Redblacks to name Rick Campbell head coach

Mr. Perfect

I don't hate the name but is there was long standing historical meaning behind it or just some goofy idea to combine two colours.

What will fans chant? Go Blacks Go? Yikes.

not sure myself but id think its a far stretching attempt to reference the rugby side of football. (ie the "all blacks" from new zealand..

The Ottawa job is suicide IMHO. Expect them to have 2 years of losing before turning the corner, just long enough to get fired and the new guy start to win with the foundation you built.

I'd love to have Higgins here as DC. A rookie HC like O'Shea could really use a guy like that on the sidelines to talk things over with.

Yes, I agree with your first 2 sentences hence I liked what you had to say.The only guy I know who guided his football team from birth to a championship was Paul Brown of the Cleveland Browns in the late 1940's in the All American Football Conference. He coached the Browns before they joined the NFL in that league from 1946 to 49 where he won at least one championship. Then he won a number of NFL championships in the 1950's with that Browns team when the 2 leagues merged so it's extremely, extremely, extremely rare. Campbell is basically going there to do the work to set the Ottawa team up to eventually get fired in 3 or 4 years if he's lucky.
Tom Landry and Hank Stram also did it. Don Matthews also did too with Baltimore but had deck stacked in his favour.

The Ottawa job is suicide IMHO. Expect them to have 2 years of losing before turning the corner, just long enough to get fired and the new guy start to win with the foundation you built.

I'd love to have Higgins here as DC. A rookie HC like O'Shea could really use a guy like that on the sidelines to talk things over with.

Yes, I agree with your first 2 sentences hence I liked what you had to say.The only guy I know who guided his football team from birth to a championship was Paul Brown of the Cleveland Browns in the late 1940's in the All American Football Conference. He coached the Browns before they joined the NFL in that league from 1946 to 49 where he won at least one championship. Then he won a number of NFL championships in the 1950's with that Browns team when the 2 leagues merged so it's extremely, extremely, extremely rare. Campbell is basically going there to do the work to set the Ottawa team up to eventually get fired in 3 or 4 years if he's lucky.
Tom Landry and Hank Stram also did it. Don Matthews also did too with Baltimore but had deck stacked in his favour.

The Baltimore team was totally stacked. No Canadian players all Americans plus they signed away some key CFL FA's like Tracy Ham & others. They paid their players in USD while ours were paid in Canadian & back in those days the CAD was worth nearly 30% less. I wouldn't even include them in any reference to CFL expansion coaches taking their team to a GC championship because it is so ridiculous.

I don't hate the name but is there was long standing historical meaning behind it or just some goofy idea to combine two colours.

From the Ottawa Sun: http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/06/08/ottawa-redblacks-president-jeff-hunt-writes-why-the-name-was-chosen-for-the-cfl-team

I personally think it's the stupidest name I've ever heard.  Either way "Go Blacks Go" or "Go Reds Go"...they're going to sound racist.  But whatever.

From the Ottawa Sun: http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/06/08/ottawa-redblacks-president-jeff-hunt-writes-why-the-name-was-chosen-for-the-cfl-team

I thought it was a dumb name until I read that article. Then it made more sense.

Changing_of_the_Guard_Cerem.jpg

The name isn't bad. Whatever. I've heard worse. They could be the Montgomery Biscuits. Or the Savannah Sand Gnats. So it could be much worse.

But what cannot get any worse is their god damn insistence on yelling their name and having it displayed in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.

THAT is the worst idea I've ever seen. Talk about a great way to immediately become the butt of an infinite amount of jokes.

The name isn't bad. Whatever. I've heard worse. They could be the Montgomery Biscuits. Or the Savannah Sand Gnats. So it could be much worse.

But what cannot get any worse is their god damn insistence on yelling their name and having it displayed in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.

THAT is the worst idea I've ever seen. Talk about a great way to immediately become the butt of an infinite amount of jokes.

I've noticed that a lot of online outlets aren't bothering with the allcaps. Some articles I've seen from the Sun around Canada are going with RedBlacks. Googling REBLACKS this morning, and CBC.ca is also going with RedBlacks. It's such a dumb idea that it might not even gain enough traction to stick til the start of the season.

I've noticed that a lot of online outlets aren't bothering with the allcaps. Some articles I've seen from the Sun around Canada are going with RedBlacks. Googling REBLACKS this morning, and CBC.ca is also going with RedBlacks. It's such a dumb idea that it might not even gain enough traction to stick til the start of the season.

If it were up to me, I'd start having it out there in the media as the "redblacks"

WHATS WRONG WITH ALLCAPS???  AND CONGRATS TO RICKCAMPBELL.... :)