Rogers & CBC to sign 12 yr deal with NHL. TSN shut out for first time since '02.

Jimmy Pop

Could be bad news for the CFL if TSN gets knocked off basic cable, or if the pick and pay model for cable and satellite that the current federal government is pushing comes to fruition.

Rogers is the largest cable provider in Eastern Canada and they've never had TSN as part of their basic cable package. I can't see this affecting TSN's positioning in Western Canada.

Noeller, you mean Disney owning ABC, ESPN etc?

The media in the USA is largely controlled by 2, maybe 3 companies...Disney has a lot, as does Clear Channel...Fox owns a TON.....there's a pretty serious monopoly down there, tho it's more to do with radio than TV, but still....

The media in the USA is largely controlled by 2, maybe 3 companies...Disney has a lot, as does Clear Channel...Fox owns a TON.....there's a pretty serious monopoly down there, tho it's more to do with radio than TV, but still....

Saw a neat infographic about that a while back, 6 companies own something like 90% of the media in the states. That includes radio, TV, movies, newspapers, just ridiculous. 

Pfffft...you think WE'RE bad, you should see the States....it's ridiculous.

This is the first deal of its kind in the sports realm. First time a league has given exclusive rights in one country to one partner. That kind of screams CANADA!

Umm...the NHL has had the same deal in the states for decades with both ABC/ESPN (Disney) and then NBC/Versus later NBC Sports Network for national rights.  Regional rights are completely different, same as Canada.

The CFL has also sold it's entire inventory of television broadcasts to CTV/TSN since 2008.

Ugh.  Can't stand SportsNet's low budget presentation nor their awful announcers and hosts - Gene Principe lol.  

If they don't have regional coverage of the NHL on Saturdays it will be awful.  Means we will be stuck with even more Leaf games. Hurray!

Hope Cuthbert stays on TSN.  At least we would still have him as the lead announcer for CFL games.  Could you imagine Rod Black as the lead announcer is Cuthbert left for Sportsnet?

Maybe with the loss of the NHL, TSN will devote more tv time to the CFL.  A half post-game show after each game and a weekly CFL show starting in the pre-season extending all the way to the week after the Grey Cup.

Don't understand how anyone can dislike McKenzie.  Great insider, informed and always comes across as professional on-air.

Thanks for the clarification.

In terms of sports media, I believe Disney owns Espn through ABC, Comcast owns NBC sports, Fox = Fox Sports, CBS = CBS sports.

Be interesting to see what happens to Ron MacLean & Elliott Friedman in all of this. I wouldn't miss Stock or Healey but I would miss Friedman who always seems like the voice of reason on the CBC Panel. Don Cherry is 80 years old & really could be gone at any time as health can change for the bad on a dime at that age. I can't see Rogers getting rid of MacLean & Cherry as long as Don can still do the segment but you never know. If MacLean was replaced, I couldn't see Cherry fitting in & getting used to another on air partner at his age. Of all the CBC panelists, I hope that Friedman is kept. Healey is just so annoying. Kevin Weekes is kind of bland & doesn't have a strong on air personna.

Just an aside, but when TSN hired Brian Williams away from CBC about 10-15 or so years ago, he was supposed to be the face of CFL football on TSN & it never worked out that way. His role never was that dominant & now he's not even on the TSN football broadcasts anymore. .I guess he retired .I just get the sense things didn't work out for him.

Just an aside, but when TSN hired Brian Williams away from CBC about 10-15 or so years ago, he was supposed to be the face of CFL football on TSN & it never worked out that way. His role never was that dominant & now he's not even on the TSN football broadcasts anymore. .I guess he retired .I just get the sense things didn't work out for him.

He hasn't retired. He does in-depth interview pieces on the CFL broadcasts as well as covering other things (like he was really involved with the Vancouver Olympic broadcasts). Here's a piece he did during GC week: http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/Default.aspx?collection=109&show=134718&section=Sports