Redblacks to name Rick Campbell head coach

Mr. Perfect

Possibly going to Ottawa with his history with Campbell?

#CFL announces Tom Higgins is leaving his position as Director of Officiating immediately to pursue a coach or management position.

Wow.....He would look good in Blue and Gold as an OC :)

Defensive Coordinator.... He was a linebacker in the CFL.  That was his history as a coach also.

He has been a DL coach, OL Coach, OC, Ast HC, HC etc. etc.  I don't really care what position they give him but he might be worth a look....although I doubt that happens.

Hmm, the timing is odd. 

O'Shea hurries off from the presser to make calls.

Then Higgins resigns for parts unknown.

Curious.

Hmm, the timing is odd. 

Curious.

(the last part was just a visual review)

Interesting that Campbell had interest in Ottawa yet didn't want anything to do with Winnipeg.

Did he say that?  I don't recall hearing it.

We asked for permission to speak to him, like Dave Dickenson he said he was sticking in Calgary.

Right...I do recall asking for permission but I didn't hear that he didn't want to leave Calgary.  Oh well maybe they made a better offer in Ottawa.

Well it's really not hard to imagine why a coach might prefer Ottawa.

Ottawa is a completely blank slate.  Lots of opportunity to prove yourself as a head coach and form the team in your image.

And Winnipeg... well Winnipeg has lots of baggage, to say the least.

Hmm, the timing is odd. 

Curious.

Hmm, the timing is odd. 

Curious.

timing is odd too

Calgary lost their DC to Ottawa

Higgins resigns few hours after that

Ottawa is a completely blank slate.  Lots of opportunity to prove yourself as a head coach and form the team in your image.

Well, the coaching & management baggage is now gone totally. We have a team. We at least have a base to work off of. We do have experienced talent albeit not a lot. What's Ottawa got? Three unknown signed players? Whoop de freaking who??? And 24 fringe players they'll select in the expansion draft. Yeah, maybe they'll draft a good qb but who'll be blocking for him??? Who'll be the go to receiver or running back? Same on defense with all unknowns. Anyone going into that situation with 2 failed teams before them thinking there'll be no pressure to win will be in for a shock.

Interesting that Campbell had interest in Ottawa yet didn't want anything to do with Winnipeg.

Did he say that?  I don't recall hearing it.

I don't recall that either, but I do know he was considered a candidate for what was, at that time, the expected HC opening for Edmonton.

Hmm, the timing is odd. 

Curious.

Hmm, the timing is odd. 

Curious.

timing is odd too

Calgary lost their DC to Ottawa

Higgins resigns few hours after that

Tom lived in Calgary for years. Maybe he comes back to the Stamps as DC. Ironic as Huff replaced him as HC here in 2008.

Well, the coaching & management baggage is now gone totally. We have a team. We at least have a base to work off of. We do have experienced talent albeit not a lot. What's Ottawa got? Three unknown signed players? Whoop de freaking who??? And 24 fringe players they'll select in the expansion draft. Yeah, maybe they'll draft a good qb but who'll be blocking for him??? Who'll be the go to receiver or running back? Same on defense with all unknowns. Anyone going into that situation with 2 failed teams before them thinking there'll be no pressure to win will be in for a shock.

Like I said, the unknown is the exciting part for a new head coach.  Don't go thinking that a guy like Rick Campbell is just looking for an easy ride.  He wants a challenge, and thrives on challenge.  That's what motivates these guys.

And sure, in Winnipeg the coaching and management baggage is gone.  But what about the 60 players on the roster who know nothing but losing for the past 2 seasons?  The impatient and pissed-off fanbase and media?  Maybe he just didn't like the sound of how Wade Miller was running things.  That's what I mean by baggage.

The Ottawa job is suicide IMHO. Expect them to have 2 years of losing before turning the corner, just long enough to get fired and the new guy start to win with the foundation you built.

I'd love to have Higgins here as DC. A rookie HC like O'Shea could really use a guy like that on the sidelines to talk things over with.

The Redblacks hiring of Campbell is a good hire for them, seems as though this is the year of first time hires, but I suppose that's a good thing. The rumoured top 4 was apparently Lapo, Maciocia, Campbell and Bellfueille, out of those 4 I would have gone with Campbell................ maybe that's not a good thing for Ottawa. <_<

Higgins leaving his post is interesting timing, I'd love to see him here, but that seems a bit unlikely, could see him in Ottawa though.

It's more like a continuation of a trend for first time HCs. Not including the Bombers string of first time HCs, Edmonton went from Hall to Reed to Jones - all first time HCs. Milanovich in Toronto. Saskatchewan went from Miller to Marshall to Chamblin - all first times HCs. Montreal going from Trestman to Hawkins - again both first time HCs.

It's more like a continuation of a trend for first time HCs. Not including the Bombers string of first time HCs, Edmonton went from Hall to Reed to Jones - all first time HCs. Milanovich in Toronto. Saskatchewan went from Miller to Marshall to Chamblin - all first times HCs. Montreal going from Trestman to Hawkins - again both first time HCs.

My comment was more to the point of having 3 rookie HC hired in one off season. Without question it's becoming a trend in this league, which is a good thing IMO.

Noel Thorpe is expected to be named the new Head Coach in Montreal within the next season or two.

Arash Madani was on the Fan 960 today and was commenting on the current trend in the CFL of hiring first time head coaches vs. the past history of recycling.  He pointed out that all the new hires this year will be newbie head coaches.  He personally thought it was great for the league and of course all the up and coming coaching talent in the CFL that are waiting for their chance. 

Arash Madani was on the Fan 960 today and was commenting on the current trend in the CFL of hiring first time head coaches vs. the past history of recycling.  He pointed out that all the new hires this year will be newbie head coaches.  He personally thought it was great for the league and of course all the up and coming coaching talent in the CFL that are waiting for their chance. 

Yup I agree.  Good to get some new blood into the CFL in the coaching ranks, and in the QB ranks.  We are seeing that happening finally.

The Ottawa job is suicide IMHO. Expect them to have 2 years of losing before turning the corner, just long enough to get fired and the new guy start to win with the foundation you built.

I'd love to have Higgins here as DC. A rookie HC like O'Shea could really use a guy like that on the sidelines to talk things over with.

Yes, I agree with your first 2 sentences hence I liked what you had to say.The only guy I know who guided his football team from birth to a championship was Paul Brown of the Cleveland Browns in the late 1940's in the All American Football Conference. He coached the Browns before they joined the NFL in that league from 1946 to 49 where he won at least one championship. Then he won a number of NFL championships in the 1950's with that Browns team when the 2 leagues merged so it's extremely, extremely, extremely rare. Campbell is basically going there to do the work to set the Ottawa team up to eventually get fired in 3 or 4 years if he's lucky.