Rogers & CBC to sign 12 yr deal with NHL. TSN shut out for first time since '02.

Jimmy Pop

@TSNBobMcKenzie: TSN's national rights package for NHL games expires at end of this season and isn't being renewed. NHL to announce new CBC-Rogers deal Tues.

Okay, so not directly CFL or Bombers related, but suddenly the CFL is by far their biggest property now on TSN. Can we expect even more in depth coverage of the league now?

It's an almost certainty that several TSN guys end up at Rogers/CityTV to cover games and offer analysis there.

I'm mostly curious what Cuthbert does. He clearly likes calling both CFL and NHL, and moved to TSN during the CBC strike/lockout (can't remember which it was) many years back, which brought him back to covering CFL after CBC lost rights. Then he lucked out when TSN gained significant NHL rights again. Now, he'll likely have to choose -- CFL and American NHL coverage, or jump to Rogers and no longer call CFL games.

We complain about TSN's play-by-play/colour commentary, but IMO, Cuthbert is the best in the biz at any sport. Would be sad to see him leave the CFL.

I agree this is horrible news.

More likely they start the CFL season a few weeks earlier now too, which would mean more nice weather games.

The League won't change the start date of the season because of this. TSN is losing a chunk of programming from the fall so why would they want to see the season start earlier and have to find even more fall programming.

Apparently Rogers gets creative control of HNIC and exclusive national rights on Wed, Sat & Sun.  I read the Cup Finals will be off CBC in four years also.

Major push by Rogers.  Presumably they will sign away some TSN staff as well...at least lets hope they do.  I wonder if Bob Makenzie is a TSn lifer... Dreger?

How about TSN counter by convincing the CFL to start June 1st and add two games making the season 20 games per year.  That gives them an extra month of something...lol

The NHL not being on TSN is a good thing, god those guys are annoying as ****. Looks good on them after that big production about buying the rights to the HNIC song like it was the song that made the program what it was. 

Watch MacLean & Kypreos go back and forth for 15 minutes and you'll be begging for the TSN panel again.

I could run a show out of my basement with better production value than Sportsnet has. Terrible news. I'm actually honestly upset about this.  I love TSN's coverage.

The NHL not being on TSN is a good thing, god those guys are annoying as ****. Looks good on them after that big production about buying the rights to the HNIC song like it was the song that made the program what it was. 

Watch MacLean & Kypreos go back and forth for 15 minutes and you'll be begging for the TSN panel again.

I could run a show out of my basement with better production value than Sportsnet has. Terrible news. I'm actually honestly upset about this.  I love TSN's coverage.

They're the absolute worst.

TSN's broadcasts are head and shoulders above anything CBC and Sportsnet are currently capable of. They better be able to dig a little deeper in the war chest to find some money to hire some talent because if they can't/don't, ugh. 

Oh trust me I watch the Oilers and Flames on sportsnet all the time, I know what kind of tools they have there, but TSN became so focussed on the panel and the between periods being the actual show that they stopped worrying about the hockey. I hate that ****. I tune in for the game not your stupid ******* quiz or which harmless hit Duthie is going to try and turn into the biggest scandal of the week. TSN simply got too high on themselves and needed to be knocked down a peg. 

Could be bad news for the CFL if TSN gets knocked off basic cable, or if the pick and pay model for cable and satellite that the current federal government is pushing comes to fruition.

TSN will be fine without the NHL. They still have the CFL and likely will forever, they still have curling, they still have the national hockey stuff, they still do some NFL. I already watch more hockey on sportsnet than I ever did on TSN just because of their regional broadcasts. 

HNIC is far and away the best hockey broadcast in the world. There's nobody even in the same universe as what they do. Rogers should be begging them to produce their SNet stuff, but I fear it will be the other way around. Either way, TSN sucks balls with their uber-American -style broadcasts that are about kitschy entertainment factor, and little to do with hockey itself. I'm with BFFC in that I just want the most hockey on TV possible.