Burke Unhappy With Work Of Veterans

Mike what are these red flags you speak of? (I don't disagree but I think it would be good to recap on them!) I don't mind Burke's approach, my only concern similar to LaPo is that the lockeroom does not really respect him and with this young team we may have guys being unmotivated (i.e. playing way below their normal level).

what more of a red flag do you need? His team got absolutely demolished the week after he took over, usually that's the easiest game to get a team ready to play. They bounced back a bit the following week, but Burke makes one of the all time dumbest decisions in football and they lose anyway... then they get absolutely hammered again the following week.... Really concerning way to start. They he swears up and down that Pierce has to be the qb and runs out the guy who showed the most at the position last year.... He can be maybe too honest in the media when he should keep things in house a bit more... Just a lot of things that make you wonder if he's got the right stuff. I'll give him a chance because I do like the attitude overall, but he's gotta get the most out of this team or it'll be another new coach and another new GM.

I still fail to understand why we cut our most productive QB from last year and redesigned our offense around one that can't stay healthy and wasn't even as good anyways.

2011? Grey Cup appearance? Swaggity Swag Swag??

I liked Swaggerville because the players showed some life and energy. Forget not how PUTRID the offense was during swaggerville days and how the defense held us together during those many 2 and outs and bad field position scenarios.

Mike - We cut our best qb because he didn't listen not because of talent.

Buck is a great team player and a great human being. Unfortunately for Burke that does not equate to wins and production from the offense.

I'd be shitting bricks if I was Burke considering in both pre season games every single qb (aside from ours) moved the ball and scored points.

Even in years past with Kelly and Berry we had jobbers like Justin Holland or Richie Williams who could look good in pre season (and then fizzle out once they play against real defenses).

We were playing against back ups and yet still managed to stink the joint up. If we don't score 30+ points in Hamilton then full blown crisis will take over Bomber nation fans.

I'm at least satisfied with knowing that if things don't work out this year... at least next year we can rebuild and criticize a new coach and a new group of players! No more threads on Buck and Jade and our poop o line!

So what does that say about Buck? Because Elliott was better than he was last year.

Buck wasn't very good last year but Elliott wasn't better.  He could drive half the field like a champ, unfortunately when he got to the 35 yard line he became absolutely useless.  What good is that??

I still fail to understand why we cut our most productive QB from last year and redesigned our offense around one that can't stay healthy and wasn't even as good anyways.

never mind that the whole idea behind giving extra protection and relying on getting the ball out quicker probably is more suited to Elliott than Pierce to start with! 

Buck wasn't very good last year but Elliott wasn't better.  He could drive half the field like a champ, unfortunately when he got to the 35 yard line he became absolutely useless.  What good is that??

I'd take a guy who can drive the field before getting useless than failing to be able to drive the field at all. Turnovers in the red zone are a lot easier to fix than not being able to string a couple first downs together. 

I'd take a guy who can drive the field before getting useless than failing to be able to drive the field at all. Turnovers in the red zone are a lot easier to fix than not being able to string a couple first downs together. 

OK coach, if you say so.  I had no idea redzone turnovers were so easy to fix.  You should tell that to the hundreds of QBs who have failed in the CFL and NFL for that very issue.  If only they had that secret formula that only you seem to possess!

Don't think Buono picked up Elliott for nothing.  He knows when he sees a good thing.

OK coach, if you say so.  I had no idea redzone turnovers were so easy to fix.  You should tell that to the hundreds of QBs who have failed in the CFL and NFL for that very issue.  If only they had that secret formula that only you seem to possess!

He's got a point though.

I'd rather turn the ball over on their 15 yard line than punt it down to the 55.

The point is, if you're going to turn over the ball, it's better to drill down field and do it in the other team's red zone rather then turn it over in ours.  You can then work on the ability to make things happen in their red zone later.  At least there's something to work with.

Either throw it where only the receiver can catch it or take a knee and we'll kick a field goal! It's not like it was some huge insurmountable flaw going on there, it was a young guy getting too hot and horny to put the ball in the endzone. Exactly the kind of thing that good coaching can remedy without too much difficulty. Like I said, if the guy can move the ball effectively for the length of the field but an issue only comes up when you get close to the goal line then that's so much easier to fix than guys who can't move the ball at all.

Either throw it where only the receiver can catch it or take a knee and we'll kick a field goal! It's not like it was some huge insurmountable flaw going on there, it was a young guy getting too hot and horny to put the ball in the endzone. Exactly the kind of thing that good coaching can remedy without too much difficulty. Like I said, if the guy can move the ball effectively for the length of the field but an issue only comes up when you get close to the goal line then that's so much easier to fix than guys who can't move the ball at all.

Can't coach a guy who doesn't want to learn .. one of Elliott's problems was that he didn't do what was asked of him by the offensive co-ordinator .. that, coupled with the work ethic concerns some people have noted, earned him a trip out of town.

Maybe, maybe not.

But Buck can move the ball, he's not completely useless as you guys are making him out to be.  He had a bad year, for sure... but he's a winning QB and he always has been.  Because he protects the ball and he can make **** happen when the team needs it most.

Look, I'm not happy we're stuck with Pierce again either, I think it's insane.  But I'd rather go with someone who has a chance to be good rather than a proven flop like Elliott.

Is a pick six followed by an injury good for team morale?

But Pierce is a WINNER!!!!!! that guy left the team in so many holes last year when he got hurt it's not even funny and yet people still go on like he does only good things when he's out there and it's just the injuries that hold him back. Maybe in the past, but the pick 6 down the sideline has been a Pierce specialty for a while now.