Rate the Bombers Offensive Line

gbill2004

I have developed a keen interest in the Bombers OL because I feels its the biggest area in need of improvement (aside from QB).  I'm going to rate our current OL's using the following system and would like to hear from other members on their ratings:

A = All-star

B = Above average

C = Average CFL OL

D = Below average

F = Completely useless pylon

My ratings:

Glenn January:  B

Chris Greaves: C+

Justin Sorensen: C

Steve Morley: C

Jarvis Jones: B

Patrick Neufeld: B

Tyson Pencer: C (limited sample size, but has significant upside)

Paul Swiston: C (potential for more but injuries seem to limit upside)

Andre Douglas: D

Shannon Boatman: F

Interesting Mike.  For the most part, you rated everyone a full grade below mine.  My thinking is that our OL isn't great, but is average.  The lack of a legit mobile QB, and poor OL coaching has contributed to making the OL look worse than it is.  A legit mobile QB can make an OL look much better.

You also rate Pencer very low.  Do you feel that he is a complete lost cause?

Interesting Mike.  For the most part, you rated everyone a full grade below mine.  My thinking is that our OL isn't great, but is average.  The lack of a legit mobile QB, and poor OL coaching has contributed to making the OL look worse than it is.  A legit mobile QB can make an OL look much better.

You also rate Pencer very low.  Do you feel that he is a complete lost cause?

I don't think there are a lot of lost causes on our OL. Morley, Sorensen and Boatman are probably the only ones.

Jarvis Jones is a guy who I can see turning out to be a grade A import OL, he's just gotta get the snaps under his belt to earn that distinction. Greaves could benefit from a new coach and I can see him hitting an all-star level.

I still think Neufeld, Pencer and Swiston have futures in the CFL as serviceable if not solid linemen, but as of right now, I just can't call them average.

January: C+

Greaves: C

Sorensen: D

Morley: F

Jones: C

Neufeld: TBD

Pencer: TBD

Swiston: D

Douglas: C

Boatman: Please no.

January may have been our best O-Lineman, but we're rating him against the league.  As an Import tackle, he is in the middle amongst his peers. C.  I don't believe that at present, we have an above-average lineman. 

Think there is potential in Jones, Greaves, Neufeld, Pencer, and to some degree Swiston.  If we can get one A out of the group and 3 B's; this O-Line would be a top-3 CFL group; and we'll be immensely better for it.  I'd say Swiston tops out as a C level player, but the rest can rise to B or better.

We don't know how well Neufeld is going to play as he never did once he came over from the Riders. So I like the TBD grade. Also, the comment saying that it's okay for January to be average if he was a Canadian (when he's not). I don't get that. Who cares about nationality? Either a player can play or not as a starter.

Is an F- allowed for the entire line ?

I kid, i kid, D+ to C- I'd say, Individually.......

January: B-

Greaves: C

Sorensen: D-

Morley: F

Jones: C+

Neufeld: NA

Pencer: C-

Swiston: D

Douglas: F

Boatman: F

The only way I would give January anything better than a C is if he was a non import.

Why?

cause he's quite average. 

I disagree.. Id rate him above average. I'd rate him in the top 6 depending if you want to count Van Zeyl as a T, and depending where you would put Van Zeyl, whom I haven't watched him closely enough to fairly rank.

The only way I would give January anything better than a C is if he was a non import.

Why?

cause he's quite average. 

I disagree.. Id rate him above average. I'd rate him in the top 6 depending if you want to count Van Zeyl as a T, and depending where you would put Van Zeyl, whom I haven't watched him closely enough to fairly rank.

January, at best, is a journeyman .. the fact he's the most reliable offensive lineman on our roster speaks more to our overall lack of talent along the offensive line than it does his ability.

That would be Mister two time all-star journeyman.  ;)

Name recognition does wonders for people ... I'd rather have a guy like Figeuroa .. he's an absolute beast, a guy with a mean streak .. and had a great first season with the TiCats .. easily better than anything January has done the past few years ..

Name recognition does wonders for people ... I'd rather have a guy like Figeuroa .. he's an absolute beast, a guy with a mean streak .. and had a great first season with the TiCats .. easily better than anything January has done the past few years .. if you're going to play an American on the offensive line .. he needs to be a difference maker .. January isn't that .. not by a long shot.

Name recognition does wonders for people ... I'd rather have a guy like Figeuroa .. he's an absolute beast, a guy with a mean streak .. and had a great first season with the TiCats .. easily better than anything January has done the past few years ..

Yeah well, you can't change the name of the game half way through by saying who we would rather have.

This was rate our O-Linemen and like I said GJ isn't a dominant player but he is steady and reliable.

It's about time we do start gathering some 'meaner' O guys with an eye to 5 A-type players, but you know you can't replace 5 guys overnight

Maybe this regime will do more than draft a couple of guys and 'hope' they do well.

I have a feeling all areas, to gather better players, will be explored.

That would be Mister two time all-star journeyman. ;)

Name me another "journeyman" tackle that the cflpa voted as an all-star plz.

I'd agree on the name recognition within the CFL..... you see that a lot with "potential" head coaches and certain fans going gung-ho simply because they think they recognize the name. 

IMO January is a very good LT. I'd only take Fulton, Bryant, & Bourke ahead of him, and Burke is mostly b/c he's NI.

Boatmen & Douglas need to go. Jones is already much better than both of them and he was only here for around a month. I think Jones has the potential to be a very good tackle. Unless one of our young NI's really stand out, I wouldn't mind him starting at RT next season.

Unfortunately the crop of free agent offensive linemen is looking pretty thin. If Tsoumpas and Bourke both re-sign with their teams, the only Canadian guys remaining are Andrew Jones, Wayne Smith, Steve Myddelton, and Scott Mitchell. Not sure if any of those guys can help us, and its not even any guarantee that they make it to free agency anyways.

If the Bombers want to improve their OL, it's going to have to be through a trade or the draft, or hope that Pencer or Swiston take a big step forward.