Rogers & CBC to sign 12 yr deal with NHL. TSN shut out for first time since '02.

Jimmy Pop

Rogers gets creative control over HNIC in this deal so if anything, HNIC will be changing.

But what if that means Rogers picks up the HNIC production team to run their stuff? Seems like a win win for CBC. They still get HNIC and don't have to pay these people to produce it. Just throwing it out there. 

That's what I'm kind of hoping. The real concern for everyone, and its totally valid, is what if Rogers is arrogant enough to think that their production is the best one out there and should be telling everyone else how to do things. I fear people who think Nick Kypreos and Doug MacLean are actual respected "insiders"...

Rogers gets creative control over HNIC in this deal so if anything, HNIC will be changing.

But what if that means Rogers picks up the HNIC production team to run their stuff? Seems like a win win for CBC. They still get HNIC and don't have to pay these people to produce it. Just throwing it out there. 

But CBC just gets to air and advertise for some of their shows all the other advertising revenues goes to Rogers apparently. And that hockey revenue makes up about 50% of CBC's revenue. Looks like the beginning of the end for CBC as a public owned entity. 

Sad that HNIC will eventually be phased out on CBC, it's iconic and a huge part of Canadian tradition. Not liking the idea that the Evil Empire is getting complete control over the NHL in Canada. The money in this deal is beyond ridiculous, and I'm not sure Rogers will actually make any money, which I suppose is a good thing. While I'm not a fan of Sportsnet's panel, the NHL on TSN panel has become tedious and I absolutely loathe Duthie and McKenzie. Also I could see TSN going all out with the NFL and NBA, which IMO isn't a good thing, I really don't see TSN going full force with the CFL, even though we are TSN's biggest property now.

Sad that HNIC will eventually be phased out on CBC, it's iconic and a huge part of Canadian tradition. Not liking the idea that the Evil Empire is getting complete control over the NHL in Canada. The money in this deal is beyond ridiculous, and I'm not sure Rogers will actually make any money, which I suppose is a good thing. While I'm not a fan of Sportsnet's panel, the NHL on TSN panel has become tedious and I absolutely loathe Duthie and McKenzie. Also I could see TSN going all out with the NFL and NBA, which IMO isn't a good thing, I really don't see TSN going full force with the CFL, even though we are TSN's biggest property now.

I think they end up making money on the backend of this deal.   12 years is an eternity, and the fact they got the price locked in for that long as the game grows, inflation rises, and advertising dollars follow, I think they will be fine.

I'd be curious to know how this compares to the top deal offered by TSN.

Bob Mckenzie is the only tolerable one on TSN and that's only based on the fact that he is a very reliable source for rumours. The rest of them are useless beyond belief. Hype is more important than substance for TSN these days. 

What substance do you think is lacking from their broadcasts? What do you want to see that they aren't doing?

I think they end up making money on the backend of this deal.   12 years is an eternity, and the fact they got the price locked in for that long as the game grows, inflation rises, and advertising dollars follow, I think they will be fine.

This is all I've found so far

"Rogers will make an up-front payment of $150 million, and then annual payments starting at $300 million, which will escalate to $500 million in the final year of the deal. According to CRTC data, TSN and RDS only took in a combined total of $541 million in revenue last year."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-scoops-nhl-national-tv-rights-in-5-2b-deal-1.2440645

This is all I've found so far

"Rogers will make an up-front payment of $150 million, and then annual payments starting at $300 million, which will escalate to $500 million in the final year of the deal. According to CRTC data, TSN and RDS only took in a combined total of $541 million in revenue last year."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-scoops-nhl-national-tv-rights-in-5-2b-deal-1.2440645

Rogers purchased way more inventory than TSN ever had though.

Bob Mckenzie is the only tolerable one on TSN and that's only based on the fact that he is a very reliable source for rumours. The rest of them are useless beyond belief. Hype is more important than substance for TSN these days. 

What substance do you think is lacking from their broadcasts? What do you want to see that they aren't doing?

It's more what they're doing that bothers me than what they aren't doing. Too much time devoted to sensationalising everything. They seem to care more about dissecting at length any little thing trying to make it into a controversy or talking about anything in the league other than the game they are broadcasting. Too much focus on the panel being entertainment rather than a supplement to the game that they are showing. 

It's more what they're doing that bothers me than what they aren't doing. Too much time devoted to sensationalising everything. They seem to care more about dissecting at length any little thing trying to make it into a controversy or talking about anything in the league other than the game they are broadcasting. Too much focus on the panel being entertainment rather than a supplement to the game that they are showing. 

But that's sort of everything now, thanks to the 24 hour news cycle. PJ Stock and Glenn Healy are just as guilty of that, and Kypreos is the worst. I like Tim and Sid, but they are so far over on the "entertainment vs substance" scale that anything TSN does pales in comparison.

Apparently Rogers gets creative control of HNIC and exclusive national rights on Wed, Sat & Sun.  I read the Cup Finals will be off CBC in four years also.

Major push by Rogers.  Presumably they will sign away some TSN staff as well...at least lets hope they do.  I wonder if Bob Makenzie is a TSn lifer... Dreger?

How about TSN counter by convincing the CFL to start June 1st and add two games making the season 20 games per year.  That gives them an extra month of something...lol

The injuries in the CFL are bad enough with 18 regular season games. I would hate to see what happens at 20.

But that's sort of everything now, thanks to the 24 hour news cycle. PJ Stock and Glenn Healy are just as guilty of that, and Kypreos is the worst. I like Tim and Sid, but they are so far over on the "entertainment vs substance" scale that anything TSN does pales in comparison.

yeah it's so pervasive and I absolutely hate it. PJ Stock and Glen Healy are nearly unwatchable as well.

How in the world is PJ Stock still on tv ?

Healy's shtick got old rather quickly, IMO he was only useful when he was working for the NHLPA and during the negotiations he provided some info to the networks.

I don't mind PJ, and tho Heals can be grating, the both of them are far from the worst on TV. Some of the idiots Sportsnet has, and the barrel-bottom-scrapings TSN has pulled in, like Mike Johnson, Jeff O'Neill, and Noodles as the "goalie guru".....ugh. What a ****-show. Between the 3 networks, if you wanted to, you could put together a hell of a dream team that would be the best in the world, bar none.