Burke Unhappy With Work Of Veterans

I'd say the Argos were trying to force the Bombers into revealing more of their protection packages by going after our QB's and I'm glad that Burke and Crowton didn't fall for it and get into a **** swinging match with them in a meaningless preseason game.

i don't buy this at all.

i doubt Jones cared at all to see Crowton's protection packages. he was busy doing his own thing, which is to attack the QB from different directions at different times. it's how they practice, it's how they scrimmage and it's how they play. it's the only way his D rolls and to be fair about it, coach Scott told Burke ahead of time.

no prob. keep thinking that the Argos went into a preseason game without 20 of their starters with the intent of getting Crowton to reveal his super secret protection packages that everyone is so intimidated by.

Okay, pre-season games are not 'meaningless' if they were, we would just start the season in mid-June and judge talent from practice.  The score is meaningless, the performance is not.

My concern for this pre-season is that we have now essentially announced that we're too scared to play Buck.  Translation:  Montreal gets to try out their blitz packages for the first six series of Game 1.

What kind of a motivator do you think this is for our defence - they are constantly being criticized on and off the field and now we are heading into the season with a starting QB with five real reps under our 'new offence'...  its scary, man.

i don't buy this at all.

i doubt Jones cared at all to see Crowton's protection packages. he was busy doing his own thing, which is to attack the QB from different directions at different times. it's how they practice, it's how they scrimmage and it's how they play. it's the only way his D rolls and to be fair about it, coach Scott told Burke ahead of time.

lol, yes that super aggressive CJ defence that lead the league in sacks.........oh wait........dead last with 27 last year, what's wrong with this picture???

Hey, I do like CJ, he is imo, the best DC in the league in recent memory but to say that this defences attack QB's..........the only time they attack QB's are when they are helpless on the ground or delivering a late hit. They play on the edge for sure but are far from some QB attacking machine.

lol, yes that super aggressive CJ defence that lead the league in sacks.........oh wait........dead last with 27 last year, what's wrong with this picture???

Hey, I do like CJ, he is imo, the best DC in the league in recent memory but to say that this defences attack QB's..........the only time they attack QB's are when they are helpless on the ground or delivering a late hit. They play on the edge for sure but are far from some QB attacking machine.

you made my point for me PE. the Jones D doesn't generate sacks. but it brings pressure from different places and disguises where it's coming from. and though we were low in sack totals, i believe that if anyone kept track of how many times a defence hit a QB, we'd be right up at the top. 

you made my point for me PE. the Jones D doesn't generate sacks. but it brings pressure from different places and disguises where it's coming from. and though we were low in sack totals, i believe that if anyone kept track of how many times a defence hit a QB, we'd be right up at the top. 

That's b/c they'll hit them no matter how long the ball has been gone.

Actually bluto, I don't see what a DC could learn about his players by having them blitz an offence that is doing nothing to try to pick it up?

you don't see what is to be gained by evaluating players in the mode that you'd be employing them in an actual game?

Not when the other side is offering no resistance to it, that's not an accurate assessment imo.

in that case, perhaps Jones should've just had his rookies and backups play a completely different defence to the one that he'll have his squad play all season...

...he wouldn't be able to see if they could play and understand his schemes... but at least he wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings and maybe Pierce could have stayed on the field for a sixth or seventh play.

Wiecek just tweeted that Burke said Etienne isn't just competing for a roster spot anymore, he's battling Poblah for the starting job.

Kinda thought Poblah's tires were a little over inflated - decent but never saw the "awesomeness".

How does being last in the league in sacks prove your point? Did I miss something there?

in that case, perhaps Jones should've just had his rookies and backups play a completely different defence to the one that he'll have his squad play all season...

...he wouldn't be able to see if they could play and understand his schemes... but at least he wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings and maybe Pierce could have stayed on the field for a sixth or seventh play.

your argument falls flat based on the fact that the blitzing immediately stopped after Buck was pulled. You should just accept the truth of the matter, Jones wanted to hurt Pierce in preseason simple as that.

How does being last in the league in sacks prove your point? Did I miss something there?

yeah. Jones sends pressure from anywhere at any down and distance. his DEs aren't given the greenlight to passrush whenever (hence Ricky Foley hating our system and wanting out). it's unconventional and leads to weird situations (like DEs covering a tailback's route 20 yards into the secondary), but minding the gaps on the D-Line always trumps passrushing and risking leaving a hole.

so we blitz. the pressure is coming from somewhere almost every play. and not doing it in an exhibition would be a waste of a plane trip to Winnipeg. 

your argument falls flat based on the fact that the blitzing immediately stopped after Buck was pulled. You should just accept the truth of the matter, Jones wanted to hurt Pierce in preseason simple as that.

we didn't see the game and don't know this.

frankly, i doubt very much that the blitz stopped. perhaps it was unsuccessful from then on or maybe the Bombers handled it better. in fact, i'm fairly sure that a Toronto sack by a LB happened in the 2nd half.

Jones is a good coordinator. However he's teams play unethically and take way to many cheap shots. CFL needs to start fineing that team and Jones for the good of the game.

the league might as well just write the cheques for the fines, as the money the Argos pay for the fines is just going to go right back to them for their annual bail-out anyway.

the league might as well just write the cheques for the fines, as the money the Argos pay for the fines is just going to go right back to them for their annual bail-out anyway.

new TV deal ought to have us out of the bail-out zone. must've been all the corporate sponsorship dollars from the prairies that prompted TSN to write the big cheque.