brett Carter's status is.  IIRC he was on the practise roster at the end of the season, which would make him a free agent.   I noticed that the CJFL site lists him as attending the CFL combine this year.

http://www.cjfl.net/cjfl-at-cfl-combine-2014-p190203

I hope the Bombers extend him.  He's got great hands based on his time with the Rifles and what he showed in training camp and the pre-season games last year.  Note:  I have a bias in favour of Manitoba players.

I don't mind Matt Carter but I don't think you want him out there every down.  He hasn't been incredibly productive but he does seem to have a penchant for making clutch plays when called upon.

I think it would be a stretch to call either of Carter or Bradwell "starting quality receivers."  Even Anthony Parker... maybe he still has the potential to be a good receiver, but I'm not sure you bank on potential for being one of your starters.

Certainly they must be confident that they are getting Kohlert back, because he is the best receiver scheduled to hit the market.

It's semantics with the whole  "starting quality receivers" thing.  Those guys could come in and get 250 - 300 yards each and Miller could say they are quality starting receivers.  Bombers could win 4 or 5 games this year and lose over half their games by 10 points or less and Miller could argue  the Bombers put out a "very competitive" product in 2014.

With that said maybe the Bombers will bring in another Canadian receiver who is more proven than these two once free agency begins.  Hopefully Kohlert for starters.

I'm not sure what Brett Carter's status is.  IIRC he was on the practise roster at the end of the season, which would make him a free agent.   I noticed that the CJFL site lists him as attending the CFL combine this year.

http://www.cjfl.net/cjfl-at-cfl-combine-2014-p190203

I hope the Bombers extend him.  He's got great hands based on his time with the Rifles and what he showed in training camp and the pre-season games last year.  Note:  I have a bias in favour of Manitoba players.

I think everyone here is rooting for him. He sure didn't look out of place on the field last year though. I wish they wouldn't of roster-ed him for that one game.

I hope Walters meant that he would like 3 starting NI receivers on the roster and not that he plans on starting 3 NI receivers.....

Take a chance on Anthony Parker maybe ???

In our case our talent is so bad I almost think we do. Almost any FA signing should start with "Halleujah! Praise The Lord!! We got another one!!" ;)

I hope Walters meant that he would like 3 starting NI receivers on the roster and not that he plans on starting 3 NI receivers.....

Take a chance on Anthony Parker maybe ???

I would think that would be pretty accurate. But he's like Etienne. First round pick, same year I think but hasn't done much. But in fairness to him, the Stamps receiving corps is stacked & has been for years so he never really got a fair shot to see what he could do. He could be a real sleeper & a player with some pretty good upside.